Looking at some new Disc Brakes

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
So here's the deal. I got an Epic sans disc brakes. I took my Magura brakes and wheels from my Rockhopper to hold me over and put the wheels from the Epic on the Rockhopper.

Now I have new Mavic wheels for the Epic and I'm looking to put new brakes on as well so that I can return the rest of this equipment to the Rockhopper.

I'm thinking I may wanna stick with Magura but what are your thoughts.

-jay

A

Ant

I think you should sell me your extra wheels for $100 or less! :D

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Ant said:

That's what I'm looking to do! You should come by and check them out and you can see the house also!

-jay

A

Ant

Jason said:
Ant said:

That's what I'm looking to do! You should come by and check them out and you can see the house also!

-jay

ok...kind of busy this weekend. How about next weekend?

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I've narrowed my selection down to two brakes.

MAGURA martaSL @ 324 grams

Hope Mono Mini @ (one/two piece rotor 375/355 grams)

I think the Hope brakes look great and from reviews, perform great. I'm really not a big fan of brake fluid on my bike. Granted it's easier to get your hands on but I've seen a line fail and fluid shoot all over a guy's frame, wheels, tires, etc. It was a complete mess on his bike and on the trail.

The Mini is also very light compared to other Avid and Hayes brakes on the market even with an aluminum lever.

The MAGURAs are lighter with a CF lever and use Magura Blood to lubricate and activate the calipers. Unfortunately they are more difficult to locate online so pricing tends to be par with what you'll find at a shop.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I went with Hope Mono Mini with 2pc rotors. Review coming soon!

M

mike240se

did you sell the wheels???? I am thinking about going disc..... I maybe interested in them...
also

I want to upgrade to disc, my rim brakes are just not cutting it, once my 230 pounds gets going it doesnt want to stop that easy, jensonusa.com is selling oem alex td17 wheelsets with deore disc hubs for $80 for a pair! only 2100g for the set, i hear they are descently strong, what do you think? I could add the avid disc's for $80 each.....

Jason

JORBA.ORG
mike240se said:
did you sell the wheels???? I am thinking about going disc..... I maybe interested in them...
also

I want to upgrade to disc, my rim brakes are just not cutting it, once my 230 pounds gets going it doesnt want to stop that easy, jensonusa.com is selling oem alex td17 wheelsets with deore disc hubs for $80 for a pair! only 2100g for the set, i hear they are descently strong, what do you think? I could add the avid disc's for $80 each.....

I'm putting my old Mavic wheels and Magura Disc brakes back on my Rockhopper. I don't know too much about td17s but I'd say give those avid mechanical brakes a try. They got some great reviews.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Put the new brakes on today and DAMN are they light. Huge difference from my old magura brakes. They look hot and have some serious stopping power. I also got my rockhopper all set up with my old brakes and some flat pedals for get up and go action.

Top Bottom