Long term reliability of dart repairs

rlb

What's the consensus on long term reliability of punctures plugged with a Stans dart? I've flatted a road and MTB tubeless in the last week and neither held up on just Stans sealant. I don't really want to replace the tires (road in particular) but I also don't want a repair to suddenly let go (again, road in particular).

Details for anyone really bored:
I nailed something in the last 2-3 miles of a gravel ride last week. Initially the Stans did a good enough job of getting me back to the car, despite it peeing on me once or twice along the way. I had a strange feeling to top off the sealant before the ride since it had been quite a while, I'm glad I followed through with it. I hooked up the kid's trailer on Saturday and got about halfway down the road and it started leaking again. This is a fairly new Panaracer Gravel King that I like, and don't want to replace if I don't have to. Going to dart and see.

So I walked back home and moved the trailer over to the MTB, which I had not touched in forever. I get the tires filled and off we go, and I start thinking about that sealant again. We get around the neighborhood a bit, make it to the playground, and all is well. As we're leaving I turned around in a grassy area under some tall oaks and I get a puncture from (presumaly) a stick. I quickly learn there is enough Stans in the tire, but it wouldn't seal. This is a fairly old tire (cant even remember what at the moment) so not a big deal to replace, but I'd rather not if I can salvage it since it's got a decent amount of tread left.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I had one pop out on the mtb in a few weeks, but others have reported them staying out until the tire dies.
You can always take the tire off and patch it from the inside.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

You can always take the tire off and patch it from the inside.

This is what I was looking to do initially but I didn't find a good solution after some brief googling. What have you used?

Looking into it more on this site it looks like the options are the Hutchinson rep'air kit, glue on tube patches, or automotive patches. I have some tube patches so maybe I'll give that a try. I also wanted to bring the road bike on vacation (leaving Sat) so I'm torn on ease of repair vs. reliability, since time to pull and repair the tire is going to be scarce this week.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
This is what I was looking to do initially but I didn't find a good solution after some brief googling. What have you used?

Looking into it more on this site it looks like the options are the Hutchinson rep'air kit, glue on tube patches, or automotive patches. I have some tube patches so maybe I'll give that a try. I also wanted to bring the road bike on vacation (leaving Sat) so I'm torn on ease of repair vs. reliability, since time to pull and repair the tire is going to be scarce this week.
I just use a regular vulcanizing tube patch. I actually and going to do that tonight on the repair mentioned above.

Karate Monkey

If it's in securely, it's pretty permanent (though on a road bike, you'll probably feel it every time it hits the road).

I prefer the rope type repairs for permanent use, since they cut flush/you don't feel them quite as much.

That said, I preferencially patch tires, unless it's a fairly minor hole.

rlb

Thanks for all of the input. I haven't had the chance to look closely at the road tire yet, I guess that will help inform what I'll do.

goldsbar

Nearly anything can be fixed on a MTB tire. Just takes time. Don't go too fast or you'll wind up having to do it all over again. Just like a tube patch, if you don't do everything correctly, a portion will start to peel off.

Buy a can of vulcanizing cement, standard tube patches and superglue. Clean the sealant from the patch area and lightly sand the inside without damaging the threads. Optional next step is putting superglue all over everything inside and outside and letting it dry. Mandatory step is patching the inside of the tire just like you would a tube. Bigger gashes can be pieced together with a leather sewing needle, fishing line and the above.

Road tires...those are harder.

Andypowerful

Unknown.jpeg

Top Bottom