Long rides: Fixed Gear / Singlespeed

Spylab

Curious if anyone else here attempts longer road rides on a singlespeed or fixed gear bike...

I got into cycling purely with MTB, however after moving to within close proximity of work several years ago bought a Surly Steamroller and built it up as a 47:17 fixed gear for the occasional commute.

Just about a year ago I started focusing on getting healthier and committed to riding the fixie to work every single day, no matter what (currently at 254 consecutive days, approaching 1 solid year on August 2nd). I set a goal weight loss for myself, and when I get there I will treat myself to a wicked road bike.

In the meantime I've been venturing out on this thing, making a fool out of myself pushing it up some of the hills in the area.

On July 4th I set out for my longest fixed ride to date; I know the speed's not all there (I could still stand to lose a few dozen pounds), but I was pretty proud of this loop. Sadly lost the flag somewhere between Newton and Andover:

http://app.strava.com/activities/64736159

Wondering if I'm the only masochistic fool in the MTBNJ family...

1006212_10100535513249195_1217509179_n.jpg

Last edited:

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Impressive ride for a Fixed.

I know a few local fools in town here that train on fixies in the winter. Hill climbing and all. Hurts thinking about it.

I love my fixie but The rides I do on that bike are usually just back and forth to the bar :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Matty's done some long ones on his commuter SS. I think a 70 miler and a 100.

I used to ride my fixed quite a bit when I had it, but I don't think I would have passed 40. The long uphills killed my back.

Robin

That's awesome! I recently tried a fixed gear at the track and it's definitely a whole other level of riding!

I grew up in Wantage and went to school with the Space kids (well...maybe grandkids). I remember when Goliath was alive!

Great post!!!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wow. That's pretty damn far. I haven't found the time to do a longer ride like that but my longest ride on my singlespeed is 36 miles so far. Hoping to break the 40 mile mark on a ride this month.

icolquhoun

rode a fixed gear as my only bike around 2004-2005 and did some pretty long rides 80+(one from long valley to new hope PA and back is permanently etched in my brain), but set up with a 39x18. I still have 4 bulged discs from that damn bike that constantly act up;)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
solid spylab yeah as soundz says I got a couple long ones in plus a century SS. I had a super bling Seven built a couple months ago and still put more mileage on that old trusty commuter. I built that SS up mid Jan and I am now approaching 3000 miles on it. When the time is right I will retire it for a natureboy...

Ron

I had a Specialized Langster back in the day. At the time I lived in North Brunswick. I did the North Brunswick to Lambertville ride a few times, a little over 50 miles round trip.

I would love to get another SS for the road. It was a lot of fun.

Spylab

As the Strava data shows, some sections were TOUGH for me. The first 8 or so and last 10 were particularly dreadful, but having surpassed my previous distance ride by almost 30 miles it's wholly expected.

I'm sure that 80-100 milers would be more tolerable for a guy at my fitness level if I were further south, where the hills aren't so much a given. Even if I shed another 20 pounds I think that the 47:17 has its limitations around here.

That said, I'm sketching out a ride to PA and back in the next couple weeks, weather dependent. I'm sure anyone who rides road and sees me probably has a laugh to themselves, but the hope is that by the time I'm ready to build up a proper road bike, it'll be game-on-beast-mode style!

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Geez that's a stiff gearing. I'm riding a 42:16. I wish I had more gear when going down sometimes but going up is just about right - at least most of the time. But I'm in flatland country (central).

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Geez that's a stiff gearing. I'm riding a 42:16. I wish I had more gear when going down sometimes but going up is just about right - at least most of the time. But I'm in flatland country (central).
70 inches is the magic number for a road fixie. I ran 42x16 for years, now I have 44x17, which is essentially the same gear.

I've been riding fixed on the road since 2005, on a LeMond Fillmore, and have regularly done rides of 3+ hours, including group rides with rotating pace lines. You really learn how to pedal your bike, it has tremendous benefits. And it's LOTS of fun.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
i finally broke 40 miles this week on my road SS. on wednesday, i rode out to the sourlands from somerset and went up lindbergh rd to go over the sourland mtns this time. i like that climb a little more than zion - it gives you a few spots to breathe vs zion's non-stop straight up. the province line kicker sucks balls. i was barely grinding it out in spots. i nailed a good avg speed (for me) for the full ride - came in a full m.p.h. over what i thought i would average.

i'm gonna shoot for 50 or 60 miles as my next long road ride, but probably won't be able to do that until after i move, which is the end of the month. my legs are happy about that. those few spots where there are really steep grades in the sourlands are just about my limit with this gearing. haven't walked yet tho!

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job there Clark. You need to come with me for a solid SS ride up near my hood.

MikeP

I saw 4 girls riding the ACS Philly ride on fixies. I asked the one girl what was the farthest she'd gone a fixie, she said come look for her at the finish. This was 18 miles into a 66 mile ride. The route was relatively flat so I think SS would be very doable but losing the ability to coast is something I wouldn't wanna try on such a long ride. Props to her and her crew.

Spylab

I saw 4 girls riding the ACS Philly ride on fixies. I asked the one girl what was the farthest she'd gone a fixie, she said come look for her at the finish. This was 18 miles into a 66 mile ride. The route was relatively flat so I think SS would be very doable but losing the ability to coast is something I wouldn't wanna try on such a long ride. Props to her and her crew.

I would say that if I had flat enough terrain around me, I would be game for 100+ miles. I have ridden the fixed so exclusively on the road that the inability to coast is just an accepted norm at this point.

From where I'm at, though, there's no direction I can go 50 miles out without encountering climbs beyond my / the bike's ability. I would say that 50 miles in northwest New Jersey would easily trump 100 out in Nebraska from an effort standpoint.

That said, I commend ANYONE willing to put mileage down on a fixed gear. The disadvantages are so glaring, but I tell myself the improvements as a cyclist in general on one of these things is huge.

Spylab

Planning another long one from Succasunna out to PA and back via some side roads that straddle 46. Trying to stay off 46 as much as possible, though a couple sections (including Hackettstown) are inevitable; also trying not to double-back.

On the way home I am trying to avoid riding/walking up Hackettstown Mountain in the highway.

Looking at my options and I see Grand Street, leading to Allen Street, meeting with Schooley's Mountain.

If I can get from this point to 24 / Main Street Chester I am in good shape.

Question being; how miserable will that stretch of Schooley's be?

Top Bottom