Locations for a Pedro's-like Festival, Jersey style?

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Gang,

There is some chat within JORBA about attempting a Pedro's-like / Jim Thorpe Mtb weekend stype weekend mtb fest.

Nothing is firm at all, its all talk... but I thought it might be interesting to get some feedback from ya'll. So here goes:

If you were in charge of organizing it where would you hold it?

Keep in mind that it should be somewhere that can accomodate 100 + people and have a good mtb trail network and be willing to host vendors' tents, and various mtb-related antics on display from the participants. If you've been to mtb weekend or Pedros, you know what I mean.

Some considerations would also be onsite camping, nearby eats/drink and a central location. But these are not not the major issues. I weigh them as niceties.

The trail network and facilities to accomodate the wekend long event is the most important factors.

Throw out your ideas... I'd love to hear even the wacky ones!

mergs

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cool idea for sure. Lewis Morris?? they already allow the H2H so maybe a piggy back on that would make sense.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unfortunately, a lot is already done at Allamuchy. But it would be the best place for it, with the Waterloo fields and all to hold the vendor tents. You don't get camping there, though there's no reason you couldn't use one of the fields. If I ruled the world I would move the 12 hour race from Allamuchy to another venue and have the festival there.

Ringwood? Is there sufficient parking at Shepherds Lake? What about vendor space?

Lewis Morris has the camping, fields, and parking. But is the trail network sufficient for a weekend? Seems after day 1 everyone would have ridden every trail.

Don't know enough about MD.

Mountain Creek? I imagine costs would be extraordinary there.

Final thought would be Wawayanda, because it would be a neat out of the way place. Has camping. But does a state park work for this?

SpartaBard

locations

ditto for MD. Onsite camping, plenty of room by the athletic fields for vendors. Trails galore including nearby WMAs. Moderately convenient location.

Second option would be Waywayanda, but not very convenient.

Allaire, Allamuchy would be good options as well, less convenient locations for the bulk of the state though.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i think it really depends on what they want the primary focus to be: is it going to be the festival or the trails?

rocknrollgirl

100 + people??? I think you would have significantly more than that, judging by what I saw at Pedro's this year. I think you would be surprised.

Bob W

JORBA: Allamuchy
JORBA.ORG
Pump Track and fest!

Mergs - we need to chat about his more!!! Are you really going to put on in? I was thinking about the same as a winter project in the backyard, or side yard.

Actaully, Allamuchy would be an ideal location due to miles of trails and avalibility of camping (Stephens) fileds (Waterloo). Another possibility would be to use the BSA camp. Possible do a split on the revenue and resposibility. I would not base it out of Deer Park, regardless of the 12 hr race. You will have issues with the camping aspect. Also traffic would be a problem given the road.

I think Ringwood would be a great choice as well. Lots o trails and maybe could find a way to use the old BSA camp, Tamarack right? What does Pixy think???

Wayway, good also but out of the way. MD too small, although good camping. LM too small.

Hey theres tht place with the 35 miles of single track I heard about someplace. I think one of my friends mentioned it on that other site. that would be cool!!!

If we (JORBA) can get folks involved with the leg work, it could be a good thing. This is something we should talk more about.

See ya,

Bob W.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bob W said:
I would not base it out of Deer Park, regardless of the 12 hr race.

My comment there is more along the lines of there being 3 events already at Allamuchy this (and hopefully next) year.

Bob W said:
Hey theres tht place with the 35 miles of single track I heard about someplace. I think one of my friends mentioned it on that other site. that would be cool!!!

Took me a minute to get. I think you forgot the "inches wide" part.

Would love to help in any way possible. Here are a list of my strengths:

-Eating
-Drinking

If I can lend these talents in any way to the cause, please let me know.

Norm

Shaggz

A strong 7
Bob W said:
/QUOTE]

It has been so peaceful over here, please don't draw "it's" attention... LOL

anrothar

entirely thrilled
mahlon is definitely not too small when you consider the surrounding wma's. look at it on a sattelite image, the amount of woods, and trails there is huge. plenty of site camping, but there could also be camping at snowbowl. pedrosfest doesn't have hookups for each campsite. if the event was in the summer, parking could be had at the middle/high school. jefferson twonship rec dept would probably be excited to help out in any way they could as well. i work for them, the boss would probably be all about a major event in the town, even though mahlon is out of our jurisdiction. plus the township mayor and several other big names in town working for mcpc.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
bonefishjake said:
i think it really depends on what they want the primary focus to be: is it going to be the festival or the trails?

trails and group rides with festival secondary. think 60% riding... shower up then socialize afterward... kinda thing. that's my vision of it.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Bob W said:
Mergs - we need to chat about his more!!! Are you really going to put on in? I was thinking about the same as a winter project in the backyard, or side yard.

Actaully, Allamuchy would be an ideal location due to miles of trails and avalibility of camping (Stephens) fileds (Waterloo). Another possibility would be to use the BSA camp. Possible do a split on the revenue and resposibility. I would not base it out of Deer Park, regardless of the 12 hr race. You will have issues with the camping aspect. Also traffic would be a problem given the road.

I think Ringwood would be a great choice as well. Lots o trails and maybe could find a way to use the old BSA camp, Tamarack right? What does Pixy think???

Wayway, good also but out of the way. MD too small, although good camping. LM too small.

If we (JORBA) can get folks involved with the leg work, it could be a good thing. This is something we should talk more about.

See ya,

Bob W.

Groundbreaking for the Pump track has begun... its a meagher start... but hey I had to beat Art to the punch. ;) el, tell art i picked up "pump track nation" (good stuff).

back on topic... yeah... Mike Flatley is dead serious about this. I want to help him fulfill that dream :) its on our oct agenda as well. i think its totally doable.

I love the feedback here everyone! great ideas... great electronic brainstorming. but i am holding my thoughts for a bit more til everyone has chimed in and beaten the topic to death... then i'll resuscitate it ;)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
NJ Pedros??

I have been to almost every Pedro's fest for the last 10 years. I was at the early fest in Randolph VT too.

This is a HUGE undertaking with big manpower and $ behind it.

I think they had about 3500 people last year.

Keep in mind that trails need to be avalible for all skill levels.

This is not an easy task.

J

mergs said:
Groundbreaking for the Pump track has begun... its a meagher start... but hey I had to beat Art to the punch. ;) el, tell art i picked up "pump track nation" (good stuff).

;)

Pump track sounds good... I've gotta figure out how to get free dirt... then build in Parsippany. Isn't dirt suppose to be "Dirt Cheap"?

As far as the local parks go.. imho Ringwood seems to have a nice layout for vendors right next to the trails (centralized set up) parking I guess, but I don't see camping.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Stratocaster said:
Pump track sounds good... I've gotta figure out how to get free dirt... then build in Parsippany. Isn't dirt suppose to be "Dirt Cheap"?

As far as the local parks go.. imho Ringwood seems to have a nice layout for vendors right next to the trails (centralized set up) parking I guess, but I don't see camping.

hmmm... iIf we do a single day event, packed full of vendors, group rides and all around nutty carnival atmosphere, maybe we can simplify things a bit and not require the camping aspect... thinkin aloud here.

Downsides/upsides to a day event vs. a weekend event?

Try throwin a sign out front saying: "Clean Fill Wanted" Let us know if it works :)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
one day event would mostly attract only locals, unless it is coordinated with a race the next day perhaps. things would also be really crammed together. people would have to pick and choose what activities they would be able to squeeze in. most riders attending would only be capable of one ride a day, therefor they would be driving all that way to go on one ride and check out some vendors, probably drink, then drive home? at least two day is definitely the way to go. friday through mid-afternoon sunday would be best.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
sat thru sun would be ideal... esp if we did it at a place such as Waterloo... which has a liquor license. we don't want folks riding, then drinking, then driving. i think a "beer tasting" at 8pm is in order, espec. after that "allamuchy epic" earlier in the day. speaking of... i think a beer after this sun's "all-a-muchy epic" is in order as well :) slainte!

NEMBA does a "fest" too: http://www.nemba.org/mtbadventure/NEMBAFest2006.htm

(they do a Sat event then have a race on Sun, as you noted above)

Top Bottom