Local Bike VS Internet (Nashbar or Performance)

scalpel6

I was in a local shop today and over heard a guy crying about how he could get an item he was buying for cheaper online.

Why do you choose one over the other? Do you value your relationship with the local shop or is it always about the $$$$$$$$$.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I was in a local shop today and over heard a guy crying about how he could get an item he was buying for cheaper online.

Why do you choose one over the other? Do you value your relationship with the local shop or is it always about the $$$$$$$$$.

It really depends on what I'm purchasing. Most of the time I shop online simply because I enjoy the convenience of having it shipped to my door for a lower price. If we are only talking a few bucks difference and I don't "need" the item quick then I don't mind going to my LBS.

The Rose

I do 90% of my purchasing at my LBS. You can't beat the service. Also if they don't have what I need it's there in about 2 days. Also if there is ever a problem it's easy to remedy the situation.

Shaggz

A strong 7
It's a real quandry because once you start hitting bigger ticket items at, for sake of argument, a 20% price differential, the price discrepancy becomes more glaring. For example, I am looking at wheelsets, and WANT to support my lbs. However, a $100 plus price difference is hard to pass by Mrs. Shaggz, even if I use the support the local business argument, which we both firmly believe in.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Give me a shot.

I think you might be surprised at what I can match or even beat.

There are many cases where online is cheaper. Most often this is for closeout items that don't sell well.

Most buyers for a LBS will buy what they ride themselves. They have done some product testing and research already.

All the guys at our shop ride and break tons of stuff. We sell what we would use ourselves.

There are more bad products out there than good. A great shop can help by weeding out poor products.

j-

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Give me a shot.

I think you might be surprised at what I can match or even beat.

There are many cases where online is cheaper. Most often this is for closeout items that don't sell well.

Most buyers for a LBS will buy what they ride themselves. They have done some product testing and research already.

All the guys at our shop ride and break tons of stuff. We sell what we would use ourselves.

There are more bad products out there than good. A great shop can help by weeding out poor products.

j-

To prove his point, he's hooking me up with a great price on a new rear shock and the items he couldn't match were '05 closeouts.

Maurice

The only great shops I go to are unfortunately too far from me. I don't always have the time to do the trip.
The nearby shops... well don't get me started. I swear sometimes I'm really embarrassed for them.

Online at least you can source exactly what you need, and the convenience can't be beat.

It's a shame because I end up spending a decent amount of money on small items every season.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only great shops I go to are unfortunately too far from me. I don't always have the time to do the trip.
The nearby shops... well don't get me started. I swear sometimes I'm really embarrassed for them.

Online at least you can source exactly what you need, and the convenience can't be beat.

It's a shame because I end up spending a decent amount of money on small items every season.

Maurice

Same thing for me. My LBS isn't so L. I like the shop though so I keep going.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a real quandry because once you start hitting bigger ticket items at, for sake of argument, 20%, the price differential becomes more glaring. For example, I am looking at wheelsets, and WANT to support my lbs. However, a $100 plus price difference is hard to pass by Mrs. Shaggz, even if I use the support the local business argument, which we both firmly believe in.

what about the 'if something goes horribly wrong with my new purchase and i have to overnight said purchase back to colorado or montana or where ever and i'm going to be out of a bike for a week will it really matter that i saved $100?' argument?

that's the one i used on myself and it worked.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what about the 'if something goes horribly wrong with my new purchase and i have to overnight said purchase back to colorado or montana or where ever and i'm going to be out of a bike for a week will it really matter that i saved $100?' argument?

Never have only 1 bike.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
at the time i did.

now i have four that need to be three so i can add another fourth. :D

PedalPaddles

I purchase most of my stuff online that doesn’t need a professional mechanic to install it. I have a long commute and little time to drive to a shop and it’s just easier for me to point and click if I’m going to wrench it myself. For example, tires, chain, cassette, etc. On the other hand, I went to Halters for a headset on my road bike and had a pro mechanic install it. I was very happy with the service AND THE PRICE. I enjoy working on my own bike, but this worked out well since I don’t own a headset press and reaming tools. Jason is also better at wrapping the handle bar tape.

Note: I think it is totally bogus to buy it cheaper on the web and ask a LBS to install it. If you do, you should expect full labor charges.

walter

Fourth Party
My vote goes to the local bike shop. I have absolutely zero mechanical ability so even if I did buy stuff online, I would probably pay out the ass to have it installed. I'm more comfortable keeping money local, having things installed properly, and if some thing does go wrong, I have someone available to repair it.

For a while my wife and my sister were buying me online gift cards, so I would spend the money on stupid things like movies, tubes, tires, clothes, etc. They both know now that I would prefer a gift certificate from somewhere local, and they are fine with that.

That said, a few weeks ago there was a discussion on here about pedals, someone was looking to buy some online, J said he could probably match or beat the price, I stopped in the next day and was extremely happy with my purchase.

All in all, to me, the money sometimes saved doesnt compare to the relationship you can get with local business.

jdog

Shop Keep
My vote goes to the local bike shop. I have absolutely zero mechanical ability so even if I did buy stuff online, I would probably pay out the ass to have it installed. I'm more comfortable keeping money local, having things installed properly, and if some thing does go wrong, I have someone available to repair it.

For a while my wife and my sister were buying me online gift cards, so I would spend the money on stupid things like movies, tubes, tires, clothes, etc. They both know now that I would prefer a gift certificate from somewhere local, and they are fine with that.

That said, a few weeks ago there was a discussion on here about pedals, someone was looking to buy some online, J said he could probably match or beat the price, I stopped in the next day and was extremely happy with my purchase.

All in all, to me, the money sometimes saved doesnt compare to the relationship you can get with local business.

Ahh schucks.. I love you too!

Shaggz

A strong 7

this should be taken in the context of my thoughts on the mavic wheelset, I have been assured by several sources that if something goes horribly wrong, it'll probably be a catastrophic failure which would mean that being without a bike for a week would be the least of my problems. Like Norm said, spare bike, spare parts, whatever. Using the LBS exclusively is not a guarantee that you will have no down time, either.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
no argument there, but at least you can hold more than "customer service" responsible.

D

DANSPANK

Just out of interest jdog, where is your shop? I'm going to be looking for a few bits and bobs to beef up my MC Fury for Diablo excursions. Little things like a 7" rotor, new pads, a new star nut and a new rear wheel. I may also want to swap the headsets over between two bikes. All little things that, when you add in the shipping, make a trip to a local chap really worth while.

Plus I could perhaps peruse your road bikes and see what one of those single speed things with 29" bits look and feel like.

Cheers, Daniel.

jdog

Shop Keep
Just out of interest jdog, where is your shop? I'm going to be looking for a few bits and bobs to beef up my MC Fury for Diablo excursions. Little things like a 7" rotor, new pads, a new star nut and a new rear wheel. I may also want to swap the headsets over between two bikes. All little things that, when you add in the shipping, make a trip to a local chap really worth while.

Plus I could perhaps peruse your road bikes and see what one of those single speed things with 29" bits look and feel like.

Cheers, Daniel.

Hey Daniel,

My zip code is 08852..

Give me a shout at 732-329-9022 and I will guide you here.

Thanks

j

D

DANSPANK

Gotcha. How 'bout this, next time there's a group ride in the area that we'll both be on then we have a chat then? You're about an hour away from me.

Top Bottom