Lo Mo Monday

ever have one of those days that just suck the joy right out of living?

I usually use a run or a good lifting workout to take the edge off of my SUCKY days at work. But today the motivation just was not there. I had a really good cry on the drive home and was so exhaused I poured some broth into a bowl, drank it for dinner and vegged on the couch.

How do I get back in the groove? How do you all cope and get back on track?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I thought for sure the word "poured" was going to be followed shortly after by "red wine". Good for you for not giving in to the dark side.

I take Mondays off for any number of reasons, those you cited being among them. I find it helps keep the motivation there, while giving me a rest day on what can often be a crappy back-to-work day.

Other times I just ride it out. If you don't want to do anything, don't. You may be in dire need of sleep, or a good solid meal, or both. You may just need a day off, or to vent about your boss, or someone else. So sleep, eat, vent, or veg. Do whatever you need to do to get you from here to there.

And then sometimes I just get on the bike anyway. Some days, especially when it's spring or fall, when you're tired and you wake up and it's 40 degrees out, are really tough to get going. I remember one day in particular it was 50 and raining. I really didn't want to go but I stuck to it and went for the ride. It turned into a great ride. It warmed up enough for the rain to not be cold. And I was so low-energy that I took it easy and things just clicked the whole day.

In the end, hang in there. You'll feel better tomorrow.

NJ Jess

sorry U feel so Down

Everyone's been there one time or another. If I'm down and out cause I'm not getting that "something" done, I just start doing it,...with baby steps.

If I can't pin point it,...I talk a shot of Niquel and sleep. I wake up with enough renewed energy. I either tackal the problem or enjoy a really good bike ride. Either way, I win.

Shaggz

A strong 7
How do I get back in the groove? How do you all cope and get back on track?

I'll lend you my kids for a week, you'll be begging to get get back to your old routine. JK - this is a very hard time off year, with the cold weather, short days. Good luck shaking it.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The first thing that comes to my mind is your avatar- take the dog out for some fun. Impossible to have a bad time running around with a dog, methinks.:D

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll lend you my kids for a week, you'll be begging to get get back to your old routine. JK - this is a very hard time off year, with the cold weather, short days. Good luck shaking it.

yeah, EXACTLY what shaggz said. having two 28 month old girls screaming at you to watch the little mermaid/cinderella/mulan/lion king/wiggles/mickey mouse clubhouse/handy manny/boo-bahs/barney/the big comfy couch will get you motivated to get out...and QUICK.

oh, and they are identical, so you get the added bonus of figuring out WHO wants what.

PedalPaddles

I usualy think back about absurd conversations I’ve had with my riding buddies. You know, the typical discussions about which light to get, the one for $300 or the brighter one for $500. Should I get the carbon fiber frame or that custom Ti frame. Upgrade my brakes to disc or go with new XTR? People spending thousands of dollars on HD televisions and paying hundreds every month for digital cable.

Then I think about those folks that ride bikes because they have to. They ride to work, have no health insurance and a retirement fund is an impossibility.

Then I do a load of laundry and if I still had a dog I would make raspberry noises on her head until she freaked out. Dog's can usualy cure most blues.

Hope you feel better today. Check this out, you're not alone:

January 22 is the most depressing day of the year, according to Wales-based psychologist Cliff Arnall. Arnall talks with Luke Burbank about why the day is so depressing, how to get through it and when to mark the happiest day of the year on your calendar.

To listen:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6939432

Last edited:
mmmm. beer. :D

Go for a ride. Cheer up, its almost friday, sort of... closer than yesterday at least.

Thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to a few Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPAs on Friday night. That oughta cure my blues.

That and a good sit in the woods on Saturday. My treestand is peaceful and quiet, and the sun shines on it from behind me all morning. I need some meditation time, I think. It will be good to see the sun. Being cooped up in an office without windows, arriving at work in the dark and driving home in the dark is a recipe for madness.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to a few Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPAs on Friday night. That oughta cure my blues.

That and a good sit in the woods on Saturday. My treestand is peaceful and quiet, and the sun shines on it from behind me all morning. I need some meditation time, I think. It will be good to see the sun. Being cooped up in an office without windows, arriving at work in the dark and driving home in the dark is a recipe for madness.

no doubt. that is one thing i really miss...just sitting in the woods and listening.

D

DANSPANK

If I've had a shite day and can't make it to the gym or bike then I wait until I get into the car and am off down the road a little and then just start absolutely screaming bloody murder - the filthier the languiage, the better. I guarantee that in less than 15 seconds you'll be laughing your arse off at what a muppet you sound! Promise!

Shaggz

A strong 7
That and a good sit in the woods on Saturday. My treestand is peaceful and quiet, and the sun shines on it from behind me all morning.

i had to read this twice, because the first time around i though it said - "That and a good *sh!t* in the woods on Saturday..."

i had to read this twice, because the first time around i though it said - "That and a good *sh!t* in the woods on Saturday..."

no, no, you only poop under a deer stand if you really, really do not like someone.

DANSPANK, I have a plethora of colorful phrases that I unleash at will against unsuspecting drivers on my commute home. That and a fake laser gun that lights up when you pull the trigger. I keep it on the passenger seat and point it at the dickie-moe f-tard c-wads I have to share the roads with in Princeton. It is a fantastic tension reliever. :getsome:

Well, today was still a sucky workday but what am I going to do? I hate my job and pray everyday for the buildings to be swallowed up by the Saarlac but that will never happen, so I am going to leave instead. But first, I have a workout to complete.

God! get this half-mary over with already so I can stop running and start riding again! Why did I ever sell the flippin' road bike??? April 29 cannot get here fast enough.

D

DANSPANK

Isn't a half-mary when you stand there with your trousers 'round your ankles?

ArmyOfNone

no, no, you only poop under a deer stand if you really, really do not like someone.

DANSPANK, I have a plethora of colorful phrases that I unleash at will against unsuspecting drivers on my commute home. That and a fake laser gun that lights up when you pull the trigger. I keep it on the passenger seat and point it at the dickie-moe f-tard c-wads I have to share the roads with in Princeton. It is a fantastic tension reliever. :getsome:

First i must say that reading this made me laugh extremely hard out loud. The fact that you have a toy laser gun in the car is great. That has to be such great stress relief!

Secondly, I work for princeton university, and i know what your dealing with traffic wise. It truely is amazing to see people utterly disreguard traffic. Thank goodness i work the midnight shift. i dont deal w/ any of that BS.

whats april 29th? new bike? if so your so close it would be silly not to get out and ride!

Top Bottom