Listed inaccuracies in McCain's speech

mwlikesbikes

That's why I try to catch The Daily Show & Colbert Report whenever I can Because of the way they'll show a clip from last night's speech and play clips from past ones and show all the differences and how they contradict each other. The best fake news around!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
That's why I try to catch The Daily Show & Colbert Report whenever I can Because of the way they'll show a clip from last night's speech and play clips from past ones and show all the differences and how they contradict each other. The best fake news around!

Check this:

"A poll released earlier this year by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press found that 21 percent of people aged 18 to 29 cited "The Daily Show" and "Saturday Night Live" as a place where they regularly learned presidential campaign news.

By contrast, 23 percent of the young people mentioned ABC, CBS or NBC's nightly news broadcasts as a source."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/apontv.stewarts.stature.ap/

It wouldn't surprise me if they percentages were higher now...

This is an interesting article too...

http://people-press.org/report/319/...e-changed-by-news-and-information-revolutions

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

Good one, thanks. No doubt the onslaught of TV news does little to actually benefit people. My wife and I keep away from CNN and Fox News entirely (except maybe Anderson Cooper who's harmless) since those networks are pretty awful. (The documentary Outfoxed had former managing editors talking about memos delivered from above regarding what the "journalists" will cover and not cover that day. Despicable.)

I love Keith Oberman since he's completely unapologetic in his rancor of Bush, but I can obviously understand a right-winger not being able to take him. Maybe the McLaughlin Group and Meet the Press are the only decent political shows on TV, much of the rest is soundbite crap.

ItsWin

I'm a conservative, but I like hearing from both sides, so I can get the full story. I can't stand TV news anymore, but I surf both CNN.com for the liberal perspective and HumanEvents.com for the conservative.

Believe it or not, the TV news program that comes closest to being truly objective (i.e., more straight facts, less rhetoric and partisanship) is BBC News.

Can't stand the two presidential candidates. Absolute numb-nuts, both of them. In '92 we had two of the smartest candidates contesting the office (Clinton and George H.W. Bush for all you kids out there). Less than 20 years later we have without a doubt the two stupidest. Just goes to show Americans are getting dumber too. At this rate, I'll be president in a decade.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I agree with some of what you're saying, but I just don't see Obama being stupid. Harvard, magna cum laude? Editor, Harvard Law Review? I'm pretty sure he's smarter than you and me.

ItsWin

OK, to clarify: I'm not referring to academic achievement. Our current President graduated from Harvard Business School, not that that makes him a genius either.

I'm talking about political acumen and knowledge of foreign and domestic policy. If you want examples of presidential candidates who actually had that kind of smarts, think George H.W. Bush, on paper, probably the most prepared-for-office presidential candidate this country ever had. Think Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, and JFK. Think our founding fathers.

Obama has already displayed an almost alarming lack of foreign policy expertise. Witness his confusion about the Arab-Israeli conflict, his choice of Joe Biden as his running mate, and his refusal to accept McCain's townhall-style debate challenges (think Lincoln-Douglass). Unless he proves otherwise, I'll have to think the analysts who say he's vulnerable away from the teleprompter are correct.

To be clear, I hate McCain too. He's what us real conservatives refer to as a RINO (Republican In Name Only). I had supported Fred Thompson, by far the most politically intelligent out of all the candidates in either party, and a true conservative to boot - but fat lotta good that did me.

As citizens, the most important things to do in an election year are: 1.) give a damn, 2.) get as much information as we can from as many sources as we can, 3.) sift through the lies to find the few truths that really matter, and 4.) go out and vote.

All you FactCheck users are way ahead of 90% of people in this country who turn on the TV and believe everything they hear on the news, and I applaud you for that.

Wazu

Go McCain!!!!!

Glad to see McCain pulling ahead. I despise huge government, programs and taxes. Hey if Obama was only one quarter black but his appearance was all black, would he still be the first black president? How about an eighth? How come we never hear about the half of him who raised him and we always hear about the half who left him behind? I just find it unusually amusing the way the media works. I'd vote for a black/asian/hispanic on the conservative side but so far there ain't been any.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I despise huge government, programs and taxes.
Party ideology and recent history are two very different things. Under a Republican, government spending is greater than ever and citizen privacy is less than ever.

And stick to the issues. Barrack doesn't control what the media focuses on any more than McCain does. Barrack mentions his mother frequently.

Wazu

Tuche

Well, wars do add a dime or two to normal spending. I'm not proud of how the war was initiated and sometimes handled either, however I'm behind each and every soldier of course and I only wish they win the war that their friends are dying for whether is just or not. I'm excited and scared to death with Sarah Palin. I'm excited that she appears to want to cut taxes and spending and I trust John McCain at the helm in these troubling times.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
...I'm excited and scared to death with Sarah Palin. I'm excited that she appears to want to cut taxes and spending and I trust John McCain at the helm in these troubling times.

Is the "scared to death" part what would happen if Mr. McCain was incapacitated or worse?

Yeah, me too.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Welcome Back Wazu

Congrats on the new addition to them family!

Curious about the change of heart:

Then:
If you want to divide people the easiest way is to discuss politics.

One day I picked up a DirtRag magazine. I noticed that on the first page of the mag that there was a note from the editor reguarding politics. It was very clear what "side" of the fence the editor was supporting in his piece. Owning a business, I learned way way back not to discuss politics because it alienates about half the customers who disagree. It cost me. From that point on I have never revealed my political views to customers. People are very passionate about politics and it causes divisivness. Thinking I would help out DirtRag by telling the editor about how it would definately cost him customers, I wrote him. I care. He wrote me back and basically told me to shove it in a nice way. I was really trying to help him too! Now I don't buy DirtRag. It's a biking magazine and they should have just stuck to bikes. I think his name was Maurice Tierney or something like that. Bummer, cause I really used to like the mag but I can't get past thier stupidity in revealing their political views. They lost one customer that was very happy before that.

LMAO (not sarcasitcally either) I've still not said who I'm for or against. I'll keep that to myself like the curtain on a voting booth. I'll make light jokes about either side if it so tickles me while you guys actually talk politics. I find it quite entertaining, especially in the middle of winter cause I'm bored. BTW imo if you locked down this thread without anyone fighting at all you'd be a forum Nazi and against the first amendment. So if I were you, I would not take your own advice Norm. Shaggzz is right. There's nothing wrong with an open discussion about potential presidents. The question is, does the discussion really belong in a mountain biking forum. :D

Now:
Glad to see McCain pulling ahead. I despise huge government, programs and taxes. Hey if Obama was only one quarter black but his appearance was all black, would he still be the first black president? How about an eighth? How come we never hear about the half of him who raised him and we always hear about the half who left him behind? I just find it unusually amusing the way the media works. I'd vote for a black/asian/hispanic on the conservative side but so far there ain't been any.

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Well, wars do add a dime or two to normal spending. I'm not proud of how the war was initiated and sometimes handled either, however I'm behind each and every soldier of course and I only wish they win the war that their friends are dying for whether is just or not. I'm excited and scared to death with Sarah Palin. I'm excited that she appears to want to cut taxes and spending and I trust John McCain at the helm in these troubling times.

We're all for supporting the troops -- that's not the issue. I support them first and foremost by asking to bring them home before more die for no reason anyone knows of. You can't rationalize keeping them there just because others died there.

Governor Sarah Palin wants to teach creationism in schools, is against a woman's right to choose even if raped, lies every time she gets in front of a microphone with regard to earmarks and the bridge to nowhere (a ridiculous issue, but one she brings up every speech), thinks global warming has nothing to do with humans, thinks wolves should be shot from airplanes, traveled outside North America for the first time 12 months ago, and hired a firm to lobby the federal government for earmarks for her tiny town -- and got it -- $27 million for a town of 9 thousand people. (Seriously, I grew up in Waldwick, same size -- Do you think their mayor is campaigning to the federal government for $27 million?:D) A real solid choice to help lead the American people.

Sachem6

For a guy who advertises for Factcheck.com, the facts you point out are wrong. She doesn't want teachers to teach creationism she wants the teachers to discuss it with students to let them come up with there own opinion.
And also I am one of the troops and I can't stand people who say they "support the troops" but then say it's for a worthless reason or for no reason at all. Believe it or not the troops know why they are there and believe in the cause. Somehow nobody wants to hear about that or care about it. For once I would like to hear any Democrat say win instead of pull out.

Top Bottom