Lime's Disease AGAIN !!!!! Damn

Jess, I do hope your feeling better real soon!

This is the best stuff going-
http://www.shootnhunt.com/insect_repellent/2001935.html
We use it during fall bow out in Allamuchy, hardly ever bring any tics back with us...

You can get the same thing at Walmart for about $5 it's Repel Permanone. Permethrin is the active ingredient and works great!

http://www.repel.com/ProductCategories/SpecialtyProducts/Permanone/

I'm sure you've heard of the clothing "Buzz Off" this is the chemical that's been imbedded into the clothing.

So do you spray that on your clothes prior to putting them on or once they're on avoiding making contact with skin?

Yes, ideally you should put it on your clothes the night before.

Kerry

Last edited:
Feel better Jess!

I just got back from the doc and the embedded tick was a deer tick. 7 days of doxycycline for me just to be safe. With all the exposure I get, I'd rather be safe.

Thanks again, everyone

Gee, so many healing vibes,..I feel better already. Actually, day 2 on Doxcyc. has helped a lot. My right side of my abdomin doesn't feel so bad. I will say the stiff neck, achey numb left shoulder blade, and useless thumbs today weren't so good. I can only do so much, so I guess it's up to my body to heal.

I will be at the beginner 501 tomorrow,....can't stop riding,...just need to slow down. And now I need to go to bed.

What a trooper! I hope you continue to improve and are back to yourself in no time!

So...I did a road ride today,came home, showered, threw on a pair of shorts I'd worn earlier in the week, and when to the kitchen to make some lunch.

Standing at the counter, I suddenly feel the intense sort of itch that indicates an insect bite, at my waistline, just behind my left hip. I give a scratch, and then take a look. There is a small, slightly reddened area, similar to what a mosquito bite might produce, but there is also a very small black-ish attachment. I absently scrape at it with my thumbnail, thinking it might be a scab of some sort. It doesn't come off on the first pass, so I scrape at it again.

At this point, it occurs to me that it could be an attached bug. Sure enough, it pops off, and I have a tiny tick on the end of my thumbnail. Not engorged, and not particularly lively. It's in a container now, about the diameter of a poppy seed, and flat. Definitely not what I'd call engorged.

The bite looks like a mosquito bite right now, about 7-8 hours later.

A few interesting elements: I've not been to the woods since Tuesday, so where the hell did this guy come from? Was he hanging out in my clothes since Tuesday? And I've not recalled anyone reporting an itching sensation at the time of the bite, which I certainly had.

Anyway, I guess I'll wait and see what develops at the site of the bite and hope for the best. I'm not too stoked about sticking antibiotics in my body without due provocation.

Last edited:
oh no! well if you need someone to sit out biking with for a while here i am! hahaha. hopefully you recover well from it!

A few interesting elements: I've not been to the woods since Tuesday, so where the hell did this guy come from? Was he hanging out in my clothes since Tuesday? And I've not recalled anyone reporting an itching sensation at the time of the bite, which I certainly had.

Friggin' ticks are everywhere this year. It isn't unusual to find a couple in my house in a single day; they're hitchin' rides on the kids, I guess.

Sneaky little bastards too. On a couple of occasions I've "tick checked" myself before hopping in the shower only to find one of the little bastards while drying off...it is like they appear out of thin air.

I've never seen anything like it. A neighbor was telling me that the flying insects are bad up here this year because some fungus wiped out 90% of the bat population. If you stop while riding at MDR the flying bugs do seem a bit worse than last year, but they're nowhere near as bad as the ticks...

You're not kidding about the ticks. My family went hiking in Norvin Green SF Bloomingdale/W.Milford border a couple weeks ago. They stayed on the trail. On the way home my son picked 37 off his clothes. :eek: The dog... well, I pulled 38 off the dog then went to the studio. While I was out, my son found another 30 on the dog. When I came home, I combed through his fur(the dog's) and pulled off at least another 35. And they were the ones I could see. That's just insane!!

Next day, I see a tick crawling up my wall around 4" from the ceiling. The freaks will go anywhere. I'm surprised that I don't see them more often. We live in a wooded area that's often visited by deer and on occasion, bear. We have a chestnut log cabin with cedar planking for floors(= LOTS of places to hide). I don't know if the dog serves to bring in more ticks or just keeps us from being eaten alive! Good thing he's had his vaccinations and Frontline:eek:.

I couldn't even stop on my ride today to bookmark my location on my GPS, I was immediately intensely swarmed by mosquitos. I've never experienced that before.
Kept me moving though! haha

Reading all these tick posts makes me think I'm not doing a good enough job of looking. Since I started mtb biking last year, I haven't found 1 on me.

I had one a couple weeks back. It was only on me for a few hours, and I never developed a rash.

Doc said I should be fine, then I started getting weaker and with flu like symptoms, blood test came back negative but I opted for anitbiotics anyways.

Sure does suck...

I did the ole reach around on myself and god damn it, I hit that familiar feeling of an attached bastard of a deer tick. It looked like a flax seed, so it must have been suckin' for a while. I think I picked it up at the Watchung reservation... that's all I have to say about that

Strong dose of antibiaotics my friend. That lymes stuff is no good, IDK where to begin explaining what can/did happen.

Back
Top Bottom