Lights

• Thread starter Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)
  • Start date
R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

Hello,
I am looking for a light so I can train on the local trails and get some night riding in. I want to have an option other than the trainer for when I can't start riding until later on.
If you use lights, what do you recommend for trail riding. I have 3 options from excelsports but I am sure there are more.

Thanks,
Jason

NiteRider MiNewt Mini USB Plus (smallest and cheapest but looks like it might get the job done)

NiteRider MiNewt X2 LED Light (middle price)

NiteRider MiNewt X2 Dual LED Light (looks like a lot of light and most expensive)

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
You will want one that mounts to your helmet. The X2 dual is handlebar only. The other two will go either way, but IMO not bight enough. I use the X2 as a backup just to get me back to the car if my trinewt runs out. The MiNewt USB + is really only for commuting, although Jim V uses it for night riding.

BMXxXJ

i love my minewt usb. i use it for commuting and for the trail. i'm currently just using the handlebar mount, but i'll be getting a second one for my helmet for some more stable light.

rlb

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/category/lights-shootout/

I was researching lights a few months ago (FWIW looks like there are updates on the shootout since I last did my research) but these were the 2 options that looked the best to me:

Niterider: Dual Minewt & a Trinewt

Dinotte: 600L and dual 400L

I can't remember if you should have your "big" light (ie the Trinewt or the 600L) on the bars or on your helmet...

Either way, the best results will be a bar & helmet combo. LED lights are bright enough now that you don't have to deal w/ HIDs anymore.

BTW this is all research based, I never wound up buying lights...

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
If you're only getting one set for now I would recommend a helmet light. You're able to aim your helmet light and you can't with handle bar mounted light. I've done lots of night rides and believe me, you will want to aim your lights, especially on technical and twisty stuff. I always ride with both helmet and handle bar mounted systems. On long straight aways and climbs I would conserve my helmet light by shutting it off because I want to make sure I have enough juice in it in case the ride ends up longer than expected.

I'm sure Niterider stuff is better than when I had them but I had the Digital 12E and it was very unreliable and has failed me twice, both during races about a mile into a night lap. I had to do rely on my helmet light for the rest of the lap. HID's are just too expensive and I think LEDs is all you need. They burn a lot longer and cooler than halogens and they are a fraction of the price of HIDs. I just got a set of Princeton Tech Switchback 1 and has a long burntime. I tested it a couple of times and both times I got over 5 hours on a full charge. I would give that a look.

BiknBen

The MiNewt USB + is really only for commuting, although Jim V uses it for night riding.

I've ridden with JimV at night. He had to get behind me cause the shadow of himself from my light made it impossible for him to see. :rofl:

I would only use the USB light on my head with another primary light on my bars. I suspect it would also be adequate for Road night riding. Just not enough output for off-road use. unless you are desperate.

BiknBen

...I can't remember if you should have your "big" light (ie the Trinewt or the 600L) on the bars or on your helmet...

The brighter light should be on the bars.

It is all about the shadows. Because a helmet light is close to your eyes, you can't see the shadows that are cast from it. All the objects on the ground tend to look flat.

A bar-mounted light is closer to the ground and not near your eyes. The shadows will be longer and you can see over the objects to the shadow behind them.

If you have just one average light, I recommend putting it on the helmet. If you have something super-bright with a descent spread, put it on the bars. Two makes a huge difference but you have to start somewhere.

C.Puncher

I use the Light n Motion Lithium Ion Arc. Handle bar mount....road and woods. Secondary light on the head; Night Rider Storm HID. Night Rider is a great company, and the product hs lasted the test of time and extreme conditions. (Heavy rain and mud.) Only drawback to HID is a halo effect in very humid conditions. I've had the Night Rider for 6 years. Night Rider's tec support services cord, battery and lamps economically after warrantee expires.
Light n motion is great , and holds a charge 3-4 hours, I haven't had it as long, so no long term feedback.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I read on the "other site" that Dinotte is having a sale on the 400/800 set for 449., and the dual 400 for 369, etc... They also have a trade in deal for their old sets. A lot of the people I ride with swear by their Light & Motion Stella L's.

BiknBen

A lot of the people I ride with swear by their Light & Motion Stella L's.

Just for clarification, be sure to get the Stella "L". the L stands for Lithium battery and is 200 lumins. There are a number of other Stella models that are only 120 Lumins. For comparison, NR MiNewt USB that we have been bashing is 110 lumins.

My helmet light is only 150 lumins. It puts out just enough light when used in conjunction with my HID bar light. It would NOT be adequate in the woods by itself.

THATmanMANNY

stella L :D it's the only light I have and you'll be able to ride anything with that. Brighter then the usb light and can mount bar or helmet and very nicely priced, very light, and twight. Battery life is long. Good econ choice.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I've ridden with JimV at night. He had to get behind me cause the shadow of himself from my light made it impossible for him to see. :rofl:

Yes!! The Mini-USB is all you'll need if you ride ALONE, I even did the 24 hours of Allamuchy with it, it's a great light. However, when you ride with other people, they tend to own good lights and will cast a dark shadow in front of you so it seems you don't even have a light, then you can't see poop and will ride off the trail and die:D

Get a TriNewt, son.

-Jim.

syadasti

Wet Rag
Kentro Light Version 2 Available

If you are looking for a great deal on a handlebar light, its hard to beat the 7W P7 quad emitter Kentro version 2 it puts out at around triple the illumination (around 500 lumen) of similar priced offerings from NR or Light and Motion and you can get whatever options want to suit your needs ($158-178 depending on battery choice for complete kit + $7 shipping):

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=192025

Video of v1 in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJGGlkHt0E

User reviews on road/MTB: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=213632

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=184072&page=4

It may be from Korea, but the Seoul Semiconductor Co. (SSC) P7 quad emitter LED itself is made and designed in Korea and is also used by Lupine in their award winning Tesla 4 light which goes for about $500.

Last edited:

wingers

I have the stella 200L , 200 lumens, a Li-ion battery - great for the trail, quick recharge. I mount mine on the helmet much better than the handle bars.

qsilvr99

I rode with one Dinotte 600L on handlebar last year, bright as heck. Tried it on my helmet but didn't seem right as Ben said. Just ordered another one for helmet, should make seeing around the corners a little easier:getsome:

Top Bottom