Lighting Fixture Fail

goldsbar

This won't be nearly as good as the Hitler 6 Mile thread...

Attempting to replace an overhead lighting fixture. Can't get it to work. Tested the switch on the voltmeter and it seems fine. Ceiling connection is getting current. If I put the voltmeter to one wire + ground it shows 123 volts. Both wires together without ground shows normal. Holding the hot on the light socket plus the screw at the bottom shows 123 volts again. Hot plus metal on the side (i.e. where the bulb screws in) shows nothing.

Worst part is, when I try to reattach the old fixture doesn't work now, though sockets appear to be getting electricity!

Any ideas?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
sounds like an open neutral wire (the white one)

What does "both wires together shows normal" mean?

if the v-meter from black to white in the ceiling box does not produce a reading of 120ish, but the black->ground (bare wire) produces a reading - then the white wire in the switch box has pulled loose (?) - or is disconnected somewhere else.

also, you'd be surprised how many times ya twist a wire together inside a nut, and they don't really make contact.....

no chance it is a 3-way switch set-up?? just checking

Last edited:

goldsbar

sounds like an open neutral wire (the white one)

What does "both wires together shows normal" mean?

if the v-meter from black to white in the ceiling box does not produce a reading of 120ish, but the black->ground (bare wire) produces a reading - then the white wire in the switch box has pulled loose (?) - or is disconnected somewhere else.

also, you'd be surprised how many times ya twist a wire together inside a nut, and they don't really make contact.....

no chance it is a 3-way switch set-up?? just checking

The connection in the ceiling is one where you put the wires in holes and screw them in. The original electrician wrapped the whole thing in tape that was really hard to get off. This connector is really tight into the electric box and there's still tape on it so I really can't see what's going on nor tell the color of the wires going in.

It is as you describe. v-meter to presumably black plus ground =120ish reading. V-meter to presumably white plus ground = 120ish reading. Black + white together (again, presumably) and no reading. I suppose it's very possible a wire came loose from the back of the connector. Problem is, there's still half a wad of tape on that area and it's really tight. Guess I'll have to try to take it off and check the connection.

No, not a 3 way switch. Agree it's very easy not to tighten a wire, but the same process holds true if I touch the v-meter to the nuts. Only thing I'm sure of is that the ground was connected to the right side of the 3 hole connector, so I did the same thing for the new fixture. No way it got turned around.

I think the feed is at the switch. Think...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so there is power on both sides of the wires connecting to the light.

how many wires are there in the ceiling box total -
by this, i mean, how many wires come into the box, and are taped together?

also, how many wires are there at the switch? does the switch have two black wires connected to it? or a white and black?
does the switch do anything (if you shut it off, does the readings at the ceiling box change?)

couple of pictures might help. ceiling and switch.

how old is the house? wiring?
I don't want you moving old wires too much (like 50+ yo wires) cause the insulator gets brittle.

goldsbar

Got the tape off. Oops, looks like the ground went into the middle of the connector. That could be the problem!

Wires from the ceiling are white, black and bare ground. Switch is just two black.. Hot connected to the bottom, wire to fixture at the top. Now that I can see all this, I'll try again after I get a quick workout in.

New able to see everything v-meter analysis at the ceiling: White to black - 120ish, black to ground - 120ish, white to ground - 0ish.

Thanks!

goldsbar

Mission accomplished. 30 minute job turned into 6 hours. Just like bike maintenance! Thanks all.

As to throwing the breaker, no idea. Little worrisome. Sort of like why one of my basement lights doesn't turn on sometimes...

qclabrat

Mission accomplished. 30 minute job turned into 6 hours. Just like bike maintenance! Thanks all.

As to throwing the breaker, no idea. Little worrisome. Sort of like why one of my basement lights doesn't turn on sometimes...
haha, don't they always
Working with electrical and plumbing always gives me the willys
But if you've seen the price from contractor, you'll be extra proud of yourself

Top Bottom