LIDS - full face or not?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
hey all,

for my x/c riding i use a typical bike helmet with a visor (not full face), but now that i have been doing the occasional urban assualt/skate park day, im thinking about getting a full face helmet to prevent any tooth loss/face loss when i fall. does anyone wear a full face? any recommendations?

does anyone use a full face for anything other than DH or FR style riding?

i figure it can't hurt to have the extra protection while playing over concrete.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I've got 2 full faces- a moto helmet for lift-served days and a lightweight Specialized Deviant for any time I need to pedal but still want the full face protection. If I were you, I'd definitely grab a light one like the Remedy or Deviant for jumps and park stuff if you're concerned about extra protection. I'd say about 20% of the guys at Highbridge wear em...

79026831.o09qO2fM.DSC_6535copy.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Unless you are really prone to falling on your face (some people just are) a full face will be overkill for just jumping and urban stuff. Everyone will fall on there face from time to time but are you ready to give up that visability?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
thanks guys -

i seriously never thought of the visibility factor... maybe for the urban assault rides i'll stick with what i have because of the visibility factor which is pretty important for riding around the streets (obviously), but for the stuntier stuff (like the skate park, which i suck at anyway, but it entertains me), i think i'm gonna go for the extra protection and get a full face. its just been in the back of my mind - and i'm not quite sure how my office would feel about me showing up with a beat up face... nevermind my wife.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude, wear a football helmet, but with just the 1 bar like a punter. You'll be the envy of the urban assault crowd.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that would be killer. just like this:

reggie_roby_5x.jpg

salary, rolex and pimp-a-riffic style not included. :D

walter

Fourth Party
Never mind that stuff, dig the mustache.

Is that Reggie Roby, that dude was killer!

What park do you ride, Sayreville? What are the kiddies over there wearing? I should take a run over and see what the norm is.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
What park do you ride, Sayreville? What are the kiddies over there wearing? I should take a run over and see what the norm is.
I keep thinking how it would be fun to just go over there and pump around in the bowl on the SS. As long as I don't need to wheel out my feeble jumping skills, I bet it would be a lot of fun.

I know they have a roll-in there, right? Cause dropping in ain't happening for this guy...:hitsfan:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

most kids at sayreville are going to be wear skate-style lids, if any at all...I rode park and dj for years and never wore a helmet unless required. You could ride any of the trails (dirt jumps) in NJ and PA and see less than 10% wearing helmets where 20'+ doubles are the norm. ask anrothar, he knows...

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG

i hit up somerset or sayerville.

i go way before the kids wake up... otherwise i feel like chester the molester. nothing like being in your thirties hangin with 14 year olds. but they can't get their asses outta bed before 9 so i head in the wee hours of the morning when its wet out. i still can't get myself to do anything insane, mainly i just carve up the bowl in sayerville. i suck, but its fun, and its something to do while the trails are wet.

maybe i should do a hockey mask thing. that would be pretty badass.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Dave Mirra rocks a full face. Doesn't seem to slow him down. But with his net worth, it's definitely understandable... ;)

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
I keep thinking how it would be fun to just go over there and pump around in the bowl on the SS. As long as I don't need to wheel out my feeble jumping skills, I bet it would be a lot of fun.

I know they have a roll-in there, right? Cause dropping in ain't happening for this guy...:hitsfan:

yeah - they have a few roll-ins - so its good fun for a wuss like myself. i keep getting higher up on the bowl carving it up, so i think i will eventually get some air time... you should totally head down and give it a shot - like anything - go early.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

Hey bro yeah they have two roll ins but its made you can ripp it up. as far as helmets i wear a skater lid( bell fraction) a full face might be a bit hot in there, for D/H i wear a fox motocross full face.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i hit up somerset or sayerville.

i go way before the kids wake up... otherwise i feel like chester the molester. nothing like being in your thirties hangin with 14 year olds. but they can't get their asses outta bed before 9 so i head in the wee hours of the morning when its wet out. i still can't get myself to do anything insane, mainly i just carve up the bowl in sayerville. i suck, but its fun, and its something to do while the trails are wet.

maybe i should do a hockey mask thing. that would be pretty badass.

where is this somerset park? i'd love to go suck it up too

BiknBen

We should have Grandpa day at the skate park. Where are these parks? Give me a street or something I can find.

We have a skate park in my town (Robbinsville, NJ) but "no bikes Allowed". I brought my Uni there a few times before I lost interest. The 14 years old thought I was the Shizznit!

walter

Fourth Party
We should have Grandpa day at the skate park. Where are these parks? Give me a street or something I can find.

We have a skate park in my town (Robbinsville, NJ) but "no bikes Allowed". I brought my Uni there a few times before I lost interest. The 14 years old thought I was the Shizznit!

Ben, the Sayreville Skate Park is located within Kennedy Park in Sayreville. The park is at the intersection of Washington Rd and Ernston Rd, directly acoss from Sayreville High School.

TommyCrash

I wear a full face during the winter and when it is cooler out, it actually keeps me warmer. It also helps me look further down the trail instead of my tire. I also wear it when I started riding clipless. It saved my noggin more than just a few times. Every once in a while you get the 'looks' but I'd rather have a mouth full of teeth than a hockey player grin. I'm not a sucky rider but I'm not TommyCrash for nothin'

Top Bottom