LIDS - full face or not?

the park in somerset is in middlebush park on demott lane. its small, but it gets the job done.

ben - i think a grandpa day in a park would be good fun. i think sometime in the spring would be a good time, one day when the trails are wet. i think sayerville would be a great spot for something like that.

Skip the full face unless your Zoolander. For the most part it will limit your vision in tight areas, weather it's in the bowl or in traffic.

As far as a day at Sayerville, count me in. I'll bring my tight pants.

I started doing all of my riding (save road) with a full face in November. I got a deal on a 661 Pro carbon bravo from someone on this board and decided to give it a shot the next time I went XCing. I found that I did not really notice the additional weight on my head and my visibility was not compromised that much (it blocks more downward vision then peripheral). I have only used it in the winter, and I find it keeps my head at just the right temperature...I expect it to be a bit warm in the summer. It makes it a little more difficult to drink from the camelback but I don't see many more drawbacks. If it saves a broken nose or concussion just once it will have been worth it. Hey, all those DH guys like Sam Hill wear full face and they need to see where they are going too right?

Hey, all those DH guys like Sam Hill wear full face and they need to see where they are going too right?

Sam Hill could ride a DH course faster than any of us blindfolded :)

But I agree a little protection goes a long way and yes the DH guys use full-face lids for very good reason. For DH and FR stuff a fullface is worth it for the speeds and at those speeds you are typically looking more forward.

For skatepark and DJ trails I'll wear the skate style lid - I can eye up the landings a bunch more clearly and stuff like fuf's are easier as you have more visibility. I'd love to see something a little lighter but offer more protection - in between a skate lid and full face. Maybe like the old Giro's? It would have to look pretty decent tho.

I'd love to see something a little lighter but offer more protection - in between a skate lid and full face. Maybe like the old Giro's? It would have to look pretty decent tho.

Giro Zen, more back head protection and not too goofy looking.

Giro Zen, more back head protection and not too goofy looking.

Yeah. I was wearing a Zen when I crashed out on a 6-7 foot drop, went OTB and face planted into the dirt, taking a chunk out of the bridge of my nose. 3 months of physical therapy for both torn rotator cuffs, and 6 months of applying mederma to the scar on my nose after the ER doc's attempt at re-attaching the flapping flesh failed.

I generally wear a fullface now if my wheels are going to be more than 4-5' off the ground...

This is the old Giro I was thinking of:

met2.jpg

jbogner - sorry to hear about the crash - sucks... In your opinion - would a fullface helmet helped in that situation - save for the rotator cuffs?

the park in somerset is in middlebush park on demott lane. its small, but it gets the job done.

ben - i think a grandpa day in a park would be good fun. i think sometime in the spring would be a good time, one day when the trails are wet. i think sayerville would be a great spot for something like that.

i used to go there all the time until i got kicked by cops 2 years ago for not wearing a helmet, being on a bike, and not having a membership...

did they change the rules?

Jbogner- where are those pretty trails?

JAY - that looked like it smarted - bad. i never see myself doing anything that to be honest - pretty sick stuff tho.

WC - as far as i know whats posted is you need a helmet and to sign some waiver - which i never have, but i haven't been bothered back there either. but bikes are allowed as far as i know, because i drove by a cop sitting in middlebush park with the bike on the car heading straight for the skatepark.

JAY - that looked like it smarted - bad. i never see myself doing anything that to be honest - pretty sick stuff tho.

WC - as far as i know whats posted is you need a helmet and to sign some waiver - which i never have, but i haven't been bothered back there either. but bikes are allowed as far as i know, because i drove by a cop sitting in middlebush park with the bike on the car heading straight for the skatepark.

neat-o i might just zip over there right now

I generally wear a fullface now if my wheels are going to be more than 4-5' off the ground...

The only time my wheels get that far off the ground is when they are hangin in the basement. I'll stick with the XC crowd.

Wore a fullface for all disciplens then slowly moved to a protec for DJ XC. Swiched to a traditional mtb helmet for xc about 2 years ago but still find them a bit wobbly and distracting at times.I come from moto and find the frame of a full face helps me focus ahead much better(I'm to the point where the visors in my car are permanently down to create more tunneled vision).They are hot though so I'll stay with my current setup for the forseeable future

Back
Top Bottom