Lewis Morris

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If I remember from last year they were kinda tight lipped about it until the last minute. Hopefully we can get some word a little earlier this time around.

P

pdm362

Does anyone know if the Lewis Morris Course is the same as last year? :confused:

anyone have time next week to do a few rides at LM? I can go any day after Tuesday and after 5:30 PM. It doesn't have to be the course I just want to know what kind of terrain LM has first hand.

Paul

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think im heading there tonight. Does anyone what the course was last year?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
when you go, make sure you ride the yellow trail (both ways) b/c that will certainly be the bulk of it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think im heading there tonight. Does anyone what the course was last year?

Yes but how well do you know the park? I can describe it but it might do you no good. Jake is right, it's much yellow trail. But where the yellow trail is fire road the race will then be on the interior of the park, along the purple/turquoise/mauve/whatever color trail. The orange trail will also likely be in there, with the short nasty switchback climb.

It's all a guess but you can ride every trail in both directions in about 90 minutes in that park. So do that a bunch of times and you'll be covered.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
well I have been there probably about 6 times, and im pretty sure that I have hit every trail. I know it well enough that I wouldnt get lost, but I have a bad habit of never looking at maps and just remembering trails by landmarks. I know the switchback climb that your talking about. Like you said though, the place is small enough that riding everything is probably the way to go.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok then start at the pavilion. Go on the yellow trail, going clockwise.

Still on yellow, cross that little bridge, stay to your left, and slight climb up. Then come to the start/end of the orange trail.

Take that right onto orange. Climb up, go down. Cross the bridge over the stream. Quick left at the end of the bridge then quick right to follow orange, up up up the switchbacks.

Once you get back onto flat ground, you'll come to a very hard left onto purple. This is the start/end of purple. Ride this whole trail. It climbs at first, then goes down, then up, then crosses a camp road, then flat, and ends.

At the end, take a left, up the hill. This brings you to a fire road intersection. Cross the fire road, going back onto yellow. Down switchbacks then into the far little parking lot. Stay on yellow the whole time.

Now it gets a little trickier in here, so you can just as soon stay on yellow the whole way back. The actual race course would be like this, but it's a difference of a 1/2 mile of trail at most:

Once you cross the far parking lot, you'll climb a little hill and at the crest of it there will be a right trail. Left will be the yellow. Go right. This will immediately go through some rocks and exposed roots. Then a short steep climb of maybe 50 feet, trail curves right, and flattens out into really smooth singletrack for 1/4 mile or less. At the end of this, bang a left. This is like a jeep road width. Stay on this for 100 yards or so then run back into the yellow trail, onto which you turn right. Continue on yellow all the way back to the pavilion.

If you can follow that you know LM pretty friggin well.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok then start at the pavilion. Go on the yellow trail, going clockwise.

Still on yellow, cross that little bridge, stay to your left, and slight climb up. Then come to the start/end of the orange trail.

Take that right onto orange. Climb up, go down. Cross the bridge over the stream. Quick left at the end of the bridge then quick right to follow orange, up up up the switchbacks.

Once you get back onto flat ground, you'll come to a very hard left onto purple. This is the start/end of purple. Ride this whole trail. It climbs at first, then goes down, then up, then crosses a camp road, then flat, and ends.

At the end, take a left, up the hill. This brings you to a fire road intersection. Cross the fire road, going back onto yellow. Down switchbacks then into the far little parking lot. Stay on yellow the whole time.

Now it gets a little trickier in here, so you can just as soon stay on yellow the whole way back. The actual race course would be like this, but it's a difference of a 1/2 mile of trail at most:

Once you cross the far parking lot, you'll climb a little hill and at the crest of it there will be a right trail. Left will be the yellow. Go right. This will immediately go through some rocks and exposed roots. Then a short steep climb of maybe 50 feet, trail curves right, and flattens out into really smooth singletrack for 1/4 mile or less. At the end of this, bang a left. This is like a jeep road width. Stay on this for 100 yards or so then run back into the yellow trail, onto which you turn right. Continue on yellow all the way back to the pavilion.

hahaha, holy crap Norm, I know EXACTLY what/where you are talking about, lol. Thanks for the description. The funny part is that route you described is my favorite way around the part and I chose it COMPLETELY randomly as I dont even have a map.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Walter, I did lay out a route which hits every trail in both directions once. But now that they added a new trail in there I would need to revise it. No idea where it is though. Maybe do a search for bear.

Joe - cool. It's always heartening to find someone else who speaks jive.

xc62701

You forgot to add that as you cross the last parking lot on yellow and go down towards the bridge, cross the bridge and the trail bends to the right look for the log option about 50 feet after the bridge :D

rayder

Lm

PdM and Utah Joe there is a group ride every wed. at LM which starts at 6 on Patriot's path and gets to the actual park around 6:10 - 6:20ish. You can look at martys reliable cycle for more info. all are welcome and if anyone knows what the course will be it's those guys. I'm going tonight myself. You should be able to get the directions to the small lot on patriots path on martysreliablecycle.com for 6'oclock start or just wait in the park for a group of riders and join us. I do this ride often except last week I was at 6 mile and met PDM there. hope to see you guys there.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You forgot to add that as you cross the last parking lot on yellow and go down towards the bridge, cross the bridge and the trail bends to the right look for the log option about 50 feet after the bridge :D

what happened to all the planks? I used to love that.

and no problem norm, my mama didnt raise no dummy.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sweet!

Yeah Marty's does the course. If you can infiltrate the ranks and find out what course they're going to run I'll send you a t-shirt for half price!

Sorry for the shameless marketing.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hahaha, Norm, with my shitty bike and complete lack of proper cycling attire, I will be the perfect undercover agent :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome! Dress like this:

Monty-Python-Holy-Grail-05.jpg

Top Bottom