Lewis Morris is a mess

RootDKJ

I took a quick ride around the yellow loop yesterday, and while I realize that a race was held earlier in the day, the trails were a mess.

I counted no less then 8 water bottles all over the place and a slew of energy gel litter on the trails. Granted, I haven't been there in a month so I don't know if it's from the race or not, but regardless, I was surprised.

If all the regular riders on there could pick up one piece of litter on their next run, it will be looking spotless in a week.

Other then that, the trails are in good shape, very few greasy spots, and the ones that are there, are easily avoidable.

Robin

To all those who picked up the remains from the race, thank you! Was nice to see the trails "clean"!

BiknBen

For the record, it was likely the race promoter that went out and cleaned up everything. These folks are pressed to leave no trace. Maybe they needed sleep and came back out the next day. :hmmm:

As a race volunteer, I have been that person who did a lap on the course with a garbage bag at the end of the day.

Things get dropped on the course. The racer may not even know it till later.

goldsoundz

They must have had some severe storms here over the weekend. Lots of trees down and branches all over the place. Some of them fell to the ground like spears. Most of the trails were washed out like a torrent of water came down them. I actually liked this. It made the trails a little harder to ride. I did get a flat about 6.5 miles into the ride which sucked. Not sure if it was a pinch or caused by something else. It was also very muddy. The one long section behind the road by the back parking lot was a river. That might take a few more days to dry. There were also some deep puddles sporadically located throughout each trail.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They must have had some severe storms here over the weekend. Lots of trees down and branches all over the place. Some of them fell to the ground like spears. Most of the trails were washed out like a torrent of water came down them. I actually liked this. It made the trails a little harder to ride. I did get a flat about 6.5 miles into the ride which sucked. Not sure if it was a pinch or caused by something else. It was also very muddy. The one long section behind the road by the back parking lot was a river. That might take a few more days to dry. There were also some deep puddles sporadically located throughout each trail.

As a heads up its not good to ride on trails that are muddy & have deep puddles. It ruins the trails by making ruts and widens them by trying to avoid the mud. Some guys ride in mud anyway but they dont post it and dont say they like doing it. They do this monthly to fix damage.http://www2.jorba.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1105
:popcorn:

goldsoundz

Sorry for the confusion. I don't make it a practice to ride wet trails. I ride there 2-3 times a week and was surprised by the devastation of the weekend storms. I was just reporting to everyone that the trails were muddy and needed another day or two to dry. As you know if you ride LM and you take the fire road in the back you can get in there not knowing how muddy it is in the center. The river part in the back I got off the trail and road the fire road to the back parking lot and then back into the trails. I hit some deep puddles on the yellow on my way back to the other parking lot. I apologize for saying I enjoyed the ride but I did. There were downed logs and more rocks to ride over. I tried to avoid widening or depening the puddles were possible although I did hit a few deep ones. I will be more sensative in the future to the trails and my articulation of my posts.

R

RobC

went today. It is still a mess. The mud is getting better but another tree fell on the back side of the yellow trail. I don't know how it works but I figured the Morris County Parks guys would at least take care of the really big stuff that can't be moved by hand. I think the erosion from the water flow is pretty bad.

argyle

My buddy from nycmtb said the park is fine and he was there a few days ago for the first time. But that's the sort of answer I expect from someone who spends almost every day at Diablo, Blue Mtn or Highbridge. Buncha savages.

DJCYRIN

Rode yellow loop today. . Thought the trail was in pretty good shape, except for two rather large trees that were down. Going back tomorrow.

Robin

trails cleared up...

Rode most of the race loop today (the heat did me in) - great job to cleaning up the trails this past weekend. Log is still down near the rollercoaster area but overall trails in good shape!

Speaking of which...
Anybody seen or heard from this guy lately? His PM box is full and he hasn't been on the board since May.
Hope he's ok.

mugen939

The log has been taken care of at the roller coaster section of yellow and someone made a small trail around the other tree that went across yellow as well.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Speaking of which...
Anybody seen or heard from this guy lately? His PM box is full and he hasn't been on the board since May.
Hope he's ok.

He doesn't post here often, and the board doesn't (for me at least) send out emails updating about private messages. I may have his # around somewhere.

-Steve

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions