Lewis Morris conditions?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
any word on conditions as of April 5th?

Probably not so good. Without the overnight freeze you're going to be pretty sloppy in the low areas. I'm sure it's not awful but it was soft last weekend and we got some rain through the week. It might not be awful but I don't think it will be great.

T

tyng

just got back from running the yellow trail @ LM; dry, no puddles or anything

R

ridnwarrior

Going Tuesday...hows the conditions?
Should be dry, right?

mtnbiker5

Lewis Morris-Conditions & Creatures

Trail conditions could be better. Dry & fast all around. Rode on Sat. Perfect. Blew by a bunch of hikers/Boy Scouts. Do us all a favor, slow down when/if you see them. Dont want any issues popping up. One thing, watch out for snakes. Ran over 4. 3 Gardner and 1 huge black snake. They all must of woken up from a long winters nap. They look like roots laying accross the trail, too late when your on top of them and they try to slither away. Saw some really big ones hanging out by some streams too. Place is infested with snakes I'm telling you. Heres something, when your finished doing a loop head over to the small woodedn bridge that crosses the lake near the boathouse/beaches. Look down by the rocks where the waterfall is. There are 3-4 of some of the largest water snakes hanging out on rocks I have ever seen. No joke. One was easily a 6 footer. What did Indy say? "Snakes, why did it have to be snakes. I hate snakes."

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
just FYI

LM was great yesterday. a couple things to note: first, yes, all the boards are now gone on the yellow trail and have been replaced with pea gravel. secondly, there is a new (to me, anyway) large log roller on the yellow trail (i think it's the yellow trail :hmmm:). it looks well made but not sure if it's really supposed to be there.

mtnbiker5

Lm

I agree. LM is a good after work ride spot to get some cardio in, thats about it. Rode up at Ringwood the other day, that place is just insane. If you want true East Coast/Jersey mtn biking with everything including the kitchen sink thrown at you thats the place to go, period. Nothing comes close to that area except Allamuchy and even Muchy isnt in that league.

argyle

so after reading some back posts in this thread i take it that riding here on a rainy day is going to be a huge mistake. and possibly destructive to the trails.

why god? why does it have to rain tomorrow?! another saturday of crap.

mtnbiker5

Lewis Morris Tomorrow

I think LM would be fantastic tomorrow! That place drains incredibly well. They are calling for high winds, thunderstorms and pouring rain. Definately a Gor-tex day. If you go I dont think you'll do any damage. There wont be anyone there.

argyle

I think LM would be fantastic tomorrow! That place drains incredibly well. They are calling for high winds, thunderstorms and pouring rain. Definately a Gor-tex day. If you go I dont think you'll do any damage. There wont be anyone there.

:hmmm:hmm, maybe i'll test out my new sombrio shell in the elements.

mtnbiker5

Lm

Definately! You'll be fine. My biggest concern if the weather does what they say its gonna do would be flying branches. I was in the Deer Park section of Allamuchy the other day, now THAT place was a disaster. We need to get a couple of guys in there with chain saws and weed whackers. Major trees down all over the place, especially by the lake. I have a new Stihl which would love to rip into some bark if anyone needs me.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, it drains well but i wouldn't say it drains that well. with the forecast calling for up to an inch of rain over the next 24 hours i'd probably pick another day to be in the woods.

xc62701

Yea do the right thing and stay out of the woods. It's gonna be nasty. Sounds like a good day for a rainy road ride...

argyle

was out there yesterday at noon. i remarked to someone out there on the yellow that it was sloppy. yeah it was. half thawed, icy mud. i looked like i was rolling around in the mud for a few hours by the time i was finished. :D

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions