Lewis Morris Conditions

LM is remaining closed. was posted elsewhere on here. see MCPC website for other sites ot remain closed or limited access.

be careful out there!

lewis morris makes me sad. I learned how to mountain bike there.
The accessibility and bonus of having facilities makes it a great park for non mtb’ers, which makes it an annoying park for mtb’ers. It’s gotten progressively worse in the 6 years I’ve lived in Morristown. The park doesn’t seem to accept volunteer maintenance and the workers have a lot more to worry about than the trails.

Last edited:
Stayed local this morning to avoid parking lots. Northern Loop has a tree down at the top where the downhill starts. Top of yellow by the log pile a massive tree is down so I expect there to be a go around until someone with a chain saw gets in there. Kurt Vonnegut is a swamp I had to bail to the road. Im not sure if the park police were on horses or it was local people with horses while the park was closed, but there is more horse poop there than i've ever seen.

Great dirt out there today. As mentioned above, there is an unrideable tree down just before the log rollers. Everything else is rideable.
There is a HUGE tree down on Patriots left turn out of the park. That suckers gonna be there a while, that’s one seriously massive tree.

1588639320230.jpeg

Great dirt out there today. As mentioned above, there is an unrideable tree down just before the log rollers. Everything else is rideable.
There is a HUGE tree down on Patriots left turn out of the park. That suckers gonna be there a while, that’s one seriously massive tree.

View attachment 127829
How were the crowds during the week? I did not want to go over the weekend as I thought there may be too many folks.

The accessibility and bonus of having facilities makes it a great park for non mtb’ers, which makes it an annoying park for mtb’ers. It’s gotten progressively worse in the 6 years I’ve lived in Morristown. The park doesn’t seem to accept volunteer maintenance and the workers have a lot more to worry about than the trails.
Yep, all true. After a new trails director came on the scene about 4 years ago, their interest in organized volunteer TM stopped. Shame, too, since we had a decent number of regulars that were always willing to chip in. MCPC still has the adopt a trail program but even that one is not as vibrant as it once was.

Yep, all true. After a new trails director came on the scene about 4 years ago, their interest in organized volunteer TM stopped. Shame, too, since we had a decent number of regulars that were always willing to chip in. MCPC still has the adopt a trail program but even that one is not as vibrant as it once was.
BUT THE HORSES!! :gangster:

This is rather unfortunate. I'm a relatively new rider, but I bike to the LM trail head from my front door and I have witnessed the significant degradation in trails over the past 4 years...

I was hoping the trail widening was temporary and we could go in and fix it at some point. Is there any communication between jorba and MCPC at all?

This is rather unfortunate. I'm a relatively new rider, but I bike to the LM trail head from my front door and I have witnessed the significant degradation in trails over the past 4 years...

I was hoping the trail widening was temporary and we could go in and fix it at some point. Is there any communication between jorba and MCPC at all?
My understanding is that the trail director does not want the trails to be mountain bike specific and thus does not want to align with a mountain biking association for trail work. Again, it comes back to accessibility. These are trails for "everyone." What's good for "everyone" usually sucks for mountain bikers, but it's not all about us. Dickerson Mine is right up the road and JORBA does a kick ass job making that place fun for bikes.

Regarding Lew Mo unfortunately not. One of our key allies there (the long standing trail foreman) retired last year and my attempts to reach his deputy even to get some material for me to fix a trouble spot fell on deaf ears. That said, it is possible to sign up for their adopt a trail program and do light solo trail work (cutting back overgrowth, draining/correcting muddy sections) on your own time and with your own (hand) tools. This is what I do from time to time (my section is on the south side near Tempe wicke) but I have to confess I am more excited to help Jason at Dickerson Mine given the potential there.
C055CB88-E434-48DE-A95C-AC44AC65F004.png

Just know that the contact person listed is the gent who is now retired so someone else may answer the phone. I

I rode Dickerson mine for the second time today and there is indeed some serious potential there. I will try this adoption thing, as I will still ride lewmo. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Dickerson Mine > Lewis Morris.
As with all trail systems, the most important factor for MTB access and overall trail conditions is the relationship with the land manager. Mine Hill Township is the land manager for DM, and from all appearances has a great relationship with JORBA and the trail builders. This shows in the quality of the trails (both for MTB and overall sustainability). Contrast with LM, where relationship with MCPC is not good, and quality of trails is not good and is overall declining (for both MTB and sustainability). Contrast again with Watchung Reservation, where relationship with Union County is adversarial (at best), and there is no legal MTB and trail conditions are overall abysmal.

This is why MTB (unlike every other trail user) has to put its best foot forward whenever possible for trail access and sustainability.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions