Lewis Morris Challenge Info from Marty's

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Norm, I think just to prove a point you should enter a Cat1 road race. What point it will prove Im not sure, I just think you should do it.

I was watching the sport race with BakinBen, and everytime that dude went by, it seemed like an eternity for the #2 rider to come by.

Being that you need to have some results in Sport before you can apply to upgrade to Expert, USAC is forcing higher level riders to "sandbag". Just like making pro mountain bikers race CAT5 on the road. They have no choice.

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Being that you need to have some results in Sport before you can apply to upgrade to Expert, USAC is forcing higher level riders to "sandbag". Just like making pro mountain bikers race CAT5 on the road. They have no choice.

-Jim.

This is certainly true - see the sport winner of the Chain Stretcher race last year. Likewise, even if he could race expert he would be forced to buy a yearly license. So I understand at that level, it's an expensive race if he's only going to do 1 race.

On the other hand, it's not like he's using this race to upgrade. The USAC will allow you to upgrade after 1 race if you crush the competition. So he could upgrade now.

Cat 1-2 and maybe even cat 3 riders have no place in sport class.

bushpig

Norm,
There are a few issues with his reponse there that are wacky but what is done is done. I wonder who is scoring tomorrow's race.
After all that, I do also want to thank Geoff for sticking with it as well. To add insult to injury I apparantly got 10th after I was guestimating I was somewhere around 5th at the end of the race. I am not claiming the results are wrong! Just a little disappointed.
Let's all have some fun tomorrow!

I hear that - I got 12th and was certain I had done better than that - though that certainty started to evaporate with the Garmin links :D

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
On the other hand, it's not like he's using this race to upgrade. The USAC will allow you to upgrade after 1 race if you crush the competition. So he could upgrade now.

Correct-a-mundo Norm-a-saurus rex, I did this last year, I only did 1 Sport race, won, and then got bumped straight off the bat into Expert. When I did it, I wasn't sure how fit I was compared to other people because I hadn't raced before, so I honestly didn't know. Being a CAT1/2/3, you've raced quite a bit to get there, and must've done pretty well at some point, so you know you're taking advantage of the poor Sport guys, but you still can't do anything about it, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

-jim.

BiknBen

I think you guys are bringing the whole event down. Someone always cries Bagger. Now you are crying Roadie? I was surprised to see a high number of racers who I had only seen at Road races before. Crossover is good for all the disciplines. There will always be someone faster. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we can all have fun at these things.

A race winner should be able to finish with his head high. Wouldn't you enjoy that when you win?

BTW Norm, you'll pay for that little jab!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's so nice to finally have some results. But for me, seeing that I came in 6th doesn't mean squat since I don't know if I got beat by 2 mins or 20 mins. If any of the top 4 women in 35+ know their time could you post or PM it to me? I know Karen B was just seconds in front of me since she made it such an exciting sprint finish:) But the women in front of her??

I'm just curious since LM is the only race I'll do which I have any pre-race knowledge of the course. I'm sure I'll do worse tomorrow having never ridden Stewert before.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you guys are bringing the whole event down. Someone always cries Bagger. Now you are crying Roadie? I was surprised to see a high number of racers who I had only seen at Road races before. Crossover is good for all the disciplines. There will always be someone faster. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we can all have fun at these things.

A race winner should be able to finish with his head high. Wouldn't you enjoy that when you win?

BTW Norm, you'll pay for that little jab!

Actually I was referring to that guy Nate who rides for JBogner's team, NYCMTB or whatever? But yeah I guess that's you too ;) In fact, if you really want I can dig up the post last year where *you* called him a sandbagger. In fact, you called yourself a sandbagger, sandbagger:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35524&highlight=sandbagging#post35524

Oh the truth hurts, don't it? :getsome:

I honestly don't give a donkey. Winning a sport race just means I'm fast enough to go get killed by the expert class. As soon as USAC says I can upgrade I will, podium or not.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Yeah- Nate felt bad about that race last year, even though it was only the 3rd or 4th time he'd ridden his mountain bike all year. Despite only having one result from last year, he petitioned USA Cycling for an upgrade, and is racing Expert now. Never hurts to ask.

I don't think it should be automatic to push Cat 1/2/3's into Expert class, for the same reason that it would be unfair to make Expert XC racers automatically race Expert DH. Having said that, if I were a Cat 1/2/3 roadie, I'd probably be too much of a snob to slum it in Sport class... ;)

Top Bottom