Lew Mo trail sections closed...update

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I've learned recently about three trail sections that the MCPC closed sometime after the recent race. They are all in the vicinity of the lake. At least one of them was I believe closed in error. It is the twisty section we built in 2013 off Orange. The other two are rogue trails. I am in touch with MCPC to sort this out. At minimum to get the Orange twisties reopened, and also lobbying for one of the other two to be as well. The third one is a legit closure. I ask that you respect these closures until I can get this matter addressed and let me know if you come across any other recent anomalies. You are my eyes and ears!
Thanks much.

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
Update: I have had little luck over the past few weeks getting a meeting set up with all MCPC parties to the equation, but have learned that the closures, including a recent one near the pavillion, are being done by the Natural Resources arm of MCPC, and not the Trails Program group. The two groups are obviously not in synch. I've connected with the Trails Foreman and we are hoping to pull all parties together for a sit down by end of Aug or early Sept.

Rob Munro

first of all, thanks for everything you do to keep LM one of my favorite riding spots. I was there for the first time this season, after missing most of last after a major injury. Noticed a long stretch of the Teal trail, one of my favorite bits of twisty singletrack, is now closed. Was there an issue or do you think that'll be reopened?

icebiker

JORBA.ORG
first of all, thanks for everything you do to keep LM one of my favorite riding spots. I was there for the first time this season, after missing most of last after a major injury. Noticed a long stretch of the Teal trail, one of my favorite bits of twisty singletrack, is now closed. Was there an issue or do you think that'll be reopened?

Hi, thanks for your comments. There is a pretty long thread on the situation elsewhere on MTBNJ, but the bottom line is the the MCPC closed that section down last fall because it was not on the 2002 master plan, even though they gave us verbal approval to build that section of trail in 2013. I have lobbied a few times (in person and in writing) unsuccessfully to have it re-opened.

The irony here is that we built that trail with reverse grades in order to make it sustainable (in accordance with IMBA standards) and it was meant to replace the straight, fall-line trail that it crosses over (which as you can see is eroding with lots of exposed roots and rubble-y stones). That trail was a "rake and ride" affair put in by someone (I know the person) in late 90's or early 2000's who had no clue about proper trail design. Yet that trail survives and the sustainable one gets closed down. o_O:rolleyes:

My recommendation is to write to the MCPC and ask respectfully that the trail be re-opened. The contact there is Denise Chaplick dchaplick@morrisparks.net.

Thanks again!

^^ Edit, I assumed you were referring to the section off Orange, which is the only "long stretch" of twisty trail that was closed (there are shorter sections that were closed in the park but these were rogue trails that were legitimately meant to be closed). However in re-reading your note I see you reference "Teal" (which intersects with Orange at the junction of where the twisty trail was laid). We're likely talking about the same trail but just wanted to confirm.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions