Let's talk tires, whatcha running and how do you like them?

TommyF

Currently running the minion's DHF,DHRII, looking for something perhaps a little faster rolling with similar grip.

Strix

As a person in the process of a build, this is the hardest thing for me to figure out so far “ what tires I want “ I ride a bit of everything!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The anwser always is...

Are you building an xc race bike? If no, minion dhf front.... dhf, aggressor, disector..... Rear... 2.5 max width.

w_b

I run the dhr front and rear mostly. A Rekon rear in the same size 29 x 2.4 is noticeably snappier when I occasionally swap to it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Currently running the minion's DHF,DHRII, looking for something perhaps a little faster rolling with similar grip.
DHR or the aggressor will be slightly faster rolling in the front. They all have similar side knobs so cornering still great. Once you get used to the cornering of any of those tires it is really hard to go back. At this point on the season, I wouldn’t do an aggressor as they sorta suck in the wet.

The rekon has bigger cornering knobs but I found the transition knobs to be a bit “slippery”and they wore super fast.

goodvibe

Fat bike-Van Helga's in the summer, Dillinger 5's in the winter.
27.5+ Schwable Nobby Nic

Lots of traction, but I am slow and don't care about fast rolling.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It isn't raining, so we should be ok.
if it were early February, we'd need to shut this down quickly.

one piece crank

Nope, they make Minions in 4.8 yo.
How about an Honest review? On paper they look heavy. In drier conditions, width & pressure give me most of my traction and tread pattern is somewhat irrelevant. And in Snow, despite the design's age, tubeless Buds are simply perfect.

Last edited:

pygmypony

i swapped to the minion SS 2.3 rear and thought it would be a summer/dry conditions tire only, but have kept it on for the last year or so and love it (side not, just got my first ever puncture on it this morning and had to plug it...worked fine, but will be ordering a back-up just in case!)

for the front, i recently put on the terravail honcho 2.6...it's great in dry conditions - super fast, and super grippy, but it doesn't shed crud that well, so it's lacking in anything other than dry conditions

i have the terravail kessel 2.6 for when the weather changes (which is basically now)...that's roughly the same tread pattern as the minion DHF, but figured i'd give the terravail a whirl. i've had great luck with those tires on my gravel bike, and have reallly liked the honcho so...

this is on my pivot trail 429

Jrzjoe

Ive tried a bunch lately. Many mentioned above.
Right now I’m running an bontrager xr4 2.4 up front and was running recon 2.4 in the back but the 3c tread gets beat up so quick I decided to look around. Picked up a shwalbe rock razor because it looked pretty fast and came with solid reviews. When I got it home I realized it was over a thousand grams and was kindof disappointed, but it’s been solid. Kindof felt the weight at first but it’s a fair trade off considering how much I dig the tire in every condition I’ve ridden it in, which has been everything except mud. By all accounts they’re terrible in the mud. This setup is on my full suspension.
My single speed has a specialized ground control 2.4 up front which I like and a specialized slaughter on the back. It resembles the rock razor but doesn’t handle very well at all. I feel like the side knobs fold over in a turn and the center knob spacing is a bit skimpy. there are substantial voids of tread between the small center knobs and the side knobs, which seem too soft.The sidewalls offer little support and it is very pressure sensitive, which I’m ok with when a sweet spot can be found. This tire has either too little PSI or too much, though it is fast and seems to hook up in some conditions. Just not when turning.

Bikeworks

Running Nobby Nic/Hans Dampf on the Epic HT for trail riding. Tried running the Racing Ray/Ralph (recommended XC tire combo) but it's a bit too slippy for me as a non-racer (but fast as hell). For my long-travel Enduro it's Magic Mary/Hans Dampf, with a Big Betty for park days (yes I'm a Schwalbe fanboi).

Top Bottom