Lets talk about compression

wonderturtle

In my long-term battle against leg cramps I have recently come to the opinion that (for me) compression is the key. I recently bought a pair of cheap calf sleeves from a sporting goods store and am convinced that they do wonders ((for me) in keeping cramps at bay.

So, with the success of these cheap compression sleeves, I am thinking of investing in a pair (or two) of some legit compression stuff (whether just calves or whole-leg compression stuff). I was wondering if anyone has some products they would recommend?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Subscribed.

Where is your primary cramping? I'm hamstrings and adductors.
I took endurolyte, and had hammer perpetuem mixed heavy yesterday - tried to stay on it. survived the ride, 1 set of cramps around 8pm.

would consider adding compression - during and/or after.

Last edited:

wonderturtle

Subscribed.

Where is your primary cramping? I'm hamstrings and adductors.
I took endurolyte, and had hammer perpetuem mixed heavy yesterday - tried to stay on it. survived the ride, 1 set of cramps around 8pm.

would consider adding compression - during and/or after.

primarily has been calves. but on occasion has been upper-inside thigh (that abductors?) - that's why considering full leg.

I use an electrolyte drink (EFS) - that combined with the compression have served me well.

wonderturtle

In my findings, (besides the obvious water and good hydration practice) the only thing that helps cramping.... Is to get in better shape. I cramp up when I push harder than I have prepared myself to.

agreed. certainly part of my effort to keep the cramps at bay is training. as I've endeavored to do rides like the Hell of Hunterdon I have modified my training to include longer training rides (without that I would have no chance - compression or no compression).

and regarding the degree of effort - I've also learned to manage my effort during such rides to keep the cramps away. on a few of the hills yesterday I wanted to push (e.g., saw a group or a rider in front that I wanted to catch) but I KNEW that if I really pushed it I would have blown up my legs so I stayed in a comfortable zone and plugged on.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am a cramper as well and interested in this.

Quads are first to go and then next, its the calves.
Other than conditioning, I've experienced that stretching helps quite a bit.

goldsbar

Interesting. I'll get calf cramps after a hard ride up the radio tower virtual climb on Zwift. Sometimes even sooner; on near 100% hill efforts I can get calf cramps after a hard 10 minute climb. Real life riding, usually my quads cramp first. Thing is, sometimes I can go for much longer, but for no apparent reason (same in shape, same nutrition). Sometimes I'll go through spells where I wake up with searing calf cramps in the middle of the night, but my routines are fairly consistent. Really hard to self diagnose. I bought some pills from Amazon that get me through rides like Hillier than Thou, but haven't found a total cure.

RSAmerica

Crank the electrolyte.

I use Hammer ENDUROLYTES FIZZ, try a few brands and see what works for you. I use 1 Fizz tablet for every 16 oz.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Crank the electrolyte.

I use Hammer ENDUROLYTES FIZZ, try a few brands and see what works for you. I use 1 Fizz tablet for every 16 oz.

ill second this, i like GUs tabs, and their energy mix powder for longer rides, calories AND electrolytes!

pkovo

In my long-term battle against leg cramps I have recently come to the opinion that (for me) compression is the key. I recently bought a pair of cheap calf sleeves from a sporting goods store and am convinced that they do wonders ((for me) in keeping cramps at bay.

So, with the success of these cheap compression sleeves, I am thinking of investing in a pair (or two) of some legit compression stuff (whether just calves or whole-leg compression stuff). I was wondering if anyone has some products they would recommend?

They are pretty basic, but I have and like McDavid calf sleeves.

I'm not prone to cramping, but I am prone to calf strains and tears. About a year ago I started wearing calf sleeves. First on one calf that was recovering from a strain, but it really seemed to help and I found myself wearing it even after I was healed up, so I grabbed another one and still wear them proactively.

These ate just basic neoprene sleeves, but they have held their shape and elasticity well, and the seams are well done. My knee pads fit fine over the top of them without any discomfort etc.. I think I got one at sneakers plus, an the other off Amazon. They are inexpensive.

Top Bottom