Let's say I want to go to Diablo...

BiknBen

I'm a long-time XC rider, racer, etc. I'm not going to brag about my hucking skills. Is Diablo oriented in a way that beginners can enjoy? What does a typical day including rental end up costing? Are the rental bikes worthy?

Thanks for the assistance.

Woohooo, First post in the Gravity Forum!!!

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I'm a long-time XC rider, racer, etc. I'm not going to brag about my hucking skills. Is Diablo oriented in a way that beginners can enjoy? What does a typical day including rental end up costing? Are the rental bikes worthy?

Thanks for the assistance.

Woohooo, First post in the Gravity Forum!!!

The rental bikes are pretty good- just make sure you spend a few minutes getting the bike to fit right and check that the spring rate works for your weight. Cost is about $100 for rental, lift ticket, helmet, etc.

I took one XC'er out there last May for the US Open- we rode and watched- and he was able to score demo bikes from the various company pits rather than having to rent, so if you want to control costs, that's something to think about.

If you're a semi-skilled XC rider, you'll be OK at Diablo on a big bike, and it'll shock you how much easier it is to ride through tech terrain on a slacked out bike with a ton of suspension. They're developing even more beginner-friendly terrain this year, so it should be even better for gravity virgins... ;)

D

DANSPANK

I was going to post that the trails are pretty technical but Jamie mentions that they're making more beginnerish trails so that should be good.

I was expecting a bit more flow. Some of the trails do flow but there is a considerable number of rock gardens with TV-sized rocks to bounce about on. But the additional suspension really does make a huge difference.

You get a different type of soreness at the end of the day - more in your forearms and chest, along with tired thighs from supporting your weight as you stand basically the entire way down.

I would suggest taking a lot of water and then leaving it at the lift base. You don't want to carry it and you certainly get thirsty.

It's a great time.

dhsean

Yippieeee! DH forum. :getsome:

Diablo is a great place for people to try out DH. Everything there is built perfectly and with progression in mind. There are plenty of trails to learn on and others that will knock your teeth out when your feeling cocky. You'll have a great time.

One thing to remember. There is really no trail rules other than the fastest rider always has the right of way. Do not stop anywhere on the trail, always pull off the trail to talk or rest. Safety first. :)

Engignar

They rent out Iron Horse Sundays and 7 Points, both of which are excellent bikes, for 109 and 89 $ respectively http://www.diablofreeridepark.com/bikerentals.html/

I went last year on my 5" travel MKIII and did just fine, although I could see how riding a big hit bike would make a huge difference as some of that terrain is really gnarly. As someone who mainly rides XC/ all mountain (whatever that is) I can say that a day there improved my skills and confidence more than a whole season of regular riding would have. The terrain ranges from super technical steep rock gardens like you have never seen to flowy dirt trails with berms and jumps, and as was mentioned the terrain is supposed to be much expanded this year to bring more people who mountain bike but don't necessarily dh.

Ben - I absolutely recommend going, you will be glad you did. If you want to stay away from the most difficult trails on the mountain for the sake of self preservation, avoid the trails with ominous, death sounding names like Exodus or Stigmata.

dhsean

If you want to stay away from the most difficult trails on the mountain for the sake of self preservation, avoid the trails with ominous, death sounding names like Exodus or Stigmata.

Stigmata! :eek:

Believe it or not I did a race 2 years ago that featured Stigmata. Some racer broke his leg in like 5 places, the trail is still spooky to this day. Imagine trying to race on it. There was definitely contradictions of self preservation and the competitive spirit.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The rule of thumb is that if you see the little white letters "DH" within the black diamond on the trail sign at Diablo, then you should expect some nasty steep rock gardens. The trail that Stigmata is on- BMW- is a fantastic trail, but I wouldn't recommend riding it on your first, or even fifth, visit to Diablo. ;)

I finally hit Stigmata for the first time last year (they had BMW closed for a while, and then the one day I was there and it was open, the conditions were too wet to be comfortable on it). Somehow I lost a pedal coming off the wood and shot off the wood into the rock garden with one foot on the pedal and my ass on the seat trying not to get thrown over the bars or seriously injure myself. I'm not sure quite how I rode that out. Great feature and trickier than it looks.

Here's a helmet-cam vid I shot of two WMBA Diablo newbies last year (Bean and Bikezilla)... first trip and they were hitting some pretty big stuff!

right click to download
http://www.nycmtb.com/video/Diablo-26-Aug-07.mov

cheney

stigmata is definitely spooky. I went over the bars just before the rock face into the wood decking. I almost went off the edge without my bike.

there are a lot of hidden obstacles, not marked at Diablo. It is a good idea to go with someone who has been there before or take your time on a few trails and get to know them.

DownhillR3

This year will have plenty of beginner obstacles and lines for every level rider, no worries. You'll have a blast. If you come from XC, don't think you NEED to ride flats, me & a couple others have always rocked the clipless in DH racing, it's starting to catch on.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Ooookay, so for those of us that haven't been there yet, wanna fill us in on what is true?

For the most part a faster or experienced rider should not have to bear down on a slower rider - with the exception of a race. The fast more experienced rider should give the slower guys a chance to get through a line without any interference.

A slower rider should pay attention to whose behind them and when possible move aside in a clearing or trail intersection. or if having trouble then also move aside, but to just assume that a faster rider has the right of way is simply wrong.

I've heard of Spanish riders using the term "Pista" which means something like coming down - move aside, but never heard of it around here.

BiknBen

I've heard of Spanish riders using the term "Pista" which means something like coming down - move aside, but never heard of it around here.

Pista roughly translates to "Track" from most Euro languages. From Spanish it is "Track" or "Trail".

Wohooo! I made another contribution to the Gravity Forum!!!

dhsean

Ok?

Not true......:rolleyes:

I don't know I have been racing DH since 1999. Fastest rider always has the right of way, there is no way to slow down at full race pace in most sections. If you want to test it out - stop in the middle of the trail and hang out for a while. You'll get smacked sooner or later.

It's how everybody lines up in a train, fastest most skilled rider first then slower behind and so on. You ride with a partner in case someone does go down so you can flag down other riders to slow down. No one is climbing up the trail at a lift access resort so how am I wrong. I'm not talking about freeriding here on a multi-use trail. :hmmm:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I'm not talking about freeriding here on a multi-use trail. :hmmm:

We are not talking about racing, BikenBen clearly states "beginners" wanting to enjoy a day out. Expert riders dont plow into begginers. You are painting a poor picture of DH riders.

I dont care if you've been racing since the beggining of time - you are still wrong. Please give me an example of this theory. I'll give you 2:

ex 1: Beginner on a beginner trail - You smash into him - You are a kook.
ex 2: Begniner makes a mistake and gets onto an expert trail- You smash into him - you are a kook.

Great way to introduce beginners into the sport - Come to Diablo, just dont get into DHSeans way, he will smash into you then you will be run over by his train of pro riders.............awsome:wedgie:

BiknBen

Let's keep it in context. DHSean did mention that one should not "Stop to rest or talk on the trail". Then followed it up with the "faster rider has the right of way".

While I've never been to Diablo, I would expect that some common sense needs to be maintained. If you stop to rest or talk on the trail...you should expect to get run over.

Likewise...if I heard someone screamin up behind me, I would yield, let them pass, then continue. It doesn't need to be a rule. It's just polite and considerate.

dhsean

Don't make the bad guy

Great way to introduce beginners into the sport - Come to Diablo, just dont get into DHSeans way, he will smash into you then you will be run over by his train of pro riders.............awsome:wedgie:

I am just trying to give beginners a heads up for things to watch out for at Diablo so they are not immediately turned off by a rider almost killing them because they are not aware of what is going on. I have broken bike parts and almost killed myself because of unaware riders standing chatting in the middle of blind corners.

If you come there with your kids and your going down Alpine and we all can see you and are aware that your on the trail of course we wait till you are clear before we come down the trail. Not all trails have this line of site and if you hear all hell breaking loose behind you the slower rider should pull off to the right when possible. I'm not the fastest rider on the mountain and there are times when I yield to faster riders coming up on me. Things happen a lot faster at a downhill mountain and I just didn't want beginners to think that we were being discourtious (it hard to slow down and wave "Hi" going full tilt downhill).

P.S. Three words:
Freelap Timing System
This system will be installed on 50% of the trails ay Diablo. Essentially turning the mountain into a training ground for DH racers. People will be training and going full tilt so just be alert for every riders safety, beginner to seasoned pro.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean - your post seem to make sense. However...

P.S. Three words:
Freelap Timing System
This system will be installed on 50% of the trails ay Diablo. Essentially turning the mountain into a training ground for DH racers. People will be training and going full tilt so just be alert for every riders safety, beginner to seasoned pro.

I think you have a problem with math. I count damn near 50 words there. :rofl:

dhsean

Sean - your post seem to make sense. However...

I think you have a problem with math. I count damn near 50 words there. :rofl:

Graphic designer here with a sweet BA. I took the "History of Math" for my math requirement. Numbers make me angry. :mad2:

Top Bottom