Let's Build A Fatbike!

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
So last night I was "lucky" and won a fatboy frame from @Leftymuk . I've always wanted one, but I know nothing about them. This is a bare frame so I think I need everything. I'm going to try to do this like I did with @Patrick 's Motobecane, see how cheaply I can build this up with semi decent parts and see how I like it.

Cheap is good, free or trade would be great. I'll make this promise: I'll either ride it, or if I don't I'll put it back up here for only what I have in it, just I did with the Moto. I won't flip your good deals for a profit in a month! :p

Also any advice on what I need would be welcome too. I have no idea on what wheel spacing and Q-factor cranks I need, so let's start there.

Thanks!

FitmanNJ

Not quiet free, but I've got the following "inexpensive" items:

- Shimano XT CS-M8000 cassette ($25): It's an 11-speed with 11-46 teeth. I used it for a while, but I think it still has some life in it and rode fine when I last used it.
- Avid G2 Clean Sweep brake rotors ($10 each): I have them in both 180mm and 160mm diameter. Six bolt mounting scheme.

Just message me if you think you might be interested. I'm in North Plainfield.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
I should have some leftover parts from my last fat bike build, I’ll check tonight when I’m home

FitmanNJ

@FitmanNJ has wheels ? (did you have clownshoes or rolling darryl??)
DTSwiss BR710 rims (80mm) with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs, Pat, but not sure they would work on this frame. They're 150mm spacing/thru-axle in front and currently setup as 197mm spacing in back (a conversion endcap may be available from DTSwiss to get to the 190mm rear spacing on the Fatboy). Shimano hub driver. The bigger problem = they're kinda nice wheels...I'd be looking for ~$250 for them. Thanks for the shout-out, though:

1569087999687.png

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
DTSwiss BR710 rims (80mm) with Fatback Alaska Edition hubs, Pat, but not sure they would work on this frame. They're 150mm spacing/thru-axle in front and currently setup as 197mm spacing in back (a conversion endcap may be available from DTSwiss to get to the 190mm rear spacing on the Fatboy). Shimano hub driver. The bigger problem = they're kinda nice wheels...I'd be looking for ~$250 for them. Thanks for the shout-out, though:

View attachment 106187
I'm not sure I can get decent rims much cheaper than this? Let me investigate the endcap situation and what fork I would need, and I'll let you know. Thanks.

FitmanNJ

I'm not sure I can get decent rims much cheaper than this? Let me investigate the endcap situation and what fork I would need, and I'll let you know. Thanks.
If it helps any, Tim, the cassette and brake rotors that I mentioned a couple of posts back are compatible with the DTSwiss wheels...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I may need to go over there today. Could pick it up

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
As the parts are coming together (thanks @Patrick + @jimvreeland), I'm getting a bit more clarity on the wheels that I need.

Front: 135mm QR
Rear: 190 QR

OK what do you have? Willing to pay decent money for decent wheels.

Thanks!

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
As the parts are coming together (thanks @Patrick + @jimvreeland), I'm getting a bit more clarity on the wheels that I need.

Front: 135mm QR
Rear: 190 QR

OK what do you have? Willing to pay decent money for decent wheels.

Thanks!

If you don’t find a set of wheels, I’ve got a Paul WHUB 135mm front hub you can have

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
So it looks like I can get pretty good deals on Specialized Wheelsets online. The Specialized Stout XC 90 Fat Bike Wheelset is $199 and the Fatboy SL 26 is $259. Anyone know if the Fatboy SL is worth it? Seems like maybe yes? One issue is that the XC has XD driver and the SL has Shimano.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'm getting ready to install the Race Face PF30 BB. The shells are aluminum and of course the frame is also. The BB instructions say to use grease, but I see mixed things on the interwebs. So should I use grease, anti-sieze grease, regular Loctite or bearing retaining Locktite? @jimvreeland ?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm getting ready to install the Race Face PF30 BB. The shells are aluminum and of course the frame is also. The BB instructions say to use grease, but I see mixed things on the interwebs. So should I use grease, anti-sieze grease, regular Loctite or bearing retaining Locktite? @jimvreeland ?

you should pay @jimvreeland to put it in for you, then you dont have to think about it!

Top Bottom