less helmets being worn by NJ kiddies

MTB Aussie

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my girls have been wearing helmets forever. if i'm going to wear one, why on earth wouldn't i make them? common sense. they were even wearing them in their barbie jeep for awhile...they couldn't even keep the rubber side down on those things!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
my dad and I were talking about this the other day when I gave him one of my old helmets. It is tough when you are riding around the neighborhood at 5MPH with the kiuds to slp on a helmet. do as I say not as i do?

MTB Aussie

my dad and I were talking about this the other day when I gave him one of my old helmets. It is tough when you are riding around the neighborhood at 5MPH with the kiuds to slp on a helmet. do as I say not as i do?
I've had the kids call me out on that one when just rolling down the street to my buddies house. I tell them when they think they are as good on a bike as I am that I am ready to test them on it, usually at Allamuchy or somewhere else they have never ridden!

C

caminante

i love the person who compared riding a bike with no helmet to playing soccer and heading the ball!!!

MTB Aussie

i love the person who compared riding a bike with no helmet to playing soccer and heading the ball!!!
That was the stupidest comment I think I read in a long time (the soccer header comparison). Perhaps he headbutted a curb way back and doesn't see the difference between a soccer ball and concrete.

T

thelmuffinman

When I was growing up in Flemington, a cop would always be out in the major neighborhoods on his police bike. When he saw a kid riding without a helmet, he'd stop and explain why it's important to have one, and gave them a "red ticket". The ticket was then taken to the station where it could be traded for a helmet. If you were wearing a helmet already, he'd stop you, tell you your doing a good job a give you a "green ticket". Which was a chance to win a brand new bike. Point being if they set something like this up all over, it'd help alot, I know it helped me when I was little!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
When I was growing up in Flemington, a cop would always be out in the major neighborhoods on his police bike. When he saw a kid riding without a helmet, he'd stop and explain why it's important to have one, and gave them a "red ticket". The ticket was then taken to the station where it could be traded for a helmet. If you were wearing a helmet already, he'd stop you, tell you your doing a good job a give you a "green ticket". Which was a chance to win a brand new bike. Point being if they set something like this up all over, it'd help alot, I know it helped me when I was little!

FANTASTIC!!!

Can we set something up like this for the big kids playing in the woods?
Sounds like a big PR and promotional opportunity to me...

N

Njpaulie

Rewind 1979 - I was 7 yrs old - Cruising down a huge Hill on my BMX bike - I hit my break hard to avoid running over my buddies baseball cap. The sidewalk and raised in one section. The result - the lifted sidewalk treated my rear tire like an aluminum baseball bat to a golf ball.

I was airborne land square on my head into the sidewalk.
Result:
Fractured Skull
Bleeding out my Ear and my Eye socket was a huge baseball size blood sack.
I was in a coma for 1 week. and By the Grace of God survived with no permanent damage (although my wife will disagree)
I wasn't allowed to ride for a year. And when i could I had to wear a helmet. I was the only kid in what seemed the world wearing a helmet in NJ in 1980.

GET HELMETS ON THESE KIDS ANYWAY WE CAN! All ideas are good ideas!

Just me personal input.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Rewind 1979 - I was 7 yrs old - Cruising down a huge Hill on my BMX bike - I hit my break hard to avoid running over my buddies baseball cap. The sidewalk and raised in one section. The result - the lifted sidewalk treated my rear tire like an aluminum baseball bat to a golf ball.

I was airborne land square on my head into the sidewalk.
Result:
Fractured Skull
Bleeding out my Ear and my Eye socket was a huge baseball size blood sack.
I was in a coma for 1 week. and By the Grace of God survived with no permanent damage (although my wife will disagree)
I wasn't allowed to ride for a year. And when i could I had to wear a helmet. I was the only kid in what seemed the world wearing a helmet in NJ in 1980.

GET HELMETS ON THESE KIDS ANYWAY WE CAN! All ideas are good ideas!

Just me personal input.

image.php

hahaah. no permanent damage huh? hahaha just kidding. good to hear you made it out that alive though.

Top Bottom