Learn me some Titanium gravel bikes

Blair

Looking for recommendations for Ti gravel options, brands, styles, etc. if you’ve owned or know someone or are in the market for one researching or have some options at your LBS. I’m looking for something that would be as good on the road and on gravel and on somewhat of a budget(Ti wise), moots gravel is not reasonable price for me at $7k plus but would be nice I’m sure. I heard some positive things about ribble the uk brand..$2.5 to 3k. I’d rather get a less expensive bike/frame set and upgrade components as I go.

JDurk

Custom or stock?
I've looked at all of these for a Ti mtb.

Blair

Custom or stock?
I've looked at all of these for a Ti mtb.
Thanks, the chumba looks interesting and somewhat available. Indyfab is still making rim brakes? So 2013…
I don’t need a custom bike, just no crazy dimensions like all city.

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Solace Cycles out of NY. I have spoken to them in the past about a frameset, but have not pulled the trigger.

Ian F

I have casually thought about this as well. Somewhat leaning towards a Vassago as we have a past relationship with them. Engin is another option, as I've known the owner/builder for 25 years and I can deal with him in person. Plus, the latter would be an entirely custom bike, so I could more likely get exactly what I want. So far, I am becoming less fond of "gravel geometry" the more I ride my GT Grade. I really just want a traditional/classic European style road bike with more tire clearance.

Karate Monkey

I have casually thought about this as well. Somewhat leaning towards a Vassago as we have a past relationship with them. Engin is another option, as I've known the owner/builder for 25 years and I can deal with him in person. Plus, the latter would be an entirely custom bike, so I could more likely get exactly what I want. So far, I am becoming less fond of "gravel geometry" the more I ride my GT Grade. I really just want a traditional/classic European style road bike with more tire clearance.

*cough*touring bike*cough*

amiright, industry people?

Ian F

*cough*touring bike*cough*

amiright, industry people?
I've considered that as well. The problem is while I like the idea of doing a long, multi-day bike tour, I'm not sure I'd actually do it.

The reality is I just need one of those fancy new disc brake road bikes since most of those can fit much larger tires than my Colnago can - which just barely fits a 25c tire - provided I soften the rear tire before installing the wheel in the frame. I'll probably start thinking about it about a year from now when hopefully/maybe things start to settle down. When I'm staring at a large house renovation, the idea of dropping nearly 5 figures on a new road bike doesn't make a lot of sense.

Karate Monkey

I've considered that as well. The problem is while I like the idea of doing a long, multi-day bike tour, I'm not sure I'd actually do it.

The reality is I just need one of those fancy new disc brake road bikes since most of those can fit much larger tires than my Colnago can - which just barely fits a 25c tire - provided I soften the rear tire before installing the wheel in the frame. I'll probably start thinking about it about a year from now when hopefully/maybe things start to settle down. When I'm staring at a large house renovation, the idea of dropping nearly 5 figures on a new road bike doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek...you probably don't want a touring bike unless you are actually TOURING, but for years, the industry sold fat tire drop bar bikes as touring bikes, then it was CX bikes, now it's gravel bikes. In the main line: there is no actual difference, BUT:

An actual touring bike (with tubes chosen for stiffness/steering geometry to match) sucks for riding unloaded--at least compared to a 'sport' bike. Consider: a fork designed for holding up the bike+30 pounds of extra cargo on the blades, is going to suck for reducing chatter+steering unless you happen to have it loaded up.

You probably(?) want to look at a frameset that comes with a fork with no 5 million threaded 'brazes' unless you are going to use them. Consider tolerating: a classic 26" Ti bike with a new raked steel or carbon fork to match your tire size. 26x2.0 floats like nothing else on chunky roads. Hard to find right now, but you should be able to build something functional for under $1k.

-YETI-

A little more expensive (but not Moots $$) the Seven team is great. During the process, you also work with a LBS like Halters as well. I’ve had many bikes thru the years and my Sevens are my favorite- hands down.

Ian F

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek...you probably don't want a touring bike unless you are actually TOURING, but for years, the industry sold fat tire drop bar bikes as touring bikes, then it was CX bikes, now it's gravel bikes. In the main line: there is no actual difference, BUT:

An actual touring bike (with tubes chosen for stiffness/steering geometry to match) sucks for riding unloaded--at least compared to a 'sport' bike. Consider: a fork designed for holding up the bike+30 pounds of extra cargo on the blades, is going to suck for reducing chatter+steering unless you happen to have it loaded up.

You probably(?) want to look at a frameset that comes with a fork with no 5 million threaded 'brazes' unless you are going to use them. Consider tolerating: a classic 26" Ti bike with a new raked steel or carbon fork to match your tire size. 26x2.0 floats like nothing else on chunky roads. Hard to find right now, but you should be able to build something functional for under $1k.
Sort of. A dedicated touring bike is nothing like a gravel bike. Longer chain stays, lower bottom bracket are usually the main differences. The "tell" is being able to fit a frame pump and a fender between the seat tube and the rear tire. And yes - designed to handle heavy loads and multiple long days in the saddle. Although compared to the weight of the rider, the "loaded" part isn't that big a deal.

26" x 2.0 on the road sounds like torture.

Eventually I'll get something like an Orbea Orca. With either AXS or the new Dura-Ace.

The Kalmyk

I like the feel of a 26inch wheel rotational turnover on the road. If youre not in it for the speed (dare i say), then the 26incher is fuuunnn.

Blair

Someone sells 26” Ti bikes? And build for under 1k? Explain?

liong71er

@Blair about 4 yrs ago i was thinking about getting a Gravelbikes,,then i remember i have my 26er Titus Ti just collecting dust
so,i converted it to a Gravelbikes with modern day gravel Components.
it cost me about $900 to convert.

just to gave you another option.

1C8245D2-B4BF-430A-A9B7-31C15657CE0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ian F

True... if you can find an old 26" disc brake frame, then running 29er road/touring wheels should work. They can usually be had for far less than they sold for when new and often with pretty high-end components.

Back in the mid 90's, I set up one of my mtn bikes for touring with 26 x 1.5 slick tires, a rear rack with panniers and a Scott AT-4 Pro bar with built-in aero bars. It worked pretty well.

Top Bottom