Learn me about GPS/Bluetooth Watches.

dmkalemba

I was using a garmin forerunner 235 until i bashed it on a rock at Wildcat. GPS was very good, heart rate was directionally correct most of the time. Sync with strava was good.

Blair

Thanks for the feedback. The forerunner and Fenix are in the $500 range so still on the fence if worthwhile or not. I don’t use a garmin on the bike, only Strava on the phone while riding, so some of the metrics would be interesting to me. I wouldn’t use it for distance or mapping.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the feedback. The forerunner and Fenix are in the $500 range so still on the fence if worthwhile or not. I don’t use a garmin on the bike, only Strava on the phone while riding, so some of the metrics would be interesting to me. I wouldn’t use it for distance or mapping.
There's usually always 20% off if you buy through your insurance company rewards. I did that with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

And most of the metrics are available on the 245/745 which could be a lot cheaper than the Fenix.

Blair

There's usually always 20% off if you buy through your insurance company rewards. I did that with Blue Cross Blue Shield.

And most of the metrics are available on the 245/745 which could be a lot cheaper than the Fenix.
How do you buy through insurance? I figure I could get 20 off via REI discounts. Leaning towards the forerunner 745 since it’s a newer model

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How do you buy through insurance? I figure I could get 20 off via REI discounts. Leaning towards the forerunner 745 since it’s a newer model

Look into the 245 if you're considering the 745. 745 is a newer model but it doesn't seem like a new generation. Just as I would advise against the 645 because it's an older and now unsupported model for newer features. But the 245/745/945 seems like they're in the same generation with similar hardware. The 745 just seems like a less featured 945 stopgap so they have a triathalon watch, and something mid-range to replace the 645.

Also, if you do buy a watch, also just immediately purchase https://www.amazon.com/EZCO-Compatible-Vivoactive-Charging-Forerunner/dp/B07L3TQP9B

The watch rests on it while charging, and you're going to be shuffling around looking for a charging cable every now and then so it's worth the $10. I just use the Garmin one for travelling.

That being said, the battery life is awesome and I just charge when I'm in the shower.

I also bought a screen protector for a few bucks from Amazon. I think it came with 3 protectors, and so far in 14 months I'm still on the first. Slight nicks in it but nothing that makes me want to tear it off and put another on.

Blair

Look into the 245 if you're considering the 745. 745 is a newer model but it doesn't seem like a new generation. Just as I would advise against the 645 because it's an older and now unsupported model for newer features. But the 245/745/945 seems like they're in the same generation with similar hardware. The 745 just seems like a less featured 945 stopgap so they have a triathalon watch, and something mid-range to replace the 645.

Also, if you do buy a watch, also just immediately purchase https://www.amazon.com/EZCO-Compatible-Vivoactive-Charging-Forerunner/dp/B07L3TQP9B

The watch rests on it while charging, and you're going to be shuffling around looking for a charging cable every now and then so it's worth the $10. I just use the Garmin one for travelling.

That being said, the battery life is awesome and I just charge when I'm in the shower.

I also bought a screen protector for a few bucks from Amazon. I think it came with 3 protectors, and so far in 14 months I'm still on the first. Slight nicks in it but nothing that makes me want to tear it off and put another on.
Fast forward 45 days I’ve been wearing the 245 for almost a month. Battery life is great, it had more tracking stuff than I expected and quite a bit via the app. Not sure about how accurate it is but like Patrick said, it’s a baseline to watch. VO2 max is always “excellent”, and I like the training status of “detraining” aka get off your ass.
On the topic of metrics, the outdoor biking assumes road/pavement effort. Does anyone edit their data for mountain bike effort? I’ve always estimated that mtb effort was roughly 2x road but that would mean the metrics would double for calories, watts or doubling the mileage in the same timeframe.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fast forward 45 days I’ve been wearing the 245 for almost a month. Battery life is great, it had more tracking stuff than I expected and quite a bit via the app. Not sure about how accurate it is but like Patrick said, it’s a baseline to watch. VO2 max is always “excellent”, and I like the training status of “detraining” aka get off your ass.
On the topic of metrics, the outdoor biking assumes road/pavement effort. Does anyone edit their data for mountain bike effort? I’ve always estimated that mtb effort was roughly 2x road but that would mean the metrics would double for calories, watts or doubling the mileage in the same timeframe.
Hmmm. I thought it used the heart rate actually for the effort. Unless it's a watch/edge and a power meter and then it uses that.

Blair

Hmmm. I thought it used the heart rate actually for the effort. Unless it's a watch/edge and a power meter and then it uses that.
For reference I also use Strava at the same time, and the calories were 15 different, 980 vs 995 with no heart rate on strava over 2 hours. Mileage, time, speed, calories and elevation were all almost identical.

Top Bottom