Learn me about GPS/Bluetooth Watches.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I don't typically wear one, but I'm thinking I may want to. I like this idea of having a GPS/Bluetooth watch while riding instead of the head unit. upload straight to Garmin, bluetooth connect with power/heart rate. Hoping to find something that would be a sports type watch, but also just a regular everyday watch. Is this possible?

Can I have some expert advice please? What seems to be the starting point for this? Can a watch actually replace the use of a head unit?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
momma has a Apple Watch, thinking something like the Garmin offerings that look like a real watch doe

Mahnken

I've been wearing the fenix 3hr for a couple years now, pretty much 24/7. My Garmin edge 800 broke right before I got it and I haven't missed it, the watch does it all.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
momma has a Apple Watch, thinking something like the Garmin offerings that look like a real watch doe
You first should break it into:

A) Do you want a smart watch?
B) Do you want a sports watch?

Because really it's clearly divided between those two and there's no watch lineup that works well for both. For a smart watch, you want a touchscreen. For a sports watch, you DON'T want a touchscreen. The nice screens on a smart watch kill battery life.

Make sure it supports the sensor types you want/need. Garmin gets annoying in that they don't support power on the lower end watches, purely to force you into the higher end models. For instance the 245/245M that I use is a great watch, absolutely love it and only take it off when I shower. But it doesn't support power. Nor does it support maps, multi-sport, etc. Would need a 945 for that stuff, or the new 755. But if I'm just riding along and want to record the ride, it's right there and I don't need to bring a head unit.

So my question is, what are your must-have features?

Really the only upsides I see for a head unit:
1) Easier to read on the bike. Bigger display = more fields. Outdoor workouts I would think a head unit is a must.
2) Maps. Which let's be honest, they suck on head units too.
3) Possibly less likely to get destroyed on rocks during a crash.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I think more sports watch. I don’t wanna read the stuff while I’m riding, just record it. No maps or anything on the watch. I’d save workouts for head units. Use the watch for group rides, maybe mtb in the local trail where I know where I’m going. Use the watch for the times i don’t need to pay attention to all that info. I think that makes sense?

kearneyb

I ride with a garmin instinct. Most definitely a rugged sport watch. Looks like an old gshock watch. Records distance, elevation and heart rate and dumps to strava through garmin connect. Has settings for road or mtb which you can customize (gps, 3D track, auto pause,etc). One mode regularly over records elevation and the other under records according to strava. Only had issues with heart rate monitor on one ride (watch had me asleep the entire ride). Does what it is supposed to do. Doesn’t replace a head unit, but it is all I use to record. Originally purchased for downhill skiing. Took multiple emails with garmin to finally get it to record ski runs correctly. I don’t really care for the styling, so it is not an everyday watch for me. However it is definitely more rugged and robust when compared to similar watches. I think it was $199 new last fall.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a fenix 5. It’s way better than an Apple Watch for recording rides.
It’s basically a garmin 520 strapped to your wrist. Minus the ability to use it to navigate.
But it also tracks sleep and other stuff you may like to look at.
if I didn’t wear an Apple Watch for work, I would wear the Garmin all the time instead.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think more sports watch. I don’t wanna read the stuff while I’m riding, just record it. No maps or anything on the watch. I’d save workouts for head units. Use the watch for group rides, maybe mtb in the local trail where I know where I’m going. Use the watch for the times i don’t need to pay attention to all that info. I think that makes sense?

Budget may matter. What are you willing to spend?

If power doesn't matter, Garmin 45 or 245 if looking newer. They are really nice watches, and great sport watches.

If money is an issue, an older unit like a 645, 7 series etc can be very coast effective.

I'm really amazed how nice the watch is overall. It's not like the steaming pile the head units are.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I’d like it to at least be able to pair Bluetooth stuff to it. Otherwise i wouldn’t want one... do people buy used watches lol

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’d like it to at least be able to pair Bluetooth stuff to it. Otherwise i wouldn’t want one... do people buy used watches lol

I can pair Bluetooth and ANT.
Do you even know how to google bro

rlb

Maybe a silly question, but why not just use your phone?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Newer watches do Ant+ along with BLE. Older ones much less so. Although I'm not sure what device doesn't actually transmit Ant+ but it's nice to have BLE available.

Whatever watch you're looking for, DCRainmaker will have a nice review on it.

Is your birthday coming up? https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/633625/pn/010-02006-15

one piece crank

Maybe a silly question, but why not just use your phone?
That’s what I do - start record on a few Apps then start riding. Phone is tucked away in my frame bag. I have an Apple Watch too, so I can check time or my heart rate any time (or even answer a phone call). No problems with the watch touch screen either, I even touch the heart icon on the screen with my nose to trigger heart rate monitor. Watch gets recharged every other day.

Reactions: rlb
Top Bottom