Lean me about propane delivery

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Recently moved to a new place that is on propane, which is all new to us. There are leased tanks on the property and the provider just sent us a price protect agreement for 2020-21 at 2.299, no enrollment fee. Before I go and commit to anything I’m curious what most people do? Is tank leasing typical? I don’t like the idea of being locked to a provider but our tank is buried and I don’t see us tearing up the yard to save a few bus. Is it usually a good idea to lock in prices during the summer? what’s a reasonable price to lock in fuel price at this point? Thanks!

RobW

yes, lease the tanks if there is a service contract involved.. you dont want that added expense if you have an emergency.... that could get pricey

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's

I burn fuel oil and fire wood chief. Not propane.

I have lived in houses that used propane though and the tank was always leased so I guess in my experience it was typical. I honestly don't remember the terms of any of the contracts though.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
my home in lk george uses LP for water and the fireplace. Leased tank (above ground, so less barriers to FU)
we never sign a contract, and just pay the spot price.

Purchased a wifi sending unit for tank status - it connects to the propane dealer, but they don't use it for delivery.

Other companies will not fill a leased tank - they will claim liability issues.

in any scenario - you aren't going to save or spend an amount that is more significant than
a base level townie per year - so don't overthink it. i think i paid close to $3/gal in jan - which is the worst time to buy it.

you are full-blown LP for everything? heat, water, cooktop? fireplace?

Fire Lord Jim

I live in the sticks, and have a 1000 gallon tank buried.
Yes, you buy from the tank owner. As Patrick noted, the spot price usually is better than locking in a contract.

Now sing along to the Propane song.

ebarker9

My condolences. I'm on propane as well for heat/hot water/range. Took over the tank lease from the previous owner with Amerigas and it was reminiscent of dealing with a cable company. The worst cable company. Trying to lock you in to various plans for extended periods of time, auto renewals, etc. I was looking for the plan that was "pay a fair market rate upon delivery". They weren't keen on that. Eventually I got fed up and spoke to Advantage propane who stated that their max per gallon price, at the peak of some of the shortages a few years ago, was still less than the lowest rate I'd been paying with Amerigas. Spoke to a manager at Amerigas, at length, about my issues with them and he eventually lowered their rate by $1/gallon. So, you were in a position to offer me something that would save me something on the order of $1k per year, but didn't because I had to threaten to leave and go through all of the negotiating BS that nobody wants to deal with first? That's exactly the reason that I left.

Been happy with Advantage. Still bitter about Amerigas. They went so far as to take me to collections over a renewal fee that they'd stated multiple times had been removed. Hate those guys.

Anyway, hope your experience is better!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the info. This is all sort of what I feared. Leased & buried tanks seems like the worst possible lock-in scenario.

We are 100% propane for heat, hot water, cooking, pool (gasp).

I’m going to call around a few companies to check rates but thinking that it seems reasonable to lock in rates that are OK now rather than being gouged and have no choice when we really need a fill up in January.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks for the info. This is all sort of what I feared. Leased & buried tanks seems like the worst possible lock-in scenario.

We are 100% propane for heat, hot water, cooking, pool (gasp).

I’m going to call around a few companies to check rates but thinking that it seems reasonable to lock in rates that are OK now rather than being gouged and have no choice when we really need a fill up in January.

read about pool management! It is the largest appliance. Don’t turn it on is the first rule ?

Top Bottom