LBS vs Online Difference

SmooveP

Hey guys! I just want to repeat what I said earlier. I didn't create the thread to convince myself to buy from a LBS because my intention is really to buy from LBS. My question is about what is reasonable if there is even a way to quantify it.

Honestly its a little unfair since we don't get responses from anyone representing the online stores. I know most of you guys either work or own an LBS or have good personal relations with people in the LBS and I respect all your POV. But this doesnt answer my question:)

I just visited another LBS near me yesterday and I gave them the list I need. He quoted me $141 less than the first one. So right now, the 1st LBS gave me a price which is 40% higher than my online price and the 2nd one gave me 23% higher.

So right now, we have a range of 23~40%? My source is just 2 LBS so this may not be the average but if you guys look at it, the margin is so far.

I know we get a lot from LBS but how do we know if we are paying too much? I know there are so many good LBS but this doesnt mean that there are no LBS that is overcharging us.

Like what the other poster said earlier, cant we or the LBS do something about the "dumping" of products by manufacturers to online store for a very low price? If the manufacturers can give the online store a very low price, then why not offer the same to LBS?

Also, I dont believe most LBS buy lump quantities of parts and stock it in their warehouse. Based on what I saw, they still have to order it from the manufacturer or somewhere. So what will prevent the LBS from buying the parts from the cheap online store and charge us the LBS price?

Again, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LBS as I am still going to get my parts from them. This is just for discussion on what we think is reasonable or acceptable for you personally. I think this will benefit both us riders and the LBS.

Oy. "Reasonable" is subjective. Ask 10 people what a fair price is, and you'll get 10 different answers. For me, paying 10% offl retail price might be reasonable. For someone else, they might feel ripped off if the shop owner drives a nicer car than they do.

"Dumping" is a strong word. In international commerce, it refers to selling goods at a loss to corner the market. The way it's used here is less evil: if a manufacturer or wholesaler has excess inventory he wants to move, it's often easier to unload it all at once at a discount than take the chance that he won't be able to sell it at all. A LBS COULD get better prices by buying ANYTHING in larger volume, but what are the chances a small shop a) can afford to do that, b) has the space to store it, c) wants to take the risk that they can sell it? There is nothing evil about suppliers offering big discounts to customers who buy in volume. It's called economics. Also nothing evil about a bike shop trying to get the best price they can. It's called making a living.

A LBS could buy stuff at the cheap online price. I have no ideas if it's ever lower than their wholesale price. Reasons not to might include warranty issues or hurting relations with their wholesale distributor.

Like everyone has been hinting at, there's no easy way to know or calculate a "fair" price. Wholesale prices are not published (they vary depending on volume anyway). Most manufacturers publish the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), so you could at least use that to make sure you're not paying more than MSRP.

To confuse you even more, many online stores are LBS's, too. Some are out in the open, and some do it in a sneaky way like an eBay store. That way they can drink from both ends of the straw - the low-ball/low margin end and the high-margin/high-service end.

Hope that helps.

p.s., I'm not a bike shop owner, but at one time I wanted to be, and I've spent some time looking into it. Not an easy way to make a living!

jinda

Found this on craigslist=

Business FOR SALE: LBS

Settle down in this beutiful downtown bike shop. Where you can enjoy working long hours and weekends for almost nothing. Enjoy the benefits of carrying large inventories of products that will be obsolete in less than 12 months time. Good luck finding employees who will want to work for less than what you make. Enjoy watching every dime you make get mailed into the NJ div of taxation and various other 'non profit' organizations. Dont worry if you fail because YOU will not be able to collect unemployment. And the #1 reason anyone should open a bike shop....you get to answer the question "Why is it cheaper on the internet" on a daily basis.

Did I miss anything?

Not sure if you're serious but is this supposed to answer my question?

jinda

The average online price for X.0 Shifter Set is above $200. Few sites can offer them for less but some of thene don't have any reputation other probably don't have them in stock.

Well, $200 is still $67 less than the 1st LBS' price. About 33.5%. May not be bad, maybe.

The answer to that is likely no. Like Jdog said, it is all about buying power. The online guys reach so many people that they can buy thousands of whatever, where even the busiest store may be able to buy 50. Simple business knowledge tells you that each time you do a different transaction, the cost of the product goes up due to shipping and admin costs, so the company can't give the same price for selling to 2 online places as it would 200 LBS's.

Good point also sir!

Oy. "Reasonable" is subjective.

I didn't quote your whole post to save space:) But I appreciate you taking your time to write something worth reading. You're right, I think subjective is the right word. It varies. 40% may be nothing to somebody but too much for someone.

I understand that LBS owners are making a living like we all try to do. That's why I am hoping we can get something that will be beneficial for both, buyers and LBS.

23% margin from the 2nd LBS seems to be reasonable to me. I think more than 30% is on the high side already. At least for me. I think I'll set my limit to 25% hehe. Just to have a benchmark.

I am not planning to get another quote from another LBS. Its a bit exhausting and I am excited to get my upgrades already.

Thanks for all of you who gave your opinion. I read everything and I understand and respect every word. I hope I didn't offend anyone in the process.

We can still continue with the topic though if you guys have something more to say:)

Last edited:

aedubber

It's your money , your wallet , your time put at work to make the money , and your choice . Order from where YOU want to order from . Every place will have a different price . When you have your own business you take a risk , I own a pizzeria , someone people will buy pizza elsewhere cuz it's cheaper , doesn't bother me cuz I have my own steady clients that come back for more then just the price service etc .. Its all part of the business industry , no way I can sell my pizzas as cheap as dominos does , my doors would be shut .

TheBikeGuy1

Shop: The Bicycle Hub
Shop Keep
Bike mechanic at local shop

Hello,
i have read through this forum and would like to comment on a couple of things. i agree with you on the fact that some LBS are making a little more on the margins then the online distributer.
REASONS FOR THIS
1)ONLINE SHOPS DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FIT YOU ORDER THE WONG PART YOUR STUCK
2)BUYER PAYS THE SHIPPING TYPICALLY
3)MANY ONLINE STORES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED DEALERS OF THIS PRODUCT
4)THEY DO NOT HAVE A RETAIL SPACE IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY WHICH HAS SOME OF THE HIGHEST COST
5) THEY CANNOT BUY THE PRODUCT IN BULK
I would also like to add on to what some have said about the customer service. as a bike shop mechanic, it is my job to help you get the right part at the right price and make sure the product is not only going to work on the bike but also is good for the use you are using it for and to guide you in the right direction. although we love talking about the awesome bike parts in order to stay in business we need to make money, that being said estimates are typically free. we also want to give you the customer the satisfaction of a place to come to if you have any questions about the product or any problems with the product down the line we take care of all issues in house and will work with you on getting you a replacement part as soon as possible. this is all built into the price of the product. also we are selling you the newest product on the market typically unless we otherwise tell you, where as some of the online retailer neglect to tell you the year of the product.

i hope this helps at all
thanks
sean

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
My husband wanted new pedals, he was looking online and was picking out pedals I thought were waaayyyy wrong for him. He wanted these huge-beefy-downhill-style-crush-a-leg-type of pedals. So I said "lets go see Jason, you need a new helmet anyway and you just cannot buy one of those online as you need to try it on"

So its off to Halters...

In the store: I recommend a few different ones but husband is STILL whining he wants those other pedals. I am trying to talk him out of it with various reasons...Jason comes over hands him some pedals (the first ones I picked for him too, by the way) and Jason says "you want these trust me"

SOLD!

and my husband LOVES them.

If he had purchased online, he may have saved $70 INITIALLY but been stuck with pedals he would be complaining about and still need to get different ones, in the long run, spending more.

jinda

My husband ...

Yes that can be a problem if you see something online and you dont get a chance to see it personally and try it. But there are some instances that you already know what to buy and have tried it personally. So in my case, I am comparing 2 same items but only differs in price.

Back to my post: I said I'm not going to get another quotation but I did receive one from another LBS near me. Total price is almost the same as the 2nd LBS but I have a better vibe on this last one:) There is a bit of language barrier on the 2nd one:confused:

I think I am going with this last one. Although I may not get the shifters from him. I found an XX shifter that is $40 lower than his X.0 price but I'll get the rest of the drivetrain parts from him.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is go to the store that has what you want, try it on, check it out, ask 1000 questions and THEN leave and go buy it online.

HumanVise

It's your money , your wallet , your time put at work to make the money , and your choice . Order from where YOU want to order from . Every place will have a different price . When you have your own business you take a risk , I own a pizzeria , someone people will buy pizza elsewhere cuz it's cheaper , doesn't bother me cuz I have my own steady clients that come back for more then just the price service etc .. Its all part of the business industry , no way I can sell my pizzas as cheap as dominos does , my doors would be shut .

Where's your pizzeria?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Honestly, I think the best thing to do is go to the store that has what you want, try it on, check it out, ask 1000 questions and THEN leave and go buy it online.

I've done that with winter jackets and running sneakers. I wouldn't do that to a bike shop because I truly love the bike industry and do what I can to support the whole community, including the little guys. I don't care about big companies like Foot Locker or Macy's so it doesn't bother me to go try on an item then buy it online and save 60%.

I'll admit that I buy 90% of my bike stuff online too but that's because, A. It's all high end and many mom and pop shops don't carry these items and/or are not familiar with them --or-- B. I want to save a good chunk of cash and install them myself because I like to work on my own stuff.

But bike shops deserve our support too. I have bought my wife's bike, my sons tricycle, several bike helmets, even a bike for my mom and about 500 tubes from various shops. I've easily purchased $5,000 worth of merchandise over the last 10 years. I'll probably spend that much more as my kids get older and want new bikes (at least I hope they are into biking :)).

Don't feel obligated to spend your hard earned cash at some shop because a bunch of people on the internet are guilting you into it. Spend your money at a shop because you like the people that work there and they give you great service when you need it.

walter

Fourth Party
every friggin pizza place I deal with complains about prices and how much their supplies cost, yet all of them have a BMW/Mercedes/Bugatti in the parking lot.

Boycott everything!

aedubber

every friggin pizza place I deal with complains about prices and how much their supplies cost, yet all of them have a BMW/Mercedes/Bugatti in the parking lot.

Boycott everything!

LOL :D only one I'm missing is the bugatti , haven't had one of those :D

vanvanj

A lot of good things were said here. For me personally I support my local bike shops as I am good friends with several owners in the area. BUT when I am searching for used or replacement parts for my roadie or mountain goat I am more likely to buy online via eBay as I have paypal money already in there as I buy/sell. I have bought brand new bikes at the LBS, paid fair market value but places like bikesdirect/bikeisland make it hard to justify buying at a bike shop. I get pretty good deals at some shops from them knowing me and whatnot and the advantage to me of shopping at the LBS compared to online is the interaction, the face to face interaction makes it for me, its awesome sparking up bike related and non bike related conversation with the mechanics and owners. You don't get that online unless you get positive feedback:)

Pat

A lot of good things were said here. For me personally I support my local bike shops as I am good friends with several owners in the area. BUT when I am searching for used or replacement parts for my roadie or mountain goat I am more likely to buy online via eBay as I have paypal money already in there as I buy/sell. I have bought brand new bikes at the LBS, paid fair market value but places like bikesdirect/bikeisland make it hard to justify buying at a bike shop. I get pretty good deals at some shops from them knowing me and whatnot and the advantage to me of shopping at the LBS compared to online is the interaction, the face to face interaction makes it for me, its awesome sparking up bike related and non bike related conversation with the mechanics and owners. You don't get that online unless you get positive feedback:)

Interesting.

gtluke

The Moped
West Orange in the Essex Green Shopping Center .

WHAT
Why wasn't I informed of this earlier? I would have been pizzaing my face from your place.
My buddy used to work at the pizzaria there about 15 years ago and I worked at the old movie theater.

Now I just moved out of that area last week!
I'll still stop by and eat pizza though.

aedubber

WHAT
Why wasn't I informed of this earlier? I would have been pizzaing my face from your place.
My buddy used to work at the pizzaria there about 15 years ago and I worked at the old movie theater.

Now I just moved out of that area last week!
I'll still stop by and eat pizza though.

Yea the shopping center is different now, they changed the movie theatre up as well . I think at that time a guy named Angelo owned it .

Top Bottom