Last Chance for Glory!

NJMX835

Who's headng to to Platty this weekend?

Not sure if I'm going to race it, but I'm definitly going up to ride.

Snow should be completely melted & the trails in good shape by Saturday.

Last weekend of the year! :getsome:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Mucho hand pain riding the groomed crap at diablo, I cant imaging holding on up there. I will wait for next year, have fun.

dhsean

Platty is steeper and harder on the brakes but is a lot less chattery than Diablo. I find it a little easier on the body. I will be up on Sunday to race. I say "go" you will be jonesen all winter to ride DH till May next year.

dhsean

NY State Champion!

The snow melted and the course was rerouted to include some classic Plattekill trails starting out on the North face and going across the mountain to the triple chair side.

I went up Sunday morning hooked up with my friend to show me the ninja lines and how fast I needed to go and finished up 5 practice runs. It was sloppy and wet but not too bad. You get used to the Plattekill drift after a couple years. I put down a conservative clean run and managed to take 2nd place. With the race being double points it bumped me up for the series and I took first place for the series to become NY State DH Champion EXP 30-39. Woohoo! A great end to a season that started off rough. Let's bring on next season! :getsome:

don

With the race being double points it bumped me up for the series and I took first place for the series to become NY State DH Champion EXP 30-39. Woohoo! A great end to a season that started off rough. Let's bring on next season! :getsome:

Congrats! State Champ in 30-39 Expert is quite an accomplishment.

sixseven

Wowsa that is cool. Hey I was wondering what kind of times people turn in on these races...I know it depends on the course/rider but is there a general time that most DH races run? Or is it widely varying from place to place?

dhsean

Thanks a lot guys. I have been trying for this one for about 3 seasons. It was a long battle.

A typical DH race is 3-4 minutes long. I built a course 2 years ago at Plattekill that was 5+ minutes and everybody wanted me dead. Whiteface has a race that is 7+ minutes and some races at Diablo can get as short as 2+ minutes.

I'm drinking a beer right now (Weyerbacher Winter Ale). I had a beer in hand shortly after my race run as well. MTB and beer is like peanut butter and jelly. It is part of the training. :D

NJMX835

Congrats man, good job!

I got 2nd in Sport 30-39, 7 seconds out of first.

I'll take it, it puts me close enough to where I want to be that I can get there with a winter of training hard.

Sport course was decent, horribly slow & pedally in the middle though, would rather have raced the pro\expert course.

Didn't go up Saturday because of the weather, did about 5 practice runs Sunday morning, my race run & a couple fun runs afterwards to cap off the year.

Started getting COLD at the end of the day & the chairlift rides were getting not so fun after a while (freezing my soaking wet feet) so I knocked it off & kicked back by the fire in the lodge :D

dhsean

Good job! I think my friend Jim took 1st. He says he is gunning for me next year.

The top section was a pretty long sloggy pedal fest on the expert course as well. I wanted to throw-up by the time I made it to the next single track techy section. It did get cold fast.

Come out with the guns blazing next year! :getsome:

NJMX835

Thanks man, going to be training hard this winter :getsome:

Drop me a line on here if you ever want to do a ride, I'm trying to pack all the XC I can in before there's too much snow.

Ian F

Good job! Riding at Plattekill is the only thing I miss about DH racing. Soooo much better than Diablo... :rolleyes:

Plattekill + wet = awesome (if a bit cold and mucky).

Diablo + wet = death.

I remember doing a November race at Plattekill in 1999 and there was 2" of snow on the course for the first practice runs Sunday morning... yet traction was still great.

Top Bottom