Lance Armstrong Was Wrong

5/1/21 Six crash update: I actually rode the recumbent bike in PT for all of 8 minutes per session three times. Doc took it away as he felt that we needed to dial the PT back a bit. Now trying to get an answer from doc as to whether or not I am good to go back on the recumbent or upright bike and go swimming....Looking forward to coming back....probably go ride the tarmac bike path at Mercer first few times, go to Estell in the Fall for starts to see how that works, if everything is good go to Mercer on the trails, if I feel ok maybe come back to Six in the Spring...it takes about a year or so to completely heal trimal fractures and I lost a lot of mobility in my ankle. I also lost a lot of muscle mass. I have a lot of hardware. I don't feel like undoing in 3 minutes what took doc 3 hours in the OR to fix. We'll see. Lance Armstrong was wrong, by the way, by saying it isn't about the bike. Sometimes it's everything. BTW...doc and staff are learning all about 'the least patient user in the month of October' You nailed it, Norm.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Not sure who you're using, but you might want to find a Dr. who regularly deals with athletes. They tend to have a better understanding of patients with no patience.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Patience!!!!

you will be back. work the upper body!

Fire Lord Jim

I had a trimalleolar fracture which is broken ankle, foot and leg. I have screws on the inside, a plate on the outside. It took me years before I could do roadie ankling. My foot was screwed back on pointing somewhat outward, and clipping into pedals caused me a lot of knee pain until I shimmed the cleats under the shoe. For what it's worth, I think I ride better than I did before the three surgeries. Hang in there. Life gets better.

one piece crank

Are your Physical Therapists any good?

I broke my fibula in March, got the hardware upgrade - still less severe than your fracture. My first words to the Dr were, I have the X-Games in July (establish impatience)! So I follow the Dr's orders to the "T" and as soon as he said PT I was there. Then with the OK to resume moderate activity, I consulted my two PT's on what's going on and the way forward. Currently SS'ing 6-miles/day, really moderate country roads.

You have the right idea to not undo your progress. Hang in there....

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions