lance armstrong to enter the leadville 100

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
MTB guys can be spanked by roadies. last year at the 24hrs of allamuchy, mens solo elite was won by a van dessel rider, doing his first ever mountain bike ride, on a SS. he did a lap more than the closest riders.

xc62701

There's a good chance of him getting spanked by a few riders. Although he has proven himself on the road, there's many that have proven themselves on the leadville course giving them an edge and being much more skilled on the mtb. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get beat by a few although he should be up there in the ranks.

clutch

MTB guys can be spanked by roadies. last year at the 24hrs of allamuchy, mens solo elite was won by a van dessel rider, doing his first ever mountain bike ride, on a SS. he did a lap more than the closest riders.

Please tell me that you meant race, not ride. I can see how winning a race in the end comes down to who is in the best shape, but I would think the trails at Muchy require a bit of technical skill as well.

xc62701

Yea that guy was just a glutton. He stayed out there longer than everyone else. All the guys he beat, including myself, took time out to sleep while he went the entire time. Him 11 laps - 2nd, 3rd, 4th(myself) 10 laps. He played the right strategy and won. I know I personally cracked as I was ready to quit at midnight and after 4 - 5 hours of sleep I started up again. That was my mistake.

On any given day - who knows...

BiknBen

LA has proven himself as an all-around rider. This won't be his first MTB race. I don't recall if he's done any of this length though. Then again, riding 3000KM through France will qualify you as an endurance racer. :rolleyes:

He's in CO training at altitude for the event. I think that is a pretty serious indicator that he plans to attend.

http://beta.velonews.com/article/81072/paper-lance-armstrong-registered-for-leadville-100

http://beta.velonews.com/article/81301/lance-armstrong-is-riding-a-tricked-out-23-pound-full

crashcanipe

Unless Lance has been training hard, he will get beat

I'm a Lance fan but also know Leadville having done it twice. Dave Wiens, who beat Floyd last year, will most likely win again. Floyd could have very well won but I believe he was in better condition than Lance is now.

Then again, what do I know, I would finish 4 hours behind any of them.
Barry

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Lance DNF'd in the Texas endurance race he did earlier this year. I hear he's training hard for this, but it'll be tough. Interesting to see he's chosen a dualie. Weins went with a hardtail last year and I don't think Landis has ever even sat on a dualie.

crashcanipe

Lance's choice of bike

I'm surprised by Lance's choice of a dualie as well. The Leadville course is very smooth, you could almost do it on a cycle cross bike (almost). It is the perfect course for a softtail design like the Moots YBB - you will see a ton of them out there.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Wish I could be there to see it.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
Please tell me that you meant race, not ride. I can see how winning a race in the end comes down to who is in the best shape, but I would think the trails at Muchy require a bit of technical skill as well.

yes im talking about racing

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
The Velonews article does say that he's testing both that full suspension Trek AND the Fisher Superfly 29er. My money's on him racing the Superfly, although I'm sure Trek would rather him ride the Fuel. While they say he's settled on the Trek, he's been known to change his mind... ;)

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
yes im talking about racing

I'm pretty sure it was his first time riding an MTB as well. Gui is a track and road racer, he was on a demo SS Jersey Devil last year. The Van Dessel rep stayed at our camp last year and that was the word on the street:hmmm:

-Jim.

RNG1

I remember a long time ago 10+ yrs when Ned Overend was still winning everything along with JT and Lance had shown up for a few of the Nationals. He had blown everyone away for the first lap but could not sustain it.

keithsly

Yea that guy was just a glutton. He stayed out there longer than everyone else.

On any given day - who knows...

The "Glutton" is just so you guys know is Gui Nelessen. I train with him and the other guys from Hunterdon Velo a.k.a Van Dessel boys.... Gui so you all know is a little bit more of a Glutton he is actually quite a talented rider and has been on the Podium with Stuart O'Grady down in Tasmania. And is a well respected Track Rider.

Gui would have beaten anyone from the "Local" pool of talent whom decided to show up that day.

Road racing believe it or not is much more difficult than MTB racing once you get to Gui's level. I have raced both the NJ MTB Series from back in the day (up to and Expert level now....) and now compete in the NJ Road Series and they are both difficult but placing in a Road Race over a MTB race much easier for an MTB Race. Maybe just my perception because I guess my talents lend my skills better for TTing... Long way of saying GUI rules all !! Bow down to his greatness and don't call him a Glutten !!

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
Staying out that long in those weather conditions still sounds like a Glutton (for punishment) to me

Top Bottom