Lake Topanemus, Freehold

Minotaur

Anyone ever ride it or know how to get a trail map? I can't seem to find any trail map, yet I've seen reviews and descriptions of the park. The descriptions I've read say the park has some single track and ups and downs. But I didn't find them. and the park isn't that big. I went there this morning and could only find the marked and clearly visible cinder trails. I got a nice little workout... but it was more like a road ride or a ride in the park, and I was a little disappointed. Anyway, I may go back there next weekend to do some more exploring. But I was hoping that someone might know a little more.

NJ Jess

hate to break it to you

But what you saw is what ya got. it truely is an afterwork ride to spin out the legs. It's so flat and without logstacles that I would only reccomend this place for a cyclocross race. Totally not worth the ride.

Why haven't you tried Tatum Park,...far more trails, closer, and actually fun. They have a beginner/sport mtb race in Oct. (Experts wouldn't waste their time)

Minotaur

Thanks Jess. I appreciate the "review". :)

Tatum is on my list of parks. I'm working my way through the Monmouth County Park system. Maybe I'll do Tatum next week instead of another shot at Topanemus. When I want to do a flat spin I'll do Manasquan Reservoir... 5 miles around once. It was a nice ride around a couple of times.

Last edited:

Minotaur

Well, I finally found the single track that JSTS claims exists on the south side of the lake. It is pretty hard to find. The trailhead is off a side street off Lake Ave. off Robertsvile Rd. :rolleyes: The trail is a very short loop that is not maintained very well. I don't think anyone really uses it very often. The logs spoken of are really downed trees. Not jumpable at all. But I actually got a good workout.

Top Bottom