Lake Placid

beaner

I'm headed up to Lake Placid today to watch a group of friends compete in the Ironman. I'm going to bring my mt bike and wanted to know if anyone has ridden XC trails in the area. I'll be with one other person so hopefully we wont' get too lost. I hear there is good riding on Whiteface, curious to see what else is in the area.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IIRC, I seem to remember many people saying that it's a road bike friendly area, not so much a mtn bike friendly area.

IIRC is subject to my failing memory though.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Try DH at Whiteface. Awesome. http://www.downhillmike.com/
There is some single track XC at the bottom of white face, also some trails around Lake Placid. You can check on the Bike Shop there, High Peaks I think.
Or stop at Keene Valley , Leepoff Cycles and ask for guidance. Talk to Mark there. I hear there are new MTB trails at Mt. Van Hoevenburg which are supposed to be really cool.

beaner

Thanks guys. Yes, very roadie friendly but there were a few trails around too. I didn't DH as i'm too worried about breaking a bone. There are some technical trails (loggers and the flume) as well as a really fun little 2 mile loop with some great flowy sections (Henry's Woods). I plan on heading back there and will post if i find more fun trails.

jayres6

I've been to LP several times. Given the area, you'd think there would be amazing mountain biking, but it's actually quite limited. I know there are a lot of trails, but a lot of them are "technically illegal", so the locals won't advertise them. I did an Xterra race a few years ago up there, and a good portion of the course was on private land I think, and the trails were brand new so they were super slow. Like riding in 3 inch deep mulch.

There are some good trails on Mt. Van Hovenberg (sp?), and there is the jackrabbit trail that connects to a few others...but I don't really know them at all.

Apparently the appalachia conservation org (not the official name...I don't know what it's called) is paranoid about building trails and destroying the natural beauty of the area. If trail building could get started in a sustainable, smart way, LP could become super epic, like parts of vermont are today. you could ride forever up there...

for now, I'd reccomend taking your road bike. the iron man loop is pretty sweet, includeing about 9 miles of descending out of town, and 11 miles of climbing from the base of white face back up to LP. Mirror lake is great for swimming and chilling on the beach after long rides...

Dirtdog

I guess its going to be crowded up there.My son is playing in the can am rugby championships largest tournament in the world.Hope they don't run out of beer!

beaner

Digging up an old thread as I was just up there this past weekend training and found some super-fun riding. I checked w/ the guys at placid planet and was directed to some great trails behind the golf course near at the top of "papa bear." The entry to the trail is directly across from Northwood Rd. Continue riding passed the tees (respecting anyone that may be teeing off by pausing). Continue riding down the trail, which eventually opens up into gravel until you come to a fork, keep left. You'll eventually run into an intersection. Right takes you to the old xterra course "Algonquin" trail as well as to a fun little single track called "flying wasp".

Algonquin is a beginner friendly trail with some good climbs and fast descents through open fields. Flying Wasp is tighter singletrack (like allaire) with good flow. It basically cuts across algonquin.

Back to the intersection...straight takes you to Loggers; a very technical, windy, rooty and somewhat rocky singletrack loop. If you're not a technical rider you will HATE this trail. I liked it, my friend hated it as she was constantly dismounting.

Left at the intersection takes you to the Caddyshack trails. Ride up the gravel road a bit and take a right before hitting the golf course again. All trails are named after lines in caddyshack ("night putting," "varmint cong," "ty's ties" etc) and are fun, flowing, windy, tight singletrack. Had I found these trails first we would've spent all day back here.

I believe there are around 20+miles of trails behind the golf course. You can purchase a map from Barkeaters.org for $35 if you feel more comfortable with direction.

Hope that helps anyone heading up there this summer. If you have any questions about those trails ask the guys at placid planet as they are very knowledgeable and are willing to share information. You can also PM me and i'll try to help ya out.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Reviving a long dormant thread.

Heading up to lake placid next weekend. How's the trails up there? Any new ones?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How's the trails up there? Any new ones?

Way much better than 2011, I believe.

Probably some new ones in the last 10 years. I have ridden there a few times but I am by no means an expert.

@JDurk and @KenS would know better than I for sure. I am sure there are others.

JDurk

Definitely some other newer threads discussing LP area trails on the forum. Link to the local trail org with info.

Been a few years, so maybe some newer stuff has been built.Rode the Lussi and Logger Trails and Craig Wood in Lake Placid. Also rode the Poor man's DH into the Flume Trails in Wilmington. The LP trails are less tech than the Wilmington trails. Craig Wood has some flow trails. Didn't ride the Hardy Rd trails of Wilmington, but @KenS did. We were all on FS bikes.

Top Bottom