lackawana hike pix

anrothar

entirely thrilled
went for a short hike today with my sister, brother in law and nephew. we checked out the roseville tunnel on the lackawanna cutoff. here's some photos:

2465515336_32f062fbd8.jpg

2464684243_27372a0843.jpg

2465516176_41b2b83d5e.jpg

2465517642_ba08117981.jpg

2464688589_19e9c6bc0b.jpg

more coming...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
thankfully no. the only wildlife we saw were squirrels, bass, frogs and deer.

Last edited:

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean you take some really incredible pics, thanks for posting.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
My kids would adopt you for an Uncle in a minute. . . is it easy to get there? The gang would love it & so would I

really easy to get to. we parked a little further away to mae a hike out of it, but you could park almost right on top of the tunnel, at byram park. i'll link it below. just walk out the north side of the park, around the fence, and you'll be on top of it. you wont be able to get down on the left side(west end), so once you've explored the top, just head back to the west side and follow the 4-wheeler trail that brings you around the north side and down to the east entrance. there's alot to see on the top though. they had originally intended to make it a cut, but were running into soil stability issues i think, so scrapped that in favor of a tunnel. some mining occurred in the area too, and you can find molten iron slag and several pits on top and along the trail. bring flashlights.

byram park on google maps

we had parked closer to amity rd on roseville, in a little turnoff right by the old railbed.

J

Jeff

Ahhh, my childhood stomping ground! That tunnel is magnificent in the winter time, when the massive ice pillars and icicles grow up and down. It actually looks pretty unobstructed in those pictures- I remember it as always being full of clutter and hobos.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ahhh the "ice tunnel" I used to love to ride that section leading up to the tunnel on my MX bike to practice whoops.

supermike

I thought the state purchased the cut off back from a private owner about a decade ago to put in a new NJT rail line. I guess it never got off the ground after the acquisition. This is the same line that goes from that big concrete bridge over the Deleware by Route 80, right?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is the same line that goes from that big concrete bridge over the Deleware by Route 80, right?

Yes it is.

NJ transit did a study in 2004 in which they determined that it would cost about 350million to rehab the line. So far as I know, they do not have the funding yet. Who knows if/when they will.

Top Bottom