Labor cost for building new wheelset?

stoked

I am thinking of either buying a pre-built wheelset or getting the parts and having a qualified wheelbuilder to finish it. What is average labor cost for building disc wheelset?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I am thinking of either buying a pre-built wheelset or getting the parts and having a qualified wheelbuilder to finish it. What is average labor cost for building disc wheelset?

I think the last time I had a set built it was $35/wheel (excluding spokes, nipples, etc.). Overall I think it was $60/wheel + hub + hoop.

Generally, it is probably cheaper to buy pre-built especially if you are considering a "lower end" wheelset. I just bought a set of Mavic 317/XT m756 hubbed disk wheels for my son's bike for $150 pre-built ($170 w/shipping). If I bought the exact parts mail-order, it'd be $170+ for just the hoops and hubs...it would've been $300 to have the exact same wheelset built.

The higher end you get the % difference shrinks a lot and knowing the reputation of the builder and getting the "first line" support for the wheels becomes worth it, IMO. When you're talking $800 wheelsets, having a known quantity such as John at Cycle Works build your wheels is worth the price delta. My Mavic 819/CK set have proven to be bullet proof banging off rocks w/my 200lb carcass aboard...6 months of riding and I still don't need to take them in for their first truing (which would be free, btw).

stoked

Thanks for info. I am going for a high end wheelset. I was thinking of getting something stock from Stans notubes but decided to have it done my way locally. I was considering Tune or DT240s hubs but they are way too expensive. I am considering American Classic 135 and 225 hubs with Stans ZTR rims w/32H.

Any suggestions on spokes and 2x or 3x cross? I weigh 180lbs with camelback and gear.

Top Bottom