KSVP (holy trees batman)

BAIN

Anyways, did about a hour and half ride through there today. Place was pretty much wet except for the higher lines. Many, Many trees down. In the loops off of the railbed, the lower trail under the tower that leads around the hunter cabin out to the corn field has a couple. Somebody is cutting a new trail off of the railbed on your way to the singletrack that has plenty of trees down, but I will be interested in riding it when it is clean. Major tree down on the short climb over by the bulldog section. The loops off of the red tail are in great condition. Huuuuuuuuuuuge tree down at the end of the red trail by the gravel road. Soooo big that when I was in the middle of climbing through it I couldn't see the trail on either side. Busted a left on to the gravel and a quick right to climb abd go over the ledge. Tree down right after the log hump, right before the only climb on that trail. Crossed over the road again and did the quick rocky section, which was clean. Went behind the house and messed around on the rear entrance to the switchback and took that all around back to the main parking lot. Called it a day.

Had a lot of fun, sweated like a mofo and can't wait to do some Guinness later this evening. Only saw to other folks, they passed me in the parking lot and headed up to the switchback. One guy my age and another with a full grey beard. If you are on here then hello guys, I hope you enjoyed your ride. That switch was pretty wet and chewed!

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
That would be me (the beard-less one).

There were ALOT of trees down...the trails were a little worse than I thought they were going to be, but of course, the higher you climbed, the drier they were: ie.- the trails on top of the switchback were bone-dry.

Headed over to Sheridan's post-ride.

Last edited:

Spylab

On my 1.5 hour ride, I had to dismount and climb over downed trees on eight occasions. I wasn't keeping track of trail location, but I do recall that a section of the blue trail had a 2-1/2 foot diameter pine down which was tricky to get around. I haven't ridden KVSP since the end of 07; wonder if these have been down for a while.

xc62701

I was there yesterday and a few of these trees are there but they are getting all cleaned up. I think I can recall having to divert around 4 downed trees and I saw many cut up on the sides of the roads/trails. So progress is being made...

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
A bunch of us rode there yesterday after work and did some trail maintenance. We were able to cut off the branches off fallen trees so we can at least carry our bikes over. Overall it wasn't that bad.

xc62701

Sweet! I never saw you guys but I was wondering if I'd see you. I was all over the place. I did the nice hike a bike over the nice furry tree top and worked around the others. It was all pretty nice.

DownhillR3

Thanks for the update guys. Tomorrow looks to be a wash, so the gameplan is to get there Friday morning and do a good long mud ride. Out of all the times i've been there, I never actually did the entire park, i have not done the trail on the opposite side of the road which leads up to that tower. Well friday I will be testing my new GPS system so i want too cover the entire park. If anyone's going, let me know.

ryderX

It will be a MAJOR mud march. After spending 5 hours doing TM there on Saturday with 10 other people maybe a nice road ride would be a better option.
Just a thought.:hmmm:

BAIN

Conditions should be fine! Enjoy cardio hill (tower), make sure you do it right to left, you will thank me after your ride!

rayder

I think we're gonna hit the tourne

my girlfriend races beginner I'm a sport (not a very competetive one unfortunately) wouldn't want to hold you up. Also we have to wash the mud off our bikes from our ride at round valley last weekend so 10:00 am may be difficult. But one of these days we're gonna go ride with someone from this site. That was my intention but I seem to have not been able to get it done as of yet.

DownhillR3

No worries, i'm a sport racer as well. One of these days you'll meet up for a ride with someone from this site. Maybe another time, it's only March 20, season's just starting.

DD-

It will be a MAJOR mud march. After spending 5 hours doing TM there on Saturday with 10 other people maybe a nice road ride would be a better option.
Just a thought.:hmmm:

Good thought RyderX- with another inch of rain yesterday, KVSP will be very muddy today. Road riding is definately a better option until the trails dry out.

DownhillR3

Conditions should be fine! Enjoy cardio hill (tower), make sure you do it right to left, you will thank me after your ride!

Conditions were great. As I got there, I forgot which way you mentioned. I saw yellow so I took that since i knew it went in the direction of the tower. Low & behold, I found that was the steep way. I took yellow all the way up to the tower and about 100ft. from the top it turned to Red markers and then red markers went down the right side. So i went up the left side instead of right, OOPS. But it was worth going back down, that yellow section from the tower to the bottom would make a sweet run on a DH bike. Where does the red side start from the base to climb to the tower?

Top Bottom