Knee/Shin guard suggestions

Stocky

I'll need to keep my recent wound protected for a while .( That would be the nasty gash just below my knee that required 6 stitches to close) I have the 661 Veggie shin guards that I had been using when I was riding my platforms.

They make a 661 Veggie Knee pad that velcro's to the shin guard.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a solid type of knee/shin guard ala my hockey shin guards..

I wanted to know if anyone was riding with this style and what your likes and dislikes are.

thanks,
Stocky

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
I just recently got Fox Launch pads. I wore them when I rented them at Diablo last year and the were pretty comfy. I plan to go to Diablo more this year so I picked up a pair of my own. Haven't rode anywhere with them that requires more pedaling yet though so they could get annoying, but based on my experience with them from Diablo, they were fine pedaling or not.

djm

I just ordered some lizard skin knee/shin guards from pricepoint. Mtbr gave them good reviews. Should have more feedback by next weekend.

pinkshirtphotos

I just recently got Fox Launch pads. I wore them when I rented them at Diablo last year and the were pretty comfy. I plan to go to Diablo more this year so I picked up a pair of my own. Haven't rode anywhere with them that requires more pedaling yet though so they could get annoying, but based on my experience with them from Diablo, they were fine pedaling or not.

I have had mine for several seasons, still use them time to time. In 2006 I had a pretty nasty crash at diablow and purchased the fox launch pads. If I was smart I would ride with them all the time so I never screw up my already screwed up knees but im not. :p

idbrian

Crotch Rot
From my own research the Roach / Race Face will be the most recommended. Unless there are some new players in the game. And the Fox will be the second most recommended. I have the Race Face pads and they are pretty solid. My friend recently got the Fox Launch and they cover the knee and 2/3rds of the shin. On top of not having to cover the entire shin they look very breathable. I'm happy with my pads but i think if i were to make the decision now i would have gone with the Fox. I do believe the Race Face pads are cheaper. You can get shin and elbow/forearm pads for about $100.

lilbuj

661 Race Lights

I have the 661 Race light knee/shin guards. I have only worn them at Diablo. But as said before they are fine pedaling or not. I find them more comfortable than the Fox ones I rented at Diablo the first time I went.

spindoctor

Shop: Allendale Cycle
Shop Keep
I ride the 661 4x4 and love them. I also used to play hockey and they are very similar to shinpads. Easy to get used to and super comfortable after broken in.

hagerfoot

what about for kids?

Don't mean to hijack any recommendations for adults, but I was thinking of getting a pair of shin/knee pads for my son. He just started riding (he's 5) and when he stops he tends to hit his shin/knees into his pedals (which are metal...I know I can change them out). Anyone have any experience with kid's knee/shin guards?

Thanks.

Judge Smails

I've got a pair of Fox 911 knee/shin combo guards. They are about 4 years old but still going strong. I use them pretty much everywhere except Lewis Morris. All it took was one season of banging my knee and shin to get smart.

To tell you the truth, I don't find them too hot or uncomfortable. They actually give me more confidence when I'm riding because I know that I can take a fall and not suffer too much.

Stocky

I've got a pair of Fox 911 knee/shin combo guards. They are about 4 years old but still going strong. I use them pretty much everywhere except Lewis Morris. All it took was one season of banging my knee and shin to get smart.

To tell you the truth, I don't find them too hot or uncomfortable. They actually give me more confidence when I'm riding because I know that I can take a fall and not suffer too much.

Judge, I wanted to thank you for getting me that Caddy Scholarship, I do appreciate it.

As far as the confidence goes, I play ice hockey and when I'm all suited up I'm pretty fearless out there. So I completely understand where you're coming from.

Judge Smails

Judge, I wanted to thank you for getting me that Caddy Scholarship, I do appreciate it.

As far as the confidence goes, I play ice hockey and when I'm all suited up I'm pretty fearless out there. So I completely understand where you're coming from.

I've sent boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it, felt I owed it to them.

one piece crank

Back to pads, does anyone know what band these arm/elbow pads are?

Arm.JPG

Tom P.

R0B

I run some older 661 knee/shin guards. I'd give ya the model but its no where to be found. These go all the way down to my shoe the don't skimp out on the bottom half of my shin if you know what I mean. Pretty heavy duty - work well for Diablo.

one piece crank

I picked-up a set of Race Face Rally FR arm guards. They are pretty similar to the one pictured above.

Still un-decided what I'll do for knee/shin protection. Something soft like the Kyle Strait is appealing, but I'm more after full protection of the combo knee/shin + hard shell. Then there is pedal-ability...

Tom P.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I picked-up a set of Race Face Rally FR arm guards. They are pretty similar to the one pictured above.

Still un-decided what I'll do for knee/shin protection. Something soft like the Kyle Strait is appealing, but I'm more after full protection of the combo knee/shin + hard shell. Then there is pedal-ability...

Tom P.

I've had both. Just recently sold my Raceface Roach knee/shin combo to someone here. Now I'm riding the Kyle Strait. The only complaint i have about the Kyle Strait is it gets kind of hot inside and sweaty, there is no ventilation holes.

The full Roach knee/shin guard was actually cooler because it had good ventilation and you can actually feel the wind going through them. Maybe it was just because I was riding them in cooler weather, but I don't think so .. I think are cooler. They are also bigger and more clunky .. but after a while you don't really notice them.

I am still happy wearing the Kyle Strait. They have saved me more than 2 times. Btw the Kyle Strait has a plastic knee cap inside the fabric .. so it protects the knee pretty well.

Top Bottom