Knee pads recommendations

grampaaah2

Lost a bunch of knee skin last week from a fall. Looking for recommendations for knee pads that wont slip (sweaty dude) and aren't to bulky as I mostly ride XC trails (Allaire, clayton, 6 Mile)

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My standard answer is usually G-Form. They have a few different styles to choose from, pretty light and flexible for pedaling... and there's also a repair kit for the inevitable fabric tear you will get doing something stupid.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I used to use G-Form. Although they fit fine and comfortable, they don't breath as well as I'd like so I've switched to Leatt Airflex. They're just as comfortable and as the name implies, it breaths really well.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to use G-Form. Although they fit fine and comfortable, they don't breath as well as I'd like so I've switched to Leatt Airflex. They're just as comfortable and as the name implies, it breaths really well.

we had some friends stay with us recently and that's what they had... but they carried them in their backpacks until we got to the downhill sections. admittedly tho, we have miles of climbing to do first (as opposed to up/down/up/down)

Cassinonorth

Another vote for Leatt airflex. First knee pad that was comfortable enough for a long ride while giving me enough protection.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Having used g-form for years, I’ve recently switched over to the Kali Strike’s. I was skeptical of the comfort at first because they have that pre-bent knee (and elbow as well) shape. They stay put and are totally comfortable. When you wear them they become even more pliable, mold to your body and all but disappear while pedaling.

F0B332D8-CCD1-4E25-BDCE-513060A69C21.jpeg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this whole thread is going to contradict itself since everyone has different preferences and needs and likes/dislikes

that said i tried a set of gforms and the damn things never stayed put where they needed to be, do not recommend. but if you would like to try a pair id sell my lightly used set fairly cheap, ill check the size if your interesed.

i ended up settling on a set of troy lee pads with velcro top and bottom which stay put better.

Fat Trout

I use the POC vpd air knee pads. I thought they would be clunky and bothersome since they look kind of clunky and bothersome but they stay put and I forget they are there. I've had them a few years now and hold up really good. Every knee pad will make you hot. i did try the G Form but didn't like them. They were really hot and moved around a bit more than I liked.

Rocks & Water

From my moto days my knees got beat bad. Out of all the knee pads I have used the Leatt Airflex are the best for myself. Fat Trout seems like me the G Form did move around a good bit.

iman29

I think we had a whole thread somewhere in here last summer about knee pads related to the ride we did at Nassau?

Prompted me to finally buy some G-form Pro2 knee pads.

I don’t have much issue with them sliding down or comfort but I would admit if it’s hot out they are a little warm (I also run hot ).

I should mention I did get like a little rash across my thighs from the gripper strip but that was for an all day event (cranks around the campfire).

In general I am fine with them I got them on sale off Amazon and I had a gift card so Free99. But I wouldn’t mind trying something else like the Leatt ones mentioned above.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
this whole thread is going to contradict itself since everyone has different preferences and needs and likes/dislikes

that said i tried a set of gforms and the damn things never stayed put where they needed to be, do not recommend. but if you would like to try a pair id sell my lightly used set fairly cheap, ill check the size if your interesed.

i ended up settling on a set of troy lee pads with velcro top and bottom which stay put better.
Or hasn't tried multiple types. It's the same thing in any advise thread. "Hey I use XXX so you should too. I've never tried anything else to compare it to."

I want the advise of someone like @Ryan.P that I'm sure has gone off the deep end and has an entire closet of knee pads.

@grampaaah2 You may also want to review the shootout style tests so you can see differences in different pads. For instance: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-trail-knee-pads/

And whatever you decide on, for the sake of god please wash them.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want the advise of someone like @Ryan.P that I'm sure has gone off the deep end and has an entire closet of knee pads.
Lol . This is one area that I just don't care much about or put much thought into. I think I settled on fox enduro knee pads , very minimal , there comfortable and fit me well . Half my dh laps last year were done wearing zero pads lol . It was a pretty hot summer

dmc123

I would recommend the Leatt Airflex Pro, I'm actually on my third pair and use them on almost every ride. They are light weight and offer just enough protection without being too hot or bulky. Eventually the elastic gets a bit stretched out and I get another pair. Saved me a lot of pain over the years.

goldsbar

Whatever doesn't slip for **you**. Impossible to tell until you try something. Reviews are only good for ensuring stuff isn't too hot or crap that will fall apart in a month. You're on your own after that.

I have the Kali's and stopped using them because they always slipped, despite getting tons of positive reviews. On the other hand, their elbow guards (I hit my elbows/forearms more often than my knees) work great.

JPark

My #1 requirement for knee pads is that they have zippers (can be put on without removing shoes). Because I always forget to put the pads on first!
I've had the Ion K-pac zip lite for 2 years now and they've been great. They also have a heftier version.
I've had g-form in the past and they were good but... see #1.

pkovo

I always wear knee pads and swap between Raceface Ambush and Raceface Indy knee pads. My daughter wears G-shock and loves them.

The Ambush are full DH pads and overkill for most of my riding, but are still my go to pads. Despite being big and bulky I'm so used to them they really don't bother me on longer rides. They have three Velcro straps, two of which are two way straps and they never slip. No need to remove shoes to put them on or take off and they go off and on in seconds and offer tons of coverage/protection. Doubt they would fit under pants....unless they were MC Hammer style.

The Indy pads are lighter, slide on (must remove shoe) and have one velcro strap. They stay put pretty well are less bulky and more appropriate for most of the riding I do. They provide good protection, but def not same level as the Ambush. Fit under pants if that matters.

My daughter has been using G-shock pads for 3+ years and loves them. I recently bought her a second pair, but the first pair is still in use after 3 years of abuse. She finds them very comfortable, and feels they don't hinder her pedaling at all. She wears them for all her riding and racing, BMX and MTB and has had some pretty ugly wrecks and they have held up The padding is thin though, so she has gotten bruised up through them. Fit under pants super easy.

I would reco any of the above depending on what you are looking for, but the lack of straps on the G-shock would make me nervous for slipping given my leg shape, but they stay put for a lot of people. Popular choice at the BMX track

Top Bottom