Knee pads 2021

Cafe Dave

Well the 7 Sam Hill pads fit and stayed put like a favorite old pair of gloves. These are outstanding fit and protection the down side is they are definitely hotter then the GForm. So as @V-Dub mentioned with the advancement of the fit quality of today's knee pads "why not". Looks like GForms for trail and 7s when it's a spicy ride.

Per example I'm 6ft and you can say thick in stature and ordered XL like everything I wear, LOL! Wouldn't change the size on either set of pads.

I've had the same G-form knee pads for 3.5 years and I'm surprised how well they've held up. Never lost elasticity nor stretched out. Other than a few stray threads that get trimmed, still fits and protects like day 1. Had a few bad landings so they're trail tested. If you're compatible with them, you'll have a dependable set of pads you can rely on for years. Sizing is tricky though. I normally wear MD or LG, but these ran small and ended with XL.. maybe they tweaked the sizing issue since 2017/18 :)

Last edited:

mtn

Just picked these up:

STE.jpg

Initial wearing them around the house thoughts. Very limited protection...I haven't had any major knee shots so this is what I wanted. They're comfortable as all hell though and fit me nice. Should work nice for regular trail riding.
I'd probably return those even if for trail use. Thicker, soft knee pads will do much more for protection.

Cassinonorth

I'd probably return those even if for trail use. Thicker, soft knee pads will do much more for protection.

Eh. I barely need knee pads for my purposes. I've been debating going without the last few rides at all. I've yet to have to test my burlier knee pads so these are the happy medium for me.

Maybe I'll change my tune if I really crash on them. These are coming to Tourne, LewMo, Six mile etc. I'll use my burly ones for the more adventurous days.

Last edited:

iman29

Ok all you G form people my anxiety is high now that I Knee-D these 🤪

so I have these in my Amazon cart with delivery by Friday if I order within 2 hours.
B973BFFC-B26D-4EC3-9FF5-A6B1F5E10D0B.png
EF99AE67-C5DB-483E-9595-0E67494555CD.png

I’m not planning to ever ride any real
Technical trails beyond the level of a NICA course so I think this should be good for that inevitable tip/flop over to not get banged up.

Side chart shows me at a Solid size Large so just need confirmation from the more experienced peeps if this would be good.

Then I can show them off Sunday at Nassau.

thegock

Ok all you G form people my anxiety is high now that I Knee-D these 🤪

so I have these in my Amazon cart with delivery by Friday if I order within 2 hours.

Side chart shows me at a Solid size Large so just need confirmation from the more experienced peeps if this would be good.

Then I can show them off Sunday at Nassau.

FWIW: 6'1" 187.8 lbs. G Form Elite are a solid XL fit

Attachments

• GFORM ELITE PXL_20210526_155210055-01.jpg
    GFORM ELITE PXL_20210526_155210055-01.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 56

Fat Trout

I also have the Fox Enduro sleeves & completely agree. They were great for the first few months but then started to stretch and are now worthless.

Just bought the POC Joint VPD...hoping to have better luck with these.
I have had the POC VPD Air knee pads for the last 3 years. they stay put and fit just as good now as the first ride.

iman29

FWIW: 6'1" 187.8 lbs. G Form Elite are a solid XL fit

We are nearly the same height and weight. just comes down to the thigh and calf measurements.

I checked again and found the wife’s sewing kit with the Flexible tape measure and seems your right probably need XL. Thanks.

Ian F

Tested the Dainese pads yesterday. Two laps at Neshaminy, which has a fair bit of climbing. I definitely never forgot I was wearing them, but in all not too bad. The upper closure is more secure than my old ones, but definitely not as comfortable.
PXL_20210602_212933898.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
haha with USPS its total crap shoot as I am sure it will fly all round the US before it gets here... hoping for the best.

i always cringe when i see USPS as the shipper on anything, iv gone as far as to pay the yearly fee ($20?) for ups my choice so that all my packages are delivered by ups instead of handing off the smart post, now if i could just figure out how to get a similar deal from fedex. . . .

Ian F

I've not had many issues with USPS except for the one eBay sale last year when my package to the seller got lost in the system for a couple of months. It did eventually get to them. Lesson learned: Don't use the smallest box possible to ship the item. I suspect my package (a BMX quill headset lock) literally "fell through a crack" and sat un-noticed until a worker found it and put it back into the chain.

The Dainese pads came via DHL and they are pretty good. You get text messages to do pre-signing and whatnot. They also have a clean system for handling import duties for items shipped from overseas, although that didn't apply in this case.

Ian F

This thread is starting to remind me of full-face XC helmets...
Not surprising. Full-face helmets (XC or otherwise) are even harder to shop for.

I typically don't wear knee pads for local trail riding, but I also didn't want my first experience with new pads to be on a long enduro-ride day at the Fredrick Watershed when if I found them impossible to wear, I'd be screwed since I wouldn't have to same access to my car as I do at Neshaminy.

Ian F

wow, those are super aggro.
I guess... They're similar to my old ones from 2004. They feel a lot more secure, but definitely not as comfortable...
PXL_20210603_133540902.jpg

One advantage of the new ones is they can go on/off without faffing about with shoes, unlike my 2004 model. So if I I know I'm about to start a long transfer climb, I could easily take them off and stuff them into my pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom