Knee pads 2021

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went searching in the fourm and this subject is all over the place. After my event this morning seen here https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/the-unofficial-tour-de-fat.11656/post-1070426
Shamless plug but I figure to keep some skin in the future. I have plenty of hard shell DH park stuff but nothing for enduro bro days. In past the the pads from early years wouldn't have helped much either cuz they would of just slid down. What pads are hip and have helped in your crash story. Another words comfortable to pedal and stay put. Also not annoying AF to baggies.

I went searching in the fourm and this subject is all over the place. After my event this morning seen here https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/the-unofficial-tour-de-fat.11656/post-1070426
Shamless plug but I figure to keep some skin in the future. I have plenty of hard shell DH park stuff but nothing for enduro bro days. In past the the pads from early years wouldn't have helped much either cuz they would of just slid down. What pads are hip and have helped in your crash story. Another words comfortable to pedal and stay put. Also not annoying AF to baggies.

Knee/shin/elbow pads are for wimps - ergo why old man @thegock always wears them.

Manly men wear no pads, bang their knees/shins/elbows when they crash and like it. :popcorn:

I have the Fox Enduro Knee pads. They're alright. Not the most comfortable things, the mesh like material is ripping after a year and they've started to give me irritation above my knees.

So...don't get those.

Big fan of gform here. Comfortable for trail riding and they harden on impact. Size them right and they will stay put. I'm sure the park crowd can weigh in with better advice since I wear mine like 3 times a year, but they have never bothered me to wear and I've often wish I had them on after a similar experience as yours. @V-Dub ??

Heal up fast too, glad it wasn't worse. Losing the front tire like that sucks so bad.

I'll second the nod for Leatt. I dumped my 661's this year and picked up a set of the AirFlex Pros. They're super comfortable.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 9.56.43 PM.png

i cant help much here, but i tried a set of gforms which turned me back off to pads, the elbow pads were fine, but the knee pads just WONT STAY PUT, drives me absoluetly nuts (dont tell me i sized too big bc the smaller size doesnt fit, so thats not the issue)

I ride flats fairly often and like to have some shin protection, so when I wear knee pads, I wear a pair of Dainese knee/shin guards I bought at Whistler back in 2004. I've bought more knee pads than I care to admit since then and while none of them are great to pedal in, the old Dainese ones I seem to "forget" about the easiest. I recently ordered the updated version: https://www.dainese.com/us/en/bike/...91_color=BLACK&cgid=bike-safety-knees#start=1
We'll see how they work when they arrive...

I like the g-form pads.

This is very subjective, what works for one does not always work for another.

I like the g-form because they are light and stay in place. The only time I had an issue with knee pads was in winter, my skin was cold and dry. After about 20 minutes I heated up and they stayed in place.

Pads that are comfortable are the ones you wear. I'd rather go lighter and have something I'll use verse highly protective but bulky and uncomfortable, which I won't wear.

Heal up and feels better. Injuries suck, especially when you need all your body parts in good order to work for a living. 😜

i cant help much here, but i tried a set of gforms which turned me back off to pads, the elbow pads were fine, but the knee pads just WONT STAY PUT, drives me absoluetly nuts (dont tell me i sized too big bc the smaller size doesnt fit, so thats not the issue)
I thonk it has a lor to do with people's calves. Pads without straps of some sort don't work for some folks.

If it's just knee protection I've been wearing POC VPD air for about a year. Lightweight and stay in place.

these are kind of interesting, zip on/zip off instead of pull on, and adjustable grippers. Wonder how hot they would be. . . .

KNEE PADS

As a first year member of the Knights of Nee (the first club Ultimate team in NJ,) I am qualified to give Nee Pad advice. I also ride MTB over 400 hours a year on some rocky trails and am clumsy and fall a lot, including off of a log pile at Chimney Rock on Monday. I was mildly shocked to see @pooriggy with his G Form Elite knee pads at Stephens. I had always thought of him as Yoda, who would just float his way out of trouble.

GFORM ELITE PXL_20210526_155210055-01.jpg

SAMY HILL PXL_20210526_160502464-01.jpg

I rode the G Form Elites today as an experiment, doe I have used them maybe a dozen times. My go to set are the Seven IDP Sam Hill Lites. Both stay up quite nicely, thanks to the tops being tucked under the legs of my chamois, which are armored, btw, and my massive calves---twice the circumference of @rick81721 ‘s little girly meat. The G Form Elites are a bit beefier, but I have worn armor on most rides that are not races since 2013 and mostly every ride since my front wheel washed out at "too easy for armor" Six Mile, so I don’t notice armor anyway and didn’t today.

POC VPD 20 PXL_20210526_155839985-01.jpg

POC VPD AIR PXL_20210526_155226452-01.jpg

I was going through the armor milk crate today and noted that I also have the POC VPD’s, which are DH weight, but I never minded wearing them. Also have the POC VPD 2.0 (and have never worn them, apparently) at about half the size, which are the new edition of the POC VPD AIR. Neither of these latter two work with today’s ride---my 2019 Stumpy ST has a shock air valve that sticks out to the side and clips the side of the knee under these pads, when the seat is dropped in manic rock gardens. All of the POC products are high quality that hold up over time and don’t slide down ever.

The guy I rode with today, who won $2,000 at Mountain Creek one race, wore the Slyteck knee/shin combo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom