Knee and Shin Guards

jimmysnukastyle

Can anyone give me any advice on buying shin and knee guards? I've never seen them in bike stores - not sure if some are very different than others. I saw some guys with them on tonight at Washington Valley. Think it might be a good investment.

Thanks,
Dan

ArmyOfNone

Where are you riding? How much do you fall? No way you crash more than me. Take my word. Unless your down hilling, i dont see the need for em. They are bulky and trap in the heat. My legs dont get as dinged up as much as my upper body.

Spylab

If you do want to go for knee/shin guards, my full recommendation goes to Fox's Launch pads. I bought mine at Campmor in Paramus. They are kind of pricey at around $55.00, but after dealing with a pair of 661s for about six months (velcro unsticking, bottom of pad causing blisters on the top of my feet), I'd say they were worth every penny.

Bear in mind, I only use my leg pads at Diablo and the like. Sort of overkill for stuff like KVSP etc...

jimmysnukastyle

Six Mile & Chimney Rock mostly. A few good falls each outing. I go over the handlebars pretty regularly. I'm not concerned about six mile. I was riding Chimney Rock Saturday and went over my handlebars and landed knee first on a rock - so I had to take Sunday off because my knee was all bashed up. I don't like taking days off.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i don't use any, but will second the fox pads based on friends' reccos. i know a few people that swear by them for downhill/freeride type stuff. as mentioned, campmor has em, and if you're in the mahlon area, rt 15 bicycles has em too.

walter

Fourth Party
I think that 661 makes 2 different kinds. One is like a more freeride-ish kind of pad with a good bit of cushion, the other is more of an xc I think, with a little less padding and more form fitting.

I think, I could be wrong, I dont use pads.

jimmysnukastyle

thats the spirit
I'm going to get the lightweight ones for Chimney Rock - thanks for the help. I'm riding an entry level Gary Fisher hardtail during Season 1 - need to stay in the game.

Sometimes I crash and don't even know that I crashed until the whole charade is totally over - and I'm located in a mangled mess of bike and pricker bushes.

Some of my peeps are orthopedic surgeons.

Spylab

This thread just reminded me that my myriad of bruises and cuts are starting to go away. Looks like I need to step up my game...

Top Bottom