Knee and Shin Guards

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Specialized ones look best - but would like to find a store that sells them and maybe others to try them on instead of buying online.

BIKE N GEAR has them in stock, a least they did last time I was there.

Judge Smails

I have a pair of Fox knee and shin guards that are pretty thick. Yes they are hot when it's 90+ out, but in general they aren't that uncomfortable. There are really only a few places that I don't wear them (Lewis Morris, Hartshorn, etc).

2 weeks ago I was riding the north side of Allamuchy and forgot them - of course I ended up bashing both of my knees (and they still hurt). If you're going to ride aggressive XC then I would encourage you to get a pair - they only need to protect you once for them to pay off in my mind.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I can't believe nobody mentioned the Roach pads.

I recently performed this same search and i went with the most recommended pads out there, the Roach or Race Face FR pads. Roach and Race Face are the same company and pads. It was between them and the Fox Launch, but the Roach ones seemed to be the choice of most riders, especially people who tried both. My main concern really was ventilation. All pads are going to keep you hotter, but they are worth it. My ability to do technical sections has tripled since getting pads. They really add a lot of confidence for your riding. They are like training wheels. Once you are awesome you can ride without them. I used to actually ride Chimney Rock with them but no more. Now i mainly use them for Mooch, Ringwood, and Blue Mountain. It will be a while until i can ween off of them for Blue.

The Roach pads i have are great.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
I used a pair of those lightweight 661 pads for years, and can't believe I suffered that long. Those pads do not stay in place. I was constantly having to pull them back up into place- not fun.

Last summer, I finally broke down and ordered some Raceface FR knee/shin pads, and they are the best I've ever ridden. Form-fitting, very little slippage, great protection, and not too hot. Can't recommend them enough... strong enough for DH, but light enough for trailriding...

J-Dro

I agree with the Roach / Race Face recommendation. They don't slip!! I had a pair of 661's before and I was constantly fiddling with them during the ride cuz they slide down your leg. I've heard similar complaints about Fox pads.

Top Bottom