Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

Are we talking 24" logs in the trails? Or smaller? I realize it is mostly oak and maple so they aren't massive generally.

probably ranging between 12-18” diameter for the most part Some are still a few feet off the ground so it’s difficult to go over or under.

There are some larger logs in places. We are doing our NICA practice there on Sunday. I am hoping to get there early and do a quick run around with the pruners and hand saw. Every little bit helps.

probably ranging between 12-18” diameter for the most part Some are still a few feet off the ground so it’s difficult to go over or under.

Which trails should be prioritized specifically? preferrably ones that aren’t too long and have those elevated trees you speak of.
If I mention a trail with work done on it, will some strong abled person be able to push the logs out of the way? I don’t have a peavy unfortunately

Last edited:
My advice to anyone looking to help would be to bring hand pruners and loppers. I'd say branches are the biggest mess and being able to trim a tunnel with the loppers would be huge.

Last edited:
Rode a bunch of trails today. Great job on getting trails open. My wife and the NICA team did a hike and bike up Nemo. Over Presidents weekend the Warren/Sussex County NICA teams want to do some trail clean up going up Nemo. I will keep the board updated on what does we are going to being there.

We also have a NJ state forestry employee on our coaching staff. So operating a chainsaw for us will be a plus.

Rode a bunch of trails today. Great job on getting trails open. My wife and the NICA team did a hike and bike up Nemo. Over Presidents weekend the Warren/Sussex County NICA teams want to do some trail clean up going up Nemo. I will keep the board updated on what does we are going to being there.

We also have a NJ state forestry employee on our coaching staff. So operating a chainsaw for us will be a plus.
How bad was that trail? Now that the kvsp employees are done clearing all the rail trails (pipeline trails) as of wednesday, they will be starting to clear trails. Seems to me like it’s feasible to clear a couple trails a day per two man crew. Maybe the side to the east of goodale rd isn’t as bad as the west.

Reactions: Ron
How bad was that trail? Now that the kvsp employees are done clearing all the rail trails (pipeline trails) as of wednesday, they will be starting to clear trails. Seems to me like it’s feasible to clear a couple trails a day per two man crew. Maybe the side to the east of goodale rd isn’t as bad as the west.

I did not climb up to the cell tower with them, but was told it was a lot of hiking around stuff. Between road and the lake the trails are really starting to open up. I really just started riding there this year so I do not know the labels for all the trails yet. Between the lot and the airport is really open. The blue and red in that area only has a couple more trees down, but all stuff 8” and down is clear.

I never realized how much fun KVSP is to ride. For the team we ride mostly at KVSP and Stephens.

A little PSA...

All marked trails to the west of Goodale Rd are clear EXCEPT for the very bottom of the yellow downhill coming off blue (not the part next to the lake). Don't bike down that. I made the mistake and it was a miserable climb back up the trail.

Had my little guy working also, 7 y/o. And we had a log that we could not cut, ran out of gas. So we did the next best thing, but we will see how long it lasts.

46712AAA-7D95-43F5-B1BE-47EA4CCA22B2.jpeg
1EF0BEE4-CCF2-4139-BD2B-AB0BAB9A6A86.jpeg

Blue and red trails are clear from the 206 lot by njffs all the way to the park office. Though apparently there is a red connector from the yellow trail to the park office that has not been cleared. I’ve never been on the white or black trails so I’m interested what they are like.

hey all...i'm seeing these updates above on trail conditions here...a few of our local crew was looking at KVSP as a possibility for a ride tomorrow...have things been adequately cleared up? should i bring my 18" silky saw?!

hey all...i'm seeing these updates above on trail conditions here...a few of our local crew was looking at KVSP as a possibility for a ride tomorrow...have things been adequately cleared up? should i bring my 18" silky saw?!

Don't bother bringing the silky saw unless you maybe want to clear up unmarked trails or the intersection of red and yellow next to the gravel road (hemlock trail i think). Currently you are required to dismount and duck.
Also don’t go down yellow from the cell tower. I have yet to finish that mess.

everything else is wide open.

Don't bother bringing the silky saw unless you maybe want to clear up unmarked trails or the intersection of red and yellow next to the gravel road (hemlock trail i think). Currently you are required to dismount and duck.
Also don’t go down yellow from the cell tower. I have yet to finish that mess.

everything else is wide open.
rode KVSP today and we had a BLAST!!! i can't imagine the shape the park was in after whatever it was that hit it (was it a microburst? it looks like a weed whacker lopped off the tops of those huge trees)

and of course, i didn't see this message until just now, so we did ride yellow down from the cell tower (fun trail by the way!)...it wasn't too hard to hike-a-bike around the last of the mess...

thanks for all of the hard work there! totally worth the 1 hour drive from edison!

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 8.12.17 PM.png

rode KVSP today and we had a BLAST!!! i can't imagine the shape the park was in after whatever it was that hit it (was it a microburst? it looks like a weed whacker lopped off the tops of those huge trees)

and of course, i didn't see this message until just now, so we did ride yellow down from the cell tower (fun trail by the way!)...it wasn't too hard to hike-a-bike around the last of the mess...

thanks for all of the hard work there! totally worth the 1 hour drive from edison!

View attachment 120409
Wet snow and ice did the damage

If someone who doesn’t need to make a two hour round trip to go there can possibly finish “mopping up” the bottom of yellow coming down from the cell tower, that’d be great. There is a path through now, but someone with loppers and a hand saw can make it all nice. There are still two Trees lying on the ground there but they are split so even with an axe it wouldn’t be too bad. But for now just don’t go hauling butt down yellow as you’ll probably crash and burn.

Back
Top Bottom