Kittatinny or Stokes?

T

tlnj

Hey all,

If you had a limited number of days in the Sussex area, which of those 2 would you focus on? I'm looking for nice technical single track with some fast, flowy sections and decent climbs.

Wawayanda is 1st on my list, but I want to explore some other places.

Any other info on this area is appreciated.

Thanks!

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Hey all,

If you had a limited number of days in the Sussex area, which of those 2 would you focus on? I'm looking for nice technical single track with some fast, flowy sections and decent climbs.

Wawayanda is 1st on my list, but I want to explore some other places.

Any other info on this area is appreciated.

Thanks!

Kittatinny is not really technical, just fun. Fast flowy singletrack with some good climbs. It is a good place to ride and not get lost. :)

Allamuchy! I know it wasn't on your list, but it is a great place to ride. If you can find a person to show you this park, this is the one I recommend. I wouldn't recommend a solo ride in there for you.

If you want some other technical singletrack, try Mahlon Dickerson. There are usually maps available for Mahlon at the Kiosks. If not, there is a map on this site for that park. Great fun, that place.

Deer Park is another fun place to ride.

I am not too familiar with Stokes, but I understand it is pretty technical.

Have a good visit!

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Stokes will eat you alive and spit your bike out................unless you LOVE rocks.............

Shaggz

A strong 7
kvsp is fun, but is not technical. no experience with stokes but i will echo joe's mahlon dickerson recommendation, with the caveat that it will be more enjoyable with a sherpa.

SpartaBard

Like most parks, you need to know which trails are good, and specifically at MD they can be tough to find w/o a sherpa.

KVSP - easy to navigate by yourself

Allamuchy, Wayway, Ringwood and probably stokes- bring a tent if you are going to go out by yourself w/o a gps

Deer park is a fun park that can be self navigated pretty easily.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
What's good about Stokes is the map that can be obtained at the ranger station, unlike most every othere state park, IS accurate and can be used in finding your way around.

What I've found about Stokes in a nutshell, is the trails are either too easy or killer (Cartwright) and there's more than a bit of riding on the pavement involved. Be sure to hit the Blue Mountain trail (no relation to the park in Peekskill, NY); it's the best trail in the park and some of the finest singletrack around.

NJ Jess

HIt up,..

some Black Bear cycling teammates. They will show you really cool flowing loops of Wayway that will but a smile on your face from ear to ear.

But you will be missing some great memories if you don't try Allamuchy.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Can someone write up a good loop to do at Stokes? Something that hits its best and most techy trails.

pinkshirtphotos

waway is fun but last time i rode there alone, with no map, no plan, and no brakes i found my way to clinton road and nearly shat myself. i dont know what was worse finding cabins in the middle of the woods, a sign saying mountain cat refuge, or the park ranger driving down the road saying i was on clinton road. i will never ride waway alone again.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Stokes has a inside ,middle and outside loop(10,17,22ish)They are on the map and have little to no pavement.You can also link into high point for 30+ rides.All loops are pummeling to the upper body and have decent elevation changes.If you are only moderately able and have a time, mechanical or injury issue and don't know your way you can be in deep shit in a hurry. On the plus side there are always staff there and you can take the # of the office w/ you in case you get in bad.If this happens at Waway or Alla you just die out there alone.......

SpartaBard

Brett, how is cell phone reception in that area? I am hoping to do some exploring near the end of the week.

Top Bottom