Kitchen Knives

walter

Fourth Party
Thats right folks, kitchen knives. With Mothers Day on the way, I have been looking into getting Mrs. Walter a Santoku knife. Havent really narrowed it down to any specific one, just looking for any advice if anybody out there has one or has used one.

We have a full set of knives already so Im not looking to buy a full set of knives, just one, possibly two. Any of you guys chefs or really good amateur cooks and can spare some knowledge?

This is the style of knife Im looking for, not this one in particular.

http://www.foodnetworkstore.com/p-638280-0 113 94-Cutlery_Rachael-Ray-from-Furi-EastWest-Knife.aspx

Thanks

walter

Fourth Party
We bought this:
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=172878&CCAID=FROOGLE172878

Awesomely awesome. Get it at Blood Bath & Beyond and use one of those 20% coupons to get the best deal. Really great knife and a solid price.

Sweet, will check it out tomorrow. Got one of those coupons right in front of me. Thanks for the tip, Ill have to buy you a beer or 6 sometime.:rolleyes:

:EDIT:
Dude, guess which brand of knife cant be purchased with the coupon, damn my crappy luck.

Last edited:

The Kalmyk

I know Global makes a nice all around knife they call the Deba....Good price and its all one piece....No riveting

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sweet, will check it out tomorrow. Got one of those coupons right in front of me. Thanks for the tip, Ill have to buy you a beer or 6 sometime.:rolleyes:

:EDIT:
Dude, guess which brand of knife cant be purchased with the coupon, damn my crappy luck.

I don't think they actually enforce that fine print. Let me ask the wife when she wakes up.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a Wustof 6 1/2 inch Santoku and it is da bomb. Cut the tip of my thumb off with it twice cause the sucker keeps such a damn good edge. Only had to sharpen twice in three years after using it almost daily. It makes me feel like I am on iron chef or something...

http://www.wusthof.com/en/database3.asp?id=283

ArmyOfNone

Iron%20Chef.jpg

Shaggz

A strong 7
walt, if you can hold off until tomorrow, i will browse through my back issues of cooks illustrated, as there were recent ratings on santoku knives. there are 2 versions of the knife, 1 with a traditional blade, and the other with recesses along the blade (think carving knife). the recesses help the food slide off the blade, especially important when you are making very thin slices in foods such as a cucumber or tomato.

there are pros and cons to each material (ceramic, steel, ss), so weigh them carefully when making your purchase. my knife skills are pretty good, and i'm still using my forschner chef's knife. personally, i will probably get a mandoline before the santoku. but that's me...

my folks have this one:

image.php

Holidays are usually a group effort in Mom's kitchen, and I love using the knife. it took me some time to get adjusted to the smooth handle, as i am always nervous that my hand will slip forward, and well, you know... Totally unfounded.

BTW, BB&B will accept expired coupons, as well as multiple coupons at check out.

walter

Fourth Party
Steve, if your volunteering to do some research, Im willing to wait. That is exactly the type of knife Im looking to get. Looking for about a 7 in. blade, under $100. The one norm and stb suggested are on my list for now. That Rachael Ray knife is made by Furi and sells for about $60.

Thanks.

ArmyOfNone

who would have known that our own Mr. Shaggz could drop some knowledge on the good ol' topic of cutlery...:D

ArmyOfNone

Who would have known that a thread about kitchen knives would be one of the busier threads in the past 24 hours.:rolleyes:

We just gotta keep them guessing. you will never know what is coming next!

Additions:

Ill see what knife the fiance is using. She loves the damn thing and it was in that range as well. My mom gave me a pampered chef knife when i moved into my apt a while back. Not that i cut much stuff up but it is nice to have.

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7
who would have known that our own Mr. Shaggz could drop some knowledge on the good ol' topic of cutlery...:D

I'm a well of useless information, and a damn good cook, too :D

If you MTB enough, cooking becomes real important to satisfy yourself. Wifes cooking will not do
My Mother is Italian and my wife is Irish, and to make matters worse, she doesn't like potatoes. Necessity is the mother of all invention.

Top Bottom