Kingdom Trip Conundrum ...

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Five of us are heading to VT and planning a one way ride from Moose Haven Trailhead back to East Burke. We've got two cars but neither fits more than 3 bikes. This means we have to leave both vehicles at the trailhead. The issue is getting back to retrieve them after we've finished our ride.

Are there easily accessible cabs or shuttles that can take us back to Moose Haven? Any ideas on how we can make this work without having to drive back and forth a bunch of times?

Ian F

Why shuttle? Park the car in the village, ride out to Moose Haven and back to the village for beers.
+1.
Looking at the TrailForks map of the area, it looks like you can do most of the trail systems now with minimal road connectors. There is some climbing, but none of the climbs up there are all that bad.
I miss doing 20+ mile loops up there. For some reason, they didn't seem as brutal as similar length rides in other places I go. For example, 20 miles in the Shed down in Fredrick, MD would be an epic day.

Reactions: don

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Here is the loop I did.

Start behind East Burke Sports toward cemetary -> Burnham Down -> Burnham Down New -> Trillium -> Magill Fields -> Butter Tubs -> North Pasture -> Shonter Shuffle -> Swamp Donkey -> Black Bear (repeat until tired) -> Flower Brook -> (based on your legs you can expand back to camp)

Gene

The Dancing Machine
KTA also has a tent in the parking lot next to the tiki bar. They'll give you this same loop, but Trailforks is a great investment and worthwhile.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Why shuttle? Park the car in the village, ride out to Moose Haven and back to the village for beers.
Not gonna work. We plan to hit Black Bear and Stormin Norman at least 2X each then pretty much everything we can on the way back to East Burke. We’re talking 20 miles and 3000’ right there. Riding to Moose Haven will suck up too much energy, especially since we plan to do 15+ the day before.

In the past it hasn’t been a problem because we had enough cars to leave one behind.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Biggest regret I had was listening to the other riders in my group and head back in VT-114 because they were a bunch of babies.

New Moto - Never turn down more miles when you have a free pass from the family

I would have added a few more miles and finished with a ride down Kitchel for mother F#%N sprinkles...

1630507886143.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not gonna work. We plan to hit Black Bear and Stormin Norman at least 2X each then pretty much everything we can on the way back to East Burke. We’re talking 20 miles and 3000’ right there. Riding to Moose Haven will suck up too much energy, especially since we plan to do 15+ the day before.

In the past it hasn’t been a problem because we had enough cars to leave one behind.

This is like one of those, "A man has to get a fox, a chicken, and a sack of corn across a river," things, isn't it?

So 5 people, 5 bikes, 2 cars.

1. All cars go to Moose Haven.
2. Drop 5 bikes and 3 people there
3. 2 cars & 2 people go back to East Burke
4. Leave 1 car there, 2 people drive in 1 car back
5. Ride bikes, etc
6. Reverse engineer the process to get your car back

Steps 3/4 is like a 20 minute round trip by car. I know everyone here will say "MAN THE FUCK UP" which is just how the Internet works. But the above is really how you do this. Pretty painless IMO.

We have done a similar thing in the past. 6 people with a 4 bike car. Bring a few back to the house, then go back and collect the 3 drunks at the Tiki bar. Similar concept here.

Ian F

Then just drive there, do those laps. Drive back to town, ride a different loop.

Or - drive both cars up. Drop off the bikes and non-drivers. Drive back to town, leave car and drive back up. (pretty much what Norm said - we've done this as well).

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
This is like one of those, "A man has to get a fox, a chicken, and a sack of corn across a river," things, isn't it?

So 5 people, 5 bikes, 2 cars.

1. All cars go to Moose Haven.
2. Drop 5 bikes and 3 people there
3. 2 cars & 2 people go back to East Burke
4. Leave 1 car there, 2 people drive in 1 car back
5. Ride bikes, etc
6. Reverse engineer the process to get your car back

Steps 3/4 is like a 20 minute round trip by car. I know everyone here will say "MAN THE FUCK UP" which is just how the Internet works. But the above is really how you do this. Pretty painless IMO.

We have done a similar thing in the past. 6 people with a 4 bike car. Bring a few back to the house, then go back and collect the 3 drunks at the Tiki bar. Similar concept here.
Yes, I know this is the obvious option other than riding there. I came here seeking another option, which does not require pedaling.

Apparently you folks are completely useless when it comes to making my life easier. 😁

jackx

Another Option: Guy who has an e-bike takes car and e-bike to end location, leaves car there and coasts on e-bike (with throttle so no pedaling) back to start.

Top Bottom