Kingdom Trails or Lake Placid

all_mt_clyde

I’m starting plan my yearly bike and camp trip. This will be mid-week after July 4th. Really can’t decide on KT or LP. Which ever I do this year, the other gets checked off next year. for me KT has been a bucket list but the stuff Barkeaters has built in LP looks equally interesting. looking for any random thoughts on each place as far as campsites, local breweries/restaurants, and nuances I may not have considered or find poking around the internet. Thanks.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been to both.

Riding is not even close. KT hands down.

Pretty much everything else is the other way. Burke is next to the moon. LP has much foods & socials.

MTBNJ team trip the week you’re talking about so you may see us there.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1, for KT for mtbing.

LP is nice but the trails are better at KT and there is Burke for downhill.

LP is a bit more diverse, it's got restaurants/bars/ lakes/ mtbing/hiking/ Olympic history and it's closer.

You'll have a good time at both, but KT is the place for mtbing.

I'd actually like to go to LP one summer and mix lake stuff like sailing and kayaking in with mtbing.

JDurk

Echoing what @Norm and @pooriggy have mentioned. Been to both locations, more non-mtb things-to-do in LP: Food choices, bars and lake life. Whiteface has DH on the mountain. Trail systems in LP area are spread out between Wilmington and LP. More lodging with proximity to trails in Burke/KT area.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1 on KT unless you are bringing anyone that's not into bikes. I never brought my wife to KT because there's nothing else to do. Unless they really like staring at a fire and drinking beer all day. That's fun too, I suppose.

LP is great though with a ton of good hikes and a nice village to walk around. Never did any biking there, so that speaks for other things you can do in the area for a 3 day weekend.

roc

I’m starting plan my yearly bike and camp trip. This will be mid-week after July 4th. Really can’t decide on KT or LP. Which ever I do this year, the other gets checked off next year. for me KT has been a bucket list but the stuff Barkeaters has built in LP looks equally interesting. looking for any random thoughts on each place as far as campsites, local breweries/restaurants, and nuances I may not have considered or find poking around the internet. Thanks.
If you're into camping, then KT will be great. The riding in KT is better, but LP is way better for any other activities, but if you're camping, none of that stuff matters, I guess. There is some good riding by LP, but for me, any of the downhill stuff is way over my head.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Whiteface is stopping DH i heard. Not sure if it's already stopped or this is the last season.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
North Conway should also be in this conversation. But maybe I like It as I've been to the other spots a dozen times each.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A lot of North Conway is off map or illegal. I’ve ridden there also and while it’s a cool area I think it’s a few years away from being a destination for most people.

Bring your climbing legs.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
KT still worth it after all of those land owners taking back their land and removing trail? Sugarbush is a great destination btw with Perry Hill being a must ride.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
KT still worth it after all of those land owners taking back their land and removing trail?

Yup. They took a hit last year but I am pretty sure they are gonna punch back hard in 2021.

johnbryanpeters

What I like about KT is that it's easy to punch out a forty or fifty mile day without repeating anything (this before the trails got bisected). I haven't been up there since the hoo-hah, but I understand that trails have been added and it's still good. Me, I want to get back to Pisgah.

Top Bottom