King rear hub axle

TonyC

King rear hub axle..
Did anyone upgrade to the HD axle w/ bolt on ends (or fun bolts) ??

reason:
I kind of stripped (rounded not badly) the cassette side of my axle with a POS Allen key. I adjusted the bearing cone then tightened up the ends with 2-5mm allen keys. While threading in the left side end cap it made me concerned that these threads are the only things holding together the whole axle beside the skewer rod.
While searching the web for another standard axle I came across the King HD axle. Did anyone convert? Pros/cons

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
King rear hub axle..
Did anyone upgrade to the HD axle w/ bolt on ends (or fun bolts) ??

reason:
I kind of stripped (rounded not badly) the cassette side of my axle with a POS Allen key. I adjusted the bearing cone then tightened up the ends with 2-5mm allen keys. While threading in the left side end cap it made me concerned that these threads are the only things holding together the whole axle beside the skewer rod.
While searching the web for another standard axle I came across the King HD axle. Did anyone convert? Pros/cons

On the new King wheels, there is a different style axle. While I guess it is still a "two piece" axle, it is different than the older ones. Previously, to set the bearings, you had loosen the axle with two allen keys and then set the bearing tension. Now the new style allows you to adjust the tension while the wheel in still on the bike, so no need to use all your arm strength to crack those bolts loose. Rather than locking against the two piece axle, the cone still threads to the axle but uses a little allen key to lock the cone in place. This whole axle will retrofit onto your old hubs and I strongly reccomend it. The fun bolts just seem like overkill, but I have not tried them. Seems like a great idea for single speeds though.

J-Dro

On the new King wheels, there is a different style axle. While I guess it is still a "two piece" axle, it is different than the older ones. Previously, to set the bearings, you had loosen the axle with two allen keys and then set the bearing tension. Now the new style allows you to adjust the tension while the wheel in still on the bike, so no need to use all your arm strength to crack those bolts loose. Rather than locking against the two piece axle, the cone still threads to the axle but uses a little allen key to lock the cone in place. This whole axle will retrofit onto your old hubs and I strongly reccomend it. The fun bolts just seem like overkill, but I have not tried them. Seems like a great idea for single speeds though.

How much are the parts to retrofit the King hub with the new axle? The old system was the Achilles heal of the King hub IMHO.

TonyC

How much are the parts to retrofit the King hub with the new axle? The old system was the Achilles heal of the King hub IMHO.

I found on the internet a HD axle with Qr end and adjusting clamp for $120..
Can you retro fit with old axle with the new type adjusting clamp?

Top Bottom