King of the Hill Off Road Duathlon

S

sap

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone has done this race before http://greenbrookracing.com/KOHd.html

I've been to Round Valley several times in the past- most recently to do some hiking- but my boyfriend (also a member here- rlb) went biking there once over the summer and said it was pretty tough (mostly the climbs). I've only ridden at the D&R Canal and 6 Mile.

I was just wondering about the intensity of this race and like I said, if anyone has ever competed in it in the past. I'm more interested in the duathlon than the triathlon.

Thanks!!

rocknrollgirl

Hi Stephanie,

I race Xterra and have done the KOTH. Most Xterra races are pretty tough and KOTH is no exception. The Bike loop at RV is about 11 miles with some pretty tough climbs and some technical sections.

The run loop is very challenging because they include a run up and down Toboggan Hill. If you are participating in the du, you will have to run twice, but I am not sure if they take you up the big climb both times or only once.

The racers are a mix of folks just trying to challenge themselves to finish and folks trying to qualify for a slot at Nationals. The latter group takes things pretty seriously. Nice group, but serious about their standings.

The first year that I raced there another female racer came over to me at the finish to congratulate me on my race. She shook my hand and the first thing she asked me was, "what age group are you in?"

I hope this helps answer your question. If I can be of any further help. do not hesitate to ask.

Ruth

noonito

I have raced it the past couple of years and placed in the duathlon. Like rocknrollgirl said, the course is difficult. The bike portion is an out-and-back on the Cushetunk Trail. The climbs are big, but the trail is not very technical except for a few very rocky areas. The downhills are long and very fast - watch out for loose sand and gravel. I would recommend riding it once or twice before racing.

The run course usually includes Toboggan Hill only on the second leg. It is a real killer. I have never seen anyone run the entire hill - the pain in your legs will make you walk. The rest of the run course is either on roads with small hills, grass, or gravel trails.

The management of the race is a little disorganized, but the race director is entertaining. I have always had a good time.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
thanks for mentioning this event. i may opt for the triathlon there the same day. I currently have a "shorty" wet suit, it may have to do.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I would definitely get some rides in there well before the month of the race. Totally different terrain than 6mile.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
i think is's a shorty tri wet suit

it has no sleeves, i used it in one race, wyckoff y tri, maybe i start using it again practicing in the indoor pool , i used it alot last summer in the outdoor pool, then nj state tri, said no wet suits as the temp raised above the given temp. so i didn't go (to that tri) since i did not feel comfortable swimming 1 mile w/o wet suit

I remember at the wykoff Y, a women elected to go w/ no wet suit, myself i actually got my arm cut in franklin lake from some under-water growth. i was less anxious to swim in mercer lake, that only allows swimming in it the one day a year (day of the triathlon)

anyone going to gunstock n.h. for the winter tri and/or weston mass for the winter tri or duathlon???

ellbiddy

This is on my to-do for 09, I love RV, I was debating doing the tri over the du, but I think I have more fun running than I do swimming. We'll see I guess. I wish the swim was in the open part of the lake instead of that quarantined area.

Dan

I have done this race almost every year. If anyone wants to do a workout run-bike-run on the race course I can show you the way. In march there is a race in south jersey called the oddman, also a good offroad du.

Dan

rocknrollgirl

i think is's a shorty tri wet suit

it has no sleeves, i used it in one race, wyckoff y tri, maybe i start using it again practicing in the indoor pool , i used it alot last summer in the outdoor pool, then nj state tri, said no wet suits as the temp raised above the given temp. so i didn't go (to that tri) since i did not feel comfortable swimming 1 mile w/o wet suit

I remember at the wykoff Y, a women elected to go w/ no wet suit, myself i actually got my arm cut in franklin lake from some under-water growth. i was less anxious to swim in mercer lake, that only allows swimming in it the one day a year (day of the triathlon)

anyone going to gunstock n.h. for the winter tri and/or weston mass for the winter tri or duathlon???

You should be careful about wearing your wetsuit in the pool. It is really not good for the neoprene.

I am not planning on doing any winter races. Just training.

S

sap

Hey everyone... thanks for all the responses :)

Ruth- I'd be doing this to challenge myself... as of now I have zero intentions of becoming competitive. I guess you do a lot of these- triathlons, races, etc.?

Depending on the weather, we might head over there in the morning for some hiking; however I hear we're supposed to get snow- though that usually doesn't mean much.

Obviously I am new to all this- but what is Toboggan Hill all about? I'm guessing its crazy steep?

I'm definitely planning to TRY to bike there a few times soon. Bf says its pretty tough- guess I’m just being ambitious!

Thanks again for all the info :)

rocknrollgirl

Hi sap,
Yes, triathlon is my primary sport. I race for the mtbnj.com team, but I am a multisport girl at heart. Shhh...don't tell anybody.:)

So I do as many tri's in the season as I do bike races.

The course will be challenging, but if you start now, it is doable. I strongly suggest that you pre-ride the course, but also step up your training to include some serious hill work on a regular basis.

If you want, you can pm me with your proposed training plan and I will take a look at it.

Have fun and happy training!

Ruth

noonito

Yes, Toboggan Hill is crazy steep and long. The course goes up to the top, turns around, and goes back down. Running down it is almost as bad as going up. The surface is grass with some ruts.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have done this race almost every year. If anyone wants to do a workout run-bike-run on the race course I can show you the way. In march there is a race in south jersey called the oddman, also a good offroad du.

Dan

SAP,

The KOTH is all about hills, so to speak. The Oddman that Dan mentioned is a much flatter race. The bike portion is much much easier IMO, and the run has no hills worth mentioning. If you are out just for the challenge of finishing an off-road duathlon, I would recommend starting with the Oddman. If you want a true physical challenge, do the KOTH.

S

sap

Thanks Chemgirl. Yea, the more I think about it, I don't think I'd be able to sufficiently train for KOTH in time for May, just a bit out of shape right now. I will look into the Oddman!

Thanks again for all the posts. And Ruth, I'm still working on that training log :)

ellbiddy

Apparently insurance premium hikes, the state wanted more coverage and they couldn't afford it...or so the internet says. This really sucks. We should have our own duathlon/tri there King of MTBNJ, just one really big group ride and ride/run the hills and such.

THATmanMANNY

WOW. This totally sucks! It was 'my race' of the year. WTF! :getsome: Xterra is a a big series. Crazy it got canceled.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions