Kid's MTB Race, Hilltop Grasshopper, Saturday Aug 18

overbrook

Parents, race day is coming and last year's competition was fierce as well as fun.

Saturday, August 18 @ 9:00 AM first race

Essex County Hilltop Reservation, North Caldwell

This is the Third Annual Kid’s Bike Race in the Hilltop in North Caldwell, (seriously, Essex County, NJ)

The Essex County Parks Department and the Hilltop Conservancy invite all cyclists, grades k - 8 to come and ride and race for prizes on a specially prepared 0.6 mile Kid's Korse. (You can ride the Kid's Korse right now, it's marked and clear)

Helmets are mandatory.

Cheering and cowbells are encouraged

The spectator friendly course is next to the sports field parking lot on Courter Lane and Mountain Avenue in North Caldwell.

Registration opens at 7:30 AM and competition starts at 9:00 AM for the youngest competitors, K – 1st grade. There is a $10.00 registration fee per participant which includes a bicycle technical inspection. Any bike in good working order is eligible to race. (Net proceeds will be donated to the Hilltop Conservancy)

Classes for boys and girls K – 1st grade, 2nd – 3rd grade, 4th – 5th grade, 6th – 8th grade, with prizes for top 3 class finishers.

To Pre-Register online

o visit Bikereg.com and Hilltop Grasshopper Kids Bike Race

For up to the minute details and links to maps, see

o Hilltop Grasshopper Kid's Race | JORBA - You Dig?
o http://www.hilltopconservancy.org/map_Park_Map.pdf

You have probably heard that this is a great event to give your kids a taste of the fun and excitement of racing......please help bring out more kids and distribute this event notice any way you can.....kids on bikes, it's all good

Volunteers are needed to help on race day, email hilltopkidsrace@gmail.com with questions or send a private message through this forum

Last edited:
The Kid's Korse has just been buffed for race training, get out there with those young racers and help them learn the course and find their fast lines.

August 18 is race day, 60 days and counting down to the first start at 0900

Please help to spread the word about this race that is suitable for any level racer

(If you are a regular cyclist in the hilltop, please try to include the Kid's Korse in your route and help burn in the single track)

Thanks to a good samaritan for clearing a huge tree that fell on the korse, all clear to get back to more race training!

I was in the area and took my daughter for a test ride. Which direction does the race go? Clockwise or counter? I must say that trail was a bit harder than anticipated, do kinder gardeners and first graders really make it around this course?

Two years ago it went clockwise (we had to skip last year.)

It's not the typical afterthought course, it has some tech but not too much, Daniel was in 1st grade then - he was on his 2nd or 3rd race at this point

4914027990_3534950c7e_b.jpg

Thanks to a good samaritan for clearing a huge tree that fell on the korse, all clear to get back to more race training!

Yeah, thanks for clearing that tree. My 6 year old and I went up to walk the Kid's Korse last weekend and it fell while we were walking it. (I swear we didn't touch it!) Pretty big tree. Otherwise the course looks good. It sounds like there's going to be some tough competition! Anyone know if the course starts at the parking lot end or up by the grassy part?

Glad that the big tree didn't take out a competitor and parent!

The course runs clockwise with the starting line on the old road at the back of the big new parking lot. We'll get the starting line repainted soon.

Keep helping those kids train for August 18

Counting down to race day...and counting on mtb parents to get those kids out there to enjoy the racing......the korse is clear and fast

My son had a great time riding the course today. Bike upgrade is in the near future and he wants to "do laps" tomorrow. Thanks to the Hilltop Conservancy members and the sponsors that made this happen.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345342317.968313.jpg

I have pics! I left right from the race to drive to the Virginia but stuck the uploader going, looks like they all upload. Totally rough, uncategorized, and late but they are there. I'll fix it as I can. Please let me know if you find your kid and like the picture, ill touch it up when I get home. I'd be happy to but don't have my computer right now.

Great pics Luke! Thanks for your hard work!

Let me know when you get around to updating these, I'd like to buy at least one of my sons pics and frame it for him. The one with the fade effect.....

Awesome pictures GTLuke! Serious thanks for being there and posting em up.

And big thanks to Hilltop Conservancy, Cycle Craft, Jorba, Powerbar for making that race happen. Was a great motivator for the kids who already love the sport and the ones who will now.

My 3 kids were there. Awesome race, thought it was going to be cancelled due to the rain. They didn't win, but won the raffle for a skateboard. Now fighting for it so no one's riding anymore.

Great pics Luke! Thanks to all the race organizers and sponsors. Lots and lots of fun. My boy's first race and he had a blast! He didn't win but he walked away with a lot of pride and a sense of accomplishment for finishing. This was a great family fun event. Still wondering why Essex County won't do more to support this sport...
-Dave

Back
Top Bottom